HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Australian toddler snatch...

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 07:44 PM

Australian toddler snatched by dingo

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Portland Press Herald

A family’s camping trip to Fraser Island in northeastern Australia was interrupted early Friday by the cries of their 14-month-old child – a disturbance that is not uncommon in households with toddlers.

But the boy’s parents made an unimaginable discovery upon waking up to comfort their son: He was no longer in their camper van. Their panic was probably compounded by the fading volume of the boy’s screams, which emerged from outside the trailer and were “becoming more distant.”

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the boy’s father raced outside and found his son, who was being dragged several meters away by a dingo that officials say crept inside the van.

Paramedics detailed the father’s heroic effort, in which he retrieved his child while fighting off several other dingoes nearby. The 14-month-old was alive but battered, suffering from a fractured skull in addition to lacerations across the back of his head and neck, ABC News reported.

<more>

Read more: https://www.pressherald.com/2019/04/20/they-woke-up-to-screams-outside-a-dingo-had-their-toddler/

10 replies, 2697 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to jpak (Original post)

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 08:37 PM

1. Terrible story... But there is a Seinfeld episode for everything... So sorry folks...

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to winstars (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 08:52 PM

2. There's actually a movie starring Meryl Streep about an event like this-

its not just something Seinfeld made up.

A Cry in the Dark: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094924/

Response to milestogo (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 08:56 PM

3. It's a true story and that poor woman was finally vindicated.

Dingoes are wild animals and this has happened more than once.

Response to Demit (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 21, 2019, 02:59 AM

7. And the authorities only had to ask the indigenous people who were helping look for the baby.

They had volunteered the information that their people had lost babies to dingoes in the past. But they weren't listened to. White man knows best.

Response to winstars (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 10:55 PM

5. I loved that show

Elaine is so proud of her clever self

Sat Apr 20, 2019, 09:13 PM

4. It went into their van? That's really BOLD!!

Let's hope the boy makes a full recovery and doesn't suffer from nightmares about this.

I saw that Seinfeld episode, but never knew what Elaine was talking about until I saw the movie... OMG what a living nightmare. After finding out the whole story, I wonder if the Seinfeld writers felt a tug of remorse.

Response to Talitha (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 21, 2019, 09:30 AM

9. I alway thought they were making fun of the movie and Meryl Streep in particular.

Sun Apr 21, 2019, 12:11 AM

6. The Lindy Chamberlain case

was about the dingo that ate her baby. This was decades ago, at a campsite at Uluru/Ayers Rock.
The current incident was on Fraser Island, also at a camp site.

I'm old enough to have lived through that time 'A Dingo Ate My Baby!' here in Australia.

Dingoes may look like dogs, but tame they aren't. The wounds suffered by this baby is classic dingo 'capture, carry off, kill, eat' behaviour.

Their daily routine is to look for food, anything small enough to kill and carry off is fair game. Baby rabbits, baby kangaroos, and yes, baby humans.

Response to Aussie105 (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 21, 2019, 03:04 AM

8. And humans have been making it difficult for themselves on Fraser for quite a few decades now.

They feed the dingoes leftovers which means the dingoes lose their fear of humans and will hunt much more in their vicinity..."but tame they aren't"!

Sun Apr 21, 2019, 09:54 AM

10. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.