HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » US bars entry of Internat...

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 01:46 PM

US bars entry of International Criminal Court investigators

Source: Associated Press

By MATTHEW LEE
an hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States will revoke or deny visas to International Criminal Court personnel who try to investigate or prosecute alleged abuses committed by U.S. forces in Afghanistan or elsewhere, and may do the same with those who seeking action against Israel, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.

The Hague-based court, the first global tribunal for war crimes, said it would continue to operate “undeterred” by the U.S. action.

Pompeo made good on a threat delivered last September by President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, John Bolton. The U.S. had already moved against some employees of The Hague-based court, Pompeo said, but he declined to say how many or what cases they may have been investigating.

“We are determined to protect the American and allied military and civilian personnel from living in fear of unjust prosecution for actions taken to defend our great nation,” Pompeo said.

-snip-

Read more: https://apnews.com/08e538e370914f6e8243e237dbde50b5

18 replies, 1725 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply US bars entry of International Criminal Court investigators (Original post)
Eugene Friday OP
C_U_L8R Friday #1
matt819 Friday #2
SunSeeker Friday #3
ffr Friday #4
denvine Friday #5
trev Friday #6
ancianita Friday #7
sinkingfeeling Friday #11
ancianita Friday #12
neohippie Friday #8
sakabatou Friday #9
Crowman2009 Friday #10
Blue_Tires Friday #13
Hotler Friday #14
allgood33 Friday #15
Firestorm49 Saturday #16
Solly Mack Saturday #17
Sherman A1 Saturday #18

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 01:58 PM

1. We are the bad guys.

This is so discouraging.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:03 PM

2. Time for other countries to do the same to US officials traveling there

Also, time for those same countries to start demanding draw downs of US bases and other official US entities.

Yes, I know, these are international organizations, and I'm suggesting actions on the part of individual countries. But these kinds of responses are long overdue. American officials should no longer be welcome.

I think New Zealand should recall its ambassador to the US. After all, the president of the US was the impetus behind yesterday's attack. And trump sees individuals like this killer and motorcycle gangs and other thugs to be valid actors representing his national objectives. So, in a sense, this killer was engaging in supported US actions, or at least actions supported by trump. That's convoluted, I know, but we need to see this responses. Look, you're never going to isolate the US - its economic and military might is too great. But you can at least try to isolate the administration and lock it out of participation in multilateral and bilateral activities.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:05 PM

3. Thankfully, the Hague, like Mueller, continues to operate undeterred. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:11 PM

4. Humiliating and embarrassing to know we harbor war criminals like a 3rd world country.

But thank goodness democrats & Hillary Clinton were defeated in 2016. We wouldn't want to be seen taking the high road on war crimes.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:14 PM

5. Embarrassing case of

"Do as I say, not as I do". Everyone else should be held accountable except for us.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:28 PM

6. Republicans have always been against the ICC.

They demand countries like Iraq be held accountable, but they won't be accountable themselves.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:31 PM

7. Clinton, Bush and Obama never moved toward our signatory status with the ICC. It's

the true international body for adjudicating what other international signatories call crimes.

But there's a history behind our not signing what wasn't necessarily bad faith. The US's leaders and courts have not rejected the existence or importance of the ICC itself, or its activities.

We don't think we're above international law, since we did sign the Geneva Convention in 1948. It's just that, for longstanding reasons that may be classified, we refuse the ICC jurisdiction. There could be reasons that come from our position in providing worldwide military stability for global trade and other activities, or intelligence that we're not privy to.

What Pompeo said is historically consistent with our past relationship with the ICC when said directly to ICC employees:

If you are responsible for the proposed ICC investigation of U.S. personnel in connection with the situation in Afghanistan, you should not assume that you still have or will get a visa or will be permitted to enter the United States.

Historically speaking, he's not wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #7)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 04:29 PM

11. If I remember correctly, the Geneva Convention outlaws torture of 'enemy'

captives. IMHO, the United States has been in violation since 2002.

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #11)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 04:43 PM

12. I hear you. Who adjudicates that. The home country with a judiciary. Failing that, the

judiciary appeals the case to an international member judiciary of the ICC; say, Spain. A number of international indictments have been made by Spain.

Our government hasn't tackled torture, except for Obama's official declaration.

Then what did Obama and our courts do. I don't know.

There's a long procedure for getting this to the ICC. But since we and it have no standing with each other, their investigators can't come in to investigate.

So now what. I don't know.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 03:22 PM

9. WTF?

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 03:53 PM

10. We have an epidemic of deifying our military.

The right-wing assholes act like the armed forces are nothing but infallible angels pure as the driven snow or some shit.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 05:13 PM

13. Greenwald and Scahill were unavailable for comment

I'm old enough to remember when they at least pretended to give a shit about international law...

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 07:58 PM

14. Dick Chaney wanting to take a trip outside the country? nt

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 09:09 PM

15. We set the example for the world to follow, just like white supremacists mass murders.

This is all so distressful.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 16, 2019, 12:40 AM

16. The U S military, or Eric Prince's band of gypsies, protected BY the U S military?

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 16, 2019, 02:55 AM

17. Color me not the least bit surprised or shocked or whatever.

SSDD.

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #17)

Sat Mar 16, 2019, 06:55 AM

18. Agreed

No surprise here.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread