HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Before Ethiopian Crash, B...

Tue May 14, 2019, 06:32 PM

Before Ethiopian Crash, Boeing Resisted Pilots' Calls for Aggressive Steps on 737 Max

Last edited Tue May 14, 2019, 10:28 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: New York Times

From the New York Times:

Michael Michaelis, an American pilot, argued that Boeing should push the F.A.A. to issue what is known as an emergency airworthiness directive.

The F.A.A. had already issued one directive after the Lion Air crash, instructing airlines to revise their flight manuals to include information on how to respond to a malfunction of the anti-stall system known as MCAS. But Mr. Michaelis pushed Boeing to consider calling for an additional one to update the software.

Such a procedure would have required Boeing and airlines in the United States to take immediate action to ensure the safety of the Max, and would have likely taken the jet out of service temporarily.

“My question to you, as Boeing, is why wouldn’t you say this is the smartest thing to do?” Mr. Michaelis said. “Say we’re going to do everything we can to protect that traveling public in accordance with what our pilots unions are telling us.”

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/business/boeing-737-max-ethiopian-plane-crash.html

2 replies, 703 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Before Ethiopian Crash, Boeing Resisted Pilots' Calls for Aggressive Steps on 737 Max (Original post)
cpamomfromtexas Tuesday OP
elleng Tuesday #1
groundloop Tuesday #2

Response to cpamomfromtexas (Original post)

Tue May 14, 2019, 06:45 PM

1. Resisted or IGNORED?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Tue May 14, 2019, 07:39 PM

2. Sounds like where I work.... Safety is top priority (unless it gets in the way of the bottom line)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread