HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nebraska Dam at 'High Ris...

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:44 AM

Nebraska Dam at 'High Risk' Of Failure, Nuclear Power Plant Threatened by Deadly, Historic Flooding

Source: The Weather Channel

By Pam Wright and Ron Brackett

Flooding in parts of the Midwest has left one man dead and threatens a Nebraska dam and nuclear power plant as heavy rains mixed with a melting snowpack swell waterways to historic levels.

An unidentified Nebraska farmer was killed Thursday after the tractor he was using to attempt to rescue a stranded motorist was carried away by floodwaters, the Omaha World-Herald reported. The incident occurred at Shell Creek near Columbus in eastern Nebraska.

Ericson Dam in north-central Nebraska is at high risk of failing as the Cedar River continues to rise, according to a report by the National Weather Service.

In Nebraska, a utility company placed sandbags around a threatened nuclear power plant Thursday as the Missouri River continued to rise, the Omaha World-Journal said in a separate report.

Read more: https://weather.com/news/news/2019-03-15-deadly-flooding-midwest-impacts

14 replies, 2414 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to swag (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

1. And it's flooding already in MO (STLMO) on the Meramec River...doesn't look good this year,...

flood-wise.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:48 AM

3. looks like 2019 is going to be the year of the great floods, constant storms with no let up. nt

Reply to this post

Response to yaesu (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:50 AM

5. Yeah, like 1993. I hope not, but I guess it's time for a big one since it's been over 25 years...nt

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #5)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

6. time for the thousand year floods again?

Reply to this post

Response to rurallib (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:59 AM

8. Really, except they are happening every 25 years now! I know of several events that we had...

flooding in parts of STLMO that I wouldn't have expected (and we had to close up the flood gates on our city boundary with the Miss. River)...closing the flood gates doesn't happen very often, but I'd say in the almost 40 years I've been here, perhaps 3-4 times they've been closed (the flood gates), so an event every 10 years now?

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:44 PM

11. Minutes after Missouri River levee breach Gavens Point Dam opens gates to 90,000 cfs.

Oh hell yes. Why not.

SW Iowa travel is not easy today.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 04:30 PM

14. WV had a 1000 year flood in 2016

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

2. & this while tRumps administration is thinking about cutting back on nuke plant inspections. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:49 AM

4. I didn't even KNOW NE had a nuclear power plant

Reply to this post

Response to benld74 (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

7. It had two until a couple of years ago.

Fort Calhoun was shut down in 2016 and is being decommissioned.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 11:59 AM

9. enjoy our new climate, Nebraska

fun times coming for all of us. "high risk" sure, but it's also "historic" so the "winning" continues.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:36 PM

10. A Flood In 2011 Took Out

The OPPD nuclear power plant when sandbags failed to hold out the flood water. That outage was for something like 2 years and was hugely expensive. One would have thought that to be a wakeup call for all nuclear power plants susceptible to flooding and managers would do something to better protect the facility from flooding. This time it is the Cooper plant near Nebraska City that could be flooded but that work apparently didn't happen.

A dam has been breached in north central Nebraska upstream to the Gavins Point damn on the Missouri River. No mention of whether that dam could be threatened. The Ericson dam in this report flows eventually into the Platte River, which is upstream to the Cooper plant so we need to hope that dam holds. Otherwise we could have a real mess. Kansas City needs to keep a watch on this because we are sending them a ton of water.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 01:41 PM

12. This

This is why we need regulations! We need a government that will not allow a Chernobyl or Fukushima-type of nuclear meltdown.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 02:30 PM

13. "placed sandbags around a threatened nuclear power plant"... Sorry but thats hilarious...

My hopes and prayers go to anyone nearby this potential disaster, they really do, I mean it...

But the defense of a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT IS............... SANDBAGS???

Wow, just wow...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread