HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Birch Bayh, former Indian...

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 09:38 AM

Birch Bayh, former Indiana Senator, Title IX author, dies at 91

Source: USA Today

John Tuohy, Maureen Groppe, Shari Rudavsky and Vic Ryckaert, Indianapolis Star Published 9:08 a.m. ET March 14, 2019 | Updated 9:14 a.m. ET March 14, 2019

Birch Bayh, a farm boy from Terre Haute, Indiana, who would ascend to legislative titan during three terms in the United States Senate as the author of two constitutional amendments and a bill that gave women equal opportunity in colleges and universities, died early Thursday morning of pneumonia, according to a statement from the family. He was 91.

Bayh, the father of two-term senator and Indiana governor Evan Bayh, was remembered by his son, colleagues and friends as a relentless champion of civil rights who left his imprint during the 1960s and 1970s on several pieces of landmark legislation.

“He had a natural sympathy for the underdog and the downtrodden. So that’s why he always tried to champion opportunity and decency for people who are born without a lot of either,” Evan Bayh said. “My father was an extrovert who was devoted to his fellow citizens and trying to make their lives better – and he succeeded. And I can’t imagine a better legacy.”

Bayh grew up on a farm in Terre Haute and served four terms in the Indiana House of Representatives beginning in 1954 before successfully running for U.S. Senate in 1962 at age 34.

Read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/14/birch-bayh-death-obituary-indiana-senator-25-amendment-title-ix-bayh-dole-act/3160438002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomwashington-topstories

9 replies, 847 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Birch Bayh, former Indiana Senator, Title IX author, dies at 91 (Original post)
DonViejo Mar 14 OP
Stuart G Mar 14 #1
TexasBushwhacker Mar 14 #2
mobeau69 Mar 14 #3
BumRushDaShow Mar 14 #4
gademocrat7 Mar 14 #5
yellowcanine Mar 14 #6
Bob Loblaw Mar 14 #9
brooklynite Mar 14 #7
hlthe2b Mar 14 #8

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 09:41 AM

1. k and r I like this one paragraph, words by Evan Bayh his son, Thanks for posting this.

“He had a natural sympathy for the underdog and the downtrodden. So that’s why he always tried to champion opportunity and decency for people who are born without a lot of either,” Evan Bayh said. “My father was an extrovert who was devoted to his fellow citizens and trying to make their lives better – and he succeeded. And I can’t imagine a better legacy.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 09:42 AM

2. One of our best n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 09:45 AM

3. Bayh on the Electoral College

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 09:55 AM

4. Wow.

Didn't realize he was still around. A shame IN has gone the way it has.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 10:09 AM

5. Rest In Peace, Senator Bayh.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 10:14 AM

6. Lost his Senate seat to Dan Quayle in 1980 with the help of the Dominionists (Phyllis Schlafly)

Reply to this post

Response to yellowcanine (Reply #6)

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 05:58 PM

9. That one still hurts

He is still the measuring stick by which I judge liberalism.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 10:51 AM

7. Author of the classic campaign message: "I'm Birch Bayh and I am a politician"...

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 14, 2019, 12:01 PM

8. That's a loss...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread