HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 4.4 Lake Erie earthquake ...

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 11:44 AM

4.4 Lake Erie earthquake strikes Cleveland area

Source: cleveland.com

EASTLAKE, Ohio - An earthquake registering 4.4 was detected in Lake Erie, a half-mile north of Eastlake, shortly before 11 a.m. Monday morning.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources said an aftershock of 2.2 was detected eight minutes later at 10:58 a.m. Both recordings are considered preliminary, said Eric Heis, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Information from multiple seismic stations are taken into account, Heis said.

<snip>

Though earthquakes are infrequent in Ohio in comparison to other areas of the country, ODNR reports that there have been at least 200 earthquakes with epicenters in Ohio since 1776. Among those, at least 15 have caused at least minor damage.

Generally, according to ODNR, an earthquake 3.5 to 4.1 is felt by most people, with possible damage to windows. More, but small damage, normally can occur with earthquakes of 4.1 to 4.7.

</snip>

Read more: https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/06/was-that-an-earthquake-that-rattled-northern-ohio-monday-morning.html

Not a place you think of when earthquakes are mentioned...

6 replies, 1457 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply 4.4 Lake Erie earthquake strikes Cleveland area (Original post)
Dennis Donovan Jun 10 OP
Roland99 Jun 10 #1
luvs2sing Jun 10 #2
llmart Jun 10 #3
cstanleytech Jun 10 #4
SkatmanRoth Jun 10 #5
BigDemVoter Jun 10 #6

Response to Dennis Donovan (Original post)

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 12:10 PM

1. Gawd's pissed about the abortion law

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 12:18 PM

2. We've had a few..

The most famous being the 5.0 quake in January 1986 in Lake county. We felt that one down here in Columbus. The epicenter was a few miles from the Perry Nuclear Power Plant. My in-laws lived up there, very near the epicenter. When the quake hit, everyone thought it was a disaster at the plant. FILís boss sent everyone home to take care of their families. Their apartment had minor damage from things falling off shelves and tables. Frightening!

Reply to this post

Response to luvs2sing (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 02:25 PM

3. I remember that one.

I had just moved from that area to another state and my family members who still lived there called to tell me about it. They were calling it the Quake on the Lake.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 05:51 PM

4. Actually op I'm not surprised as the great lakes themselves exist because

they are part of a failed oceanic rift if I recall correctly.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 06:52 PM

5. Don't forget that 15000 years ago the whole place was under a mile thick ice sheet

Once all the weight of the ice was gone, the land started to rise. Things happen slow with geologic changes, and this earthquake is the land readjusting to the missing ice.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 10, 2019, 07:17 PM

6. Damn. Have they had quakes before, or is it related to fracking or something else?

Yikes. I live in California, and I am always wary of one. . .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread