HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Chants of 'classrooms, no...

Fri Jul 12, 2019, 09:37 PM

Chants of 'classrooms, not cages' as hundreds gather for immigration vigil in DC

Source: usatoday

Olivia Sanchez, USA TODAY Published 8:26 p.m. ET July 12, 2019 | Updated 9:28 p.m. ET July 12, 2019

WASHINGTON – Hundreds of people gathered Friday night for Washington’s “Lights for Liberty” event and vigil, one of more than 700 that were planned across five continents to raise awareness of conditions in immigrant detention facilities in the southern United States.

A large group from the American Federation of Teachers marched to the event, chanting “classrooms, not cages.” They were welcomed by the executive director of CASA, Gustavo Torres. CASA is the nation's largest advocacy group for Latino immigrants.

“Si se puede,” Torres said. “Yes, we can!”

Organizers of “Lights for Liberty” said that D.C. was one of the first cities they planned a vigil in, specifically to “demand action from Congress to end concentration camps and impeach the President,” according to the group's website........................................

Read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/12/lights-liberty-dc-immigration-vigil-hundreds-gather-protest/1710297001/

Crowd outside the White House remembers eight children who died seeking a better life in this country #LightsforLiberty

LightsForLiberty-- Official
‏ @Lights4Liberty

New York.

#Lights4liberty
#DontLookAway
#EndUSConcentrationCamps

9 replies, 744 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chants of 'classrooms, not cages' as hundreds gather for immigration vigil in DC (Original post)
riversedge Friday OP
tblue37 Friday #1
Leghorn21 Friday #2
sinkingfeeling Friday #3
Mersky Friday #4
yellowdogintexas Saturday #5
Mersky Saturday #8
sandensea Saturday #6
Mersky Saturday #7
Leghorn21 Saturday #9

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Fri Jul 12, 2019, 09:41 PM

1. K&R for visibility. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

2. OMG, river!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for putting this post together, WOW

It’s just beautiful

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 12, 2019, 10:38 PM

3. Just got home from vigil held in Springdale, AR. Somewhere

between 150 and 200 attended. We had 3 migrant Spanish speaking women tell their stories of escape from Columbia, El Salvador, and Honduras.
Heartbreaking.

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #3)

Fri Jul 12, 2019, 11:46 PM

4. Freakin' excellent! Is heartening to hear this from Arkansas!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

5. 200 in Weatherford, TX

west of Ft Worth
There were also vigils in Burleson, Arlington and Dallas No numbers for those

Reply to this post

Response to yellowdogintexas (Reply #5)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 03:12 AM

8. Well. Alright! That's Texas turning out!

Weatherford is just a little north of where my congressional district stops (TX-25th). That makes you, like, my neighbor. Would love to give you a high five, but you'd have to wait several hours with your hand in the air.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:33 AM

6. People of valor and compassion

Still, we all know none of these abuses will stop as long as the Orange Blob is ensconced in the Oval Office.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 02:00 AM

7. Hundreds in Austin. Saw a 2018 hero of mine and heard hard truths

Was so tired, but I made it to the vigil in time to hear Lloyd Doggett speak. You know, I forget how important it is to see other shining faces listening, nodding, chanting, and wiping away tears as you do the same. You can be heard as you listen, as you just stand there not saying a thing.

I darn near went and asked Mike Seigel, who sounded great at the podium, for an autograph. He successfully took on Waller County for their student voter suppression shell game operation. Would go on to give Michael McCaul a run for his money in a district that runs from Houston to Austin thru mostly rural, small towns known for smoked meats, speed traps, and more.

Here's the moment my heart stopped and tears flowed: an immigration attorney (apologies, I don't recall her name) spoke of something I never thought would need to be uttered in this country of ours.

I must paraphrase:

If you know of people living in fear over their immigration status, you can help them by going grocery shopping for them, run errands for them. Employers can help by letting them stay home, and still pay them.

I couldn't control my tears. The raids and draconian treatment are causing terror in people's lives.

DUers, my worst day is nothing compared to the oppression that families across the nation are living under right now. It's time to resist, peacefully, in whatever way you can.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:16 PM

9. Kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread