HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Tropical Storm Barry will...

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 05:53 AM

Tropical Storm Barry will become Hurricane Barry by Friday, forecasters say

Source: Portland Press Herald

ORLANDO, Fla. — The area of disturbed weather in the Gulf of Mexico is not yet Tropical Storm Barry, but the system is expected to strengthen into Hurricane Barry by Friday, the National Hurricane Center said Wednesday evening.

The slow-moving storm is expected to dump as much as 18 inches of rain along the central Gulf Coast and lower Mississippi Valley, which could cause a “dangerous” storm surge in the coming days. Storm surge, tropical storm and hurricane watches were put into effect Wednesday evening for much of the Louisiana coast as meteorologists expect the developing tropical system to grow stronger.

“Reports from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds are near 30 mph with higher gusts,” the hurricane center said in its 5 p.m. EDT update. “Strengthening is forecast during the next 72 hours, and the disturbance is forecast to become a tropical depression Thursday morning, a tropical storm Thursday night, and a hurricane on Friday.”

Winds only need to increase to 39 mph for the system to become Tropical Storm Barry.

<more>

Read more: https://www.pressherald.com/2019/07/10/tropical-storm-barry-will-become-hurricane-barry-by-friday-forecasters-say/

From the National Hurricane Center...

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT02/refresh/AL022019_key_messages+png/085028_key_messages_sm.png

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT02/refresh/AL022019_key_messages+png/085028_key_messages_sm.png

6 replies, 1909 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tropical Storm Barry will become Hurricane Barry by Friday, forecasters say (Original post)
jpak Jul 11 OP
FakeNoose Jul 11 #1
Roy Rolling Jul 11 #3
keithbvadu2 Jul 11 #2
Gothmog Jul 11 #4
eppur_se_muova Jul 11 #5
Bayard Jul 11 #6

Response to jpak (Original post)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 08:01 AM

1. Well this looks scary

If I were in New Orleans I think I'd be on my way out of town right now.
Good luck and stay safe everyone!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 08:30 AM

3. I'm in New Orleans

We are watching carefully, and filtering out the sensationalist reports. The biggest risk at this time is a storm surge heading up the Mississippi River, causing it to overtop the levees and spill into the city and lower Plaquemines parish.

A very strange storm, one for the books.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 08:28 AM

2. Get ready.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 08:43 AM

4. We are watching this storm here in Texas

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 10:16 AM

5. If we make it to the O's, we have to name one Other Barry. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 11:08 AM

6. How can you take a hurricane seriously that is named Barry?

Sorry, had to ask.

You folks be safe down there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread