HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Lawmakers say they have r...

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 08:04 AM

Lawmakers say they have reached an 'agreement in principle' to avoid government shutdown

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

Key lawmakers announced a tentative deal late Monday that would avert another government shutdown at the end of the week while denying President Trump much of the money he’s sought to build new walls along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The agreement came together during intense hours of closed-door negotiations at the Capitol, as lawmakers resurrected talks that had fallen apart over the weekend in a dispute over new Democratic demands to limit immigrant detention. Democrats ultimately dropped some of those demands, which had come under fire from Republicans, clearing the way for a deal.

Hurdles remained, and Trump’s ultimate backing was in doubt after quick opposition emerged from conservatives. But lawmakers on both sides said they were motivated to find agreement by the looming specter of another government shutdown Friday night, three weeks after the last one ended.

“What brought us back together I thought, tonight, was we didn’t want that to happen,” said Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), the lead Republican in the talks.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/top-lawmakers-meet-to-revive-stalled-border-talks-with-shutdown-days-away/2019/02/11/3cd0fc1a-2dff-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html

4 replies, 330 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lawmakers say they have reached an 'agreement in principle' to avoid government shutdown (Original post)
brooklynite Tuesday OP
Maxheader Tuesday #1
NurseJackie Tuesday #3
muriel_volestrangler Tuesday #2
DonViejo Tuesday #4

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 08:07 AM

1. Thats great!!

Lets hope we didn't "give away the farm" to get there...

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Maxheader (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 08:17 AM

3. I trust our Democratic leaders to do what's right and what's possible... so should you.

Lets hope we didn't "give away the farm" to get there...
Really? I trust our Democratic leaders to do what's right and what's possible... so should you.

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 08:13 AM

2. duplicate thread of

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 08:49 AM

4. Locking...