HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Homeland Security Disband...

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:16 AM

Homeland Security Disbands Domestic Terror Intelligence Unit

Source: The Daily Beast

While the body counts from domestic terror attacks mount, the analysts looking into those attacks have been moved.

Betsy Woodruff
04.02.19 5:00 AM ET

The Department of Homeland Security has disbanded a group of intelligence analysts who focused on domestic terrorism, The Daily Beast has learned. Numerous current and former DHS officials say they find the development concerning, as the threat of homegrown terrorism—including white supremacist terrorism—is growing.

In the wake of this move, officials said the number of analytic reports produced by DHS about domestic terrorism, including the threat from white supremacists, has dropped significantly. People in and close to the department said this has generated significant concern at headquarters.

“It’s especially problematic given the growth in right-wing extremism and domestic terrorism we are seeing in the U.S. and abroad,” one former intelligence official told The Daily Beast.

The group in question was a branch of analysts in DHS’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A). They focused on the threat from homegrown violent extremists and domestic terrorists. The analysts there shared information with state and local law enforcement to help them protect their communities from these threats.

Read more: https://www.thedailybeast.com/homeland-security-disbands-domestic-terror-intelligence-unit?ref=home

30 replies, 2228 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Homeland Security Disbands Domestic Terror Intelligence Unit (Original post)
DonViejo Apr 2 OP
beachbum bob Apr 2 #1
Zoonart Apr 2 #2
beachbum bob Apr 2 #3
Traildogbob Apr 2 #5
Zoonart Apr 2 #6
lagomorph777 Apr 2 #17
bigbrother05 Apr 2 #4
Maxheader Apr 2 #7
Roy Rolling Apr 2 #8
LiberalArkie Apr 2 #9
Gato malo Apr 2 #10
Firestorm49 Apr 2 #11
Oneironaut Apr 2 #12
dustyscamp Apr 2 #15
0rganism Apr 2 #22
Progressive Jones Apr 2 #29
lark Apr 2 #13
Hugin Apr 2 #14
Shanti Mama Apr 2 #16
CrispyQ Apr 2 #20
Mc Mike Apr 2 #18
iscooterliberally Apr 2 #19
Nitram Apr 2 #21
corbettkroehler Apr 2 #23
Rabrrrrrr Apr 2 #24
truthisfreedom Apr 2 #25
Thomas Hurt Apr 2 #26
democratisphere Apr 2 #27
JDC Apr 2 #28
ck4829 Apr 3 #30

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:20 AM

1. trump's orders govt to coverup on american nazis, american militias. The question is why?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to beachbum bob (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:25 AM

2. The putsch is coming.

Reply to this post

Response to Zoonart (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:27 AM

3. we misunderestimate the level of american nazis in the trump administration, the military and across

america in law enforcement.

Reply to this post

Response to beachbum bob (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:32 AM

5. No worries

russia will send troops to help "US" defeat Nazi invasion this time. And we will welcome the Russian troops here.........in the Trogen Horse. MurKKKa. MMGA!

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:32 AM

6. I am afraid that you are probably correct.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 10:16 AM

17. He's recruiting the terrorists; can't have anybody reporting on them.

Reply to this post

Response to beachbum bob (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:28 AM

4. 2020?

With all the hubbub about the Russians, gotta give those brownshirts room to intimidate.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:33 AM

7. Nasty..

Like stumpy said isis was whipped and then a fruit stand was blown up and killed
four americans? Manbij, a northern Syrian city.

Home grown terrorism is under control..I can sleep better now...

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:36 AM

8. Moved to Defense

The "Domestic Terrorism" division is now the "Domestic Patriots" division of the military.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 08:52 AM

9. This scares me more than anything else he has done.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:01 AM

10. Of course

They have no interest in fighting the white terrorists.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:36 AM

11. As usual, the question becomes, "why"? Same question, different day.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:40 AM

12. I think it's interesting how everyone talks about Russian bots, but not

about how the alt-right is essentially trying to dominate YouTube and Facebook. What they’re doing is 100X worse than Russian interference.

The bulk of cyber influence campaigns in 2020 will be from the alt-right.

Reply to this post

Response to Oneironaut (Reply #12)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:53 AM

15. I wish more people were aware of what the Alt-Right are doing online instead of scoffing it off.

A lot of the Dems on here just don't fully understand how the internet works.

Reply to this post

Response to dustyscamp (Reply #15)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 01:11 PM

22. yep, DU is in 80% ostrich mode with respect to the alt-right

they've been hyperactive on youtube for the last year, testing messaging and pulling in alienated young white males by the thousands into various fabricated culture wars. no telling what will happen once the 2020 campaigns are in full swing, i think the potential for stochastic terrorism is quite real.

leftube exists and has some effective counters (lookin' at you, ContraPoints) but they're up against mega-streamers like PewDiePie. it's not even close to even. the alt-right (or their "thought" leaders) are very close to completely solving youtube's landing page algorithm. seems pretty harmless now, when the major controversies they push are things like Captain Marvel and the She-Ra reboot, but that could change very quickly once primary season hits.

Reply to this post

Response to 0rganism (Reply #22)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 11:24 PM

29. K & R !!! Thank You!

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:50 AM

13. They don't want to stop these asses, they want to help them.

They constantly provide recruiting material with their lies and specious tweets. RWers killing us & the rich stealing all our money is exactly what he wants and is pushing for every day.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:52 AM

14. "Numerous current and former DHS officials say they find the development concerning..."

No kidding. Whoa.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 09:58 AM

16. I listened to an interesting story, forget which podcast/radioshow

It was about the young white male demographic and how quickly they're presented with disinformation when they search the net for video trailers and other things. 45's popularity has surged in this group, further narrowed to those who are Independent in their political affiliation. The conjecture was because of the material they're barraged with online. Terrifying.

Reply to this post

Response to Shanti Mama (Reply #16)

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 11:23 AM

20. I read an article a few months ago

about how the conspiracy theories on the left get picked up by the main stream media & eventually debunked. But the right wing conspiracy theories ricochet around the right wing echo chamber & never get debunked by the MSM - probably cuz they're so fucking crazy the MSM doesn't want to touch them.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 10:29 AM

18. 100% of the attacks are coming from far right whities.

Every now and then, some repug Visa Express recipient will pop up, but not lately. It's been all white nazi, all the time.

So let's quit looking at the issue.

Also, our Homeland Security intel people should partner up with Vlad's, to work on election cyber security measures.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 10:36 AM

19. This story works hand in hand with another story I saw on Full Frontal last week.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/full-frontal-with-samantha-bee-allana-harkin-on-mavni.html

Here’s a sneak peek from tonight’s episode of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, where correspondent Allana Harkin attempts to bring some #viral #buzz to a situation some immigrants are facing right now in the U.S. that is, as Harkin puts it, “fucking impossible.” Harkin meets former Lieutenant Colonel Margaret Stock, who started a program called MAVNI (Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest), which gives qualified immigrants an opportunity to gain U.S. citizenship after enlisting in the military for eight years.

There’s just one small problem, though: Donald Trump canceled the program, and now there are immigrants out there who have already served in the military whose path to citizenship is no longer guaranteed. Plus, they were “re-vetted” through what Stock calls “the most ham-handed background checks I had ever seen in my life,” which apparently considers immigrants with parents living in another country “suspicious” for having “foreign ties.” In addition to Stock, Harkin speaks with several immigrants in the MAVNI program who, instead of hoping for citizenship, are now facing the possibility of deportation. So, what can we do to help? Harkin has an idea: “Oh, this shit is going viral.”

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 11:53 AM

21. WTF?! I thought domestic terror acts by right wing white supremacists, anti-abortionist, and others

were increasing. Trump is determined to make our national security apparatus conform to his deranged view of the world, putting the nation in real peril.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 02:04 PM

23. The FBI's Spying On Peaceful, Nonviolent Protestors Of Color Will Continue Unabated (n/t)

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 02:31 PM

24. Perhaps a prelude to making it possible for the GOP to mobilize their fan base before the election.

I wonder if the GOP is doing this in order that the white nationalists, supremacists, hate groups, nazis, etc. can be mobilized to harass, terrorize, and perhaps even murder democratic voters in the coming presidential election. Without anyone investigating them, there's not much chance of them getting arrested before they can do their bierhallputsches and Kristallnachts and Reichtags.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 03:20 PM

26. the harassment of Trump's brown shirts has to end I guess...

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 03:25 PM

27. 'merkins can't be domestic terrorists; it's those damn criminal refugees and asylum seekers.

Jeebus H. Always creating false and fake narratives.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 2, 2019, 04:16 PM

28. I would not be surprised to hear they are actively involved in assisting

These groups.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 07:11 AM

30. K&R

Reply to this post