HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Give back to the earth':...

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 03:48 AM

'Give back to the earth': Washington plans to legalize composting of human remains

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Guardian

The legislation, if signed, would see the state become the first in the US to legalize the alternative to cremation and burial

Hallie Golden in Seattle
Tue 12 Mar 2019 01.00 EDT Last modified on Tue 12 Mar 2019 01.09 EDT

When Briar Bates was dying she made a request to her friend, Katrina Morgan: bury me in my garden.

As a 42-year-old artist and landscape designer, Bates had spent years tending to her garden on Vashon Island, Washington, and didnít want to leave it behind when she died, according to Morgan.

Morgan knew it wasnít feasible, because state law requires first designating the property a cemetery. So she contacted Katrina Spade, a local designer and entrepreneur developing a new after-death option: human composting.

Washington State University, which would involve researchers testing the effectiveness of composting on human bodies. She died in 2017, after being diagnosed with metastatic melanoma, a particularly dangerous form of skin cancer.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/11/human-composting-after-death-washington

13 replies, 705 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Give back to the earth': Washington plans to legalize composting of human remains (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 12 OP
snort Mar 12 #1
Charlie G Mar 12 #2
Charlie G Mar 12 #3
Dave Starsky Mar 12 #6
Docreed2003 Mar 12 #4
Javaman Mar 12 #8
Docreed2003 Mar 12 #9
Javaman Mar 12 #11
csziggy Mar 12 #5
Javaman Mar 12 #7
lagomorph777 Mar 12 #10
bluedigger Mar 12 #12
DonViejo Mar 12 #13

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 03:54 AM

1. NIMBY

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 04:54 AM

2. Can a person just get buried with no big deal

in a cardboard box without embalming or tomb or marker. I am 72 years old and sick. When I die I just want them to put me in the ground as cheaply as possible. I am dead, so what good does any of these things we do with dead bodies do me. When my pet dog died I dug a hole and put her in it. I want the same done with me. Put me in the ground and let nature run its course.

Response to Charlie G (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 05:01 AM

3. This is crazy

A typical traditional funeral followed by body burial in a cemetery costs between $7,000 and $10,000. A typical funeral service that results in the body being cremated runs approximately $3000.

Response to Charlie G (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 09:27 AM

6. Like weddings, it's a fucking racket.

At least with weddings, you're around to enjoy them.

A casket alone costs as much as a used car. That's completely absurd.

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 07:26 AM

4. There is a nature preserve near me north of Nashville that is offering basically that

Essentially, they are offering a "natural burial". There are regulations regarding how it's performed, like I think burial must take place within 48hrs or something similar, but the deceased isn't imbalmed and they are buried a couple feet in the ground in a basic wooden box.

The idea of that appeals to me for two reasons: First, it's a much more ecologically sound choice; second, that piece of land happens to be a protected area not for from where I grew up and I spent my teenage years exploring and hiking those hills.

I'll see if I can find the article that was posted here recently which discussed this.

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 09:47 AM

8. There is also a body farm for research in Knoxville. nt

Response to Javaman (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 09:59 AM

9. Yep...

It's like something from a George Romero movie but does amazing research. It's adjacent to the University of Tennessee Medical Center, literally the hospital grounds back up to the mountain where the body farm is located. The nurses parking lot used to be right there next to it.

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #9)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:11 AM

11. if you never have, check out the book by Mary Roach, "stiff" it's about what happens to your body

after you die. She talks about the body farm in there. If I lived in that area of the country, that's where I would donate my body for sure.

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 08:25 AM

5. Look up green burials

They are fairly new but the green burial sites allow simple procedures. Unfortunately - and because the concept is new - they are still expensive.

I wanted to be wrapped in a sheet and left in our woods but I'm afraid law enforcement and the neighbors would object. Now I think I will have the old abandoned well declared a "cemetery" and have my body thrown down it. It needs to be sealed anyway, so why not put it to use?

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 09:46 AM

7. you can always donate your body to science. That's what I'm doing.

if you have a locale medical school nearby, contact them.

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:09 AM

10. That's where I want to go - back to my Mother Earth.

Dispose of my corpse in the most environmentally friendly and cheap way. Anything else is immoral.

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:40 AM

12. I've been involved in a couple cemetery exhumations.

After seeing what happens to burial plots over the decades, from rodents to unscrupulous land developers, I'm firmly in the cremation crowd for eternity.

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:49 AM

13. Locking...

The Forum Hosts agree a feature story about a bill which may, or may not be acted upon regarding composting the human body is not LBN.