HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Insects Are Dying En Mass...

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:08 PM

Insects Are Dying En Masse, Risking 'Catastrophic' Collapse Of Earth's Ecosystems

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Huffington Post

There have been warning signs for years about plummeting insect populations worldwide, but the extent of the potentially “catastrophic” crisis had not been well-understood — until now.

The first global scientific review of insect population decline was published this week in the journal Biological Conservation and the findings are “shocking,” its authors said.

More than 40 percent of insect species are dwindling globally and a third of species are endangered, concluded the peer-reviewed study, which analyzed 73 historical reports on insect population declines. . .

Read more: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/insect-population-decline-extinction_us_5c611921e4b0f9e1b17f097d

This is happening faster than any of us could have imagined. GET INVOLVED!

31 replies, 2184 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply Insects Are Dying En Masse, Risking 'Catastrophic' Collapse Of Earth's Ecosystems (Original post)
Faygo Kid Feb 11 OP
Control-Z Feb 11 #1
RAAD2 Feb 11 #30
lindysalsagal Feb 11 #2
Traildogbob Feb 11 #3
certainot Feb 11 #26
eppur_se_muova Feb 11 #4
jalan48 Feb 11 #5
Moostache Feb 11 #13
jalan48 Feb 11 #20
theophilus Feb 11 #6
CrispyQ Feb 11 #8
SammyWinstonJack Feb 11 #9
B Stieg Feb 11 #7
Mountain Mule Feb 11 #14
B Stieg Feb 11 #15
Moostache Feb 11 #10
calimary Feb 11 #12
c-rational Feb 11 #25
Botany Feb 11 #11
Nitram Feb 11 #19
Botany Feb 11 #24
BlancheSplanchnik Feb 11 #28
Botany Feb 11 #29
SunSeeker Feb 11 #16
LiberalArkie Feb 11 #17
BigmanPigman Feb 11 #22
yuiyoshida Feb 11 #18
Alwaysna Feb 11 #21
Farmer-Rick Feb 11 #23
Saviolo Feb 11 #27
Omaha Steve Feb 11 #31

Response to Faygo Kid (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:19 PM

1. This is scary shit.

It makes me screaming angry that republicans are killing us all. Their denial is deadly.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Control-Z (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 05:19 PM

30. It's Not Like We Are Going To Stop Flying Driving And Eating Lots Of Meat

I mean come on.

The PLANET HAS TO GO!

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:21 PM

2. They deserve to reclaim the planet. We've mismanaged it so badly.

Gawd will save us, right?

What God would create such a horrible species as man?

We're clearly an accident, on the same path as the dinosaurs.

Response to lindysalsagal (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:31 PM

3. Bravo!

Spot on. How could such a Great God create and allow one species to destroy everything he created, and do it riding on his, (could not be a woman to be that stupid and egocentric) coat tails, thumping his rule book. We are a cancerous growth, but, good news is trump is releasing the chemotherapy and very soon the radiation to rid this beautiful sphere of its illness. It will thrive when this so called premier species is long gone.

Response to lindysalsagal (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:17 PM

26. it's not human nature - a unified theory of human behavior

the sex on the wrong brain theory suggests we've been selecting for authoritarian brute stupidity since we became civilized and had to delay the age of reproduction. that meant a lot more sexual frustration and large scale long term masturbation with the wrong hand, burning in long lasting wiring that associates impatient satisfaction-demanding reproductive urges with the left/logical/mathematical side of the brain where it creates the need for non-existent finality, certainty, quick easy answers and binary value systems, as well as more, bigger, faster (greed)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:36 PM

4. Dupe in LBN

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:43 PM

5. Can our current economic system deal with this? Can a for profit system work or will it be everyone

for themselves?

Response to jalan48 (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:16 PM

13. Capitalism as currently practiced will not survive.

Society as currently structured - with billionaires hoarding wealth orders of magnitude beyond their importance or contribution to life - will be among the first to go. There is a reason that they are so scared - they KNOW what is coming and the smart ones among them have figured it out - money in a collapsed society is useless and money to buy security in a collapsed society is toilet paper.

Everyone is fucked, but the rage of the planet is going to come down on the "Masters of the Universe" crowd before the last rites are read for society....they will reap the whirlwind indeed. It is inevitable...

Response to Moostache (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:42 PM

20. I agree. There is little to no discussion today as to how resources will be organized to

combat climate change as societies world-wide begin to collapse. It's as if we believe fixing it will be as simple as building a road. My guess is that those who are able will flee to safer more hospitable environments while billions of others will be competing for scarce resources like food and water. Meanwhile we waste time arguing over insignificant bullshit.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

6. Too many people not enough planet.

Either "we" choose to stop babying so much or Nature will choose to wipe out large portions of our "civilization". It is up to us.....for now. At the very least we need to remove the "sapiens" from our name.

Response to theophilus (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:15 PM

8. But...Wyoming!

Seriously. I read that in the editorial pages of my paper some time ago - as long as we have open spaces like Wyoming then over-population is just a bunch of liberal hype.

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:07 PM

9. Whut?

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:47 PM

7. And the birds (who feed on insects)?

They can't be doing well, either.

Response to B Stieg (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:16 PM

14. I've noticed that once common birds are now vanishing from my part of the country

This is merely anecdotal evidence, but it troubles me. For example, my winged friend the nighthawk seems to have permanently gone into hiding here in SW Colorado. Members of the woodpecker clan also seem to be in decline. It's very spooky. Species are going extinct even as we watch.

Response to Mountain Mule (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:18 PM

15. A tree outside my apt was a very popular spot for humming birds...

over the 10 years I've been living here. But for the last two or so, they're a rare sighting.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:11 PM

10. It's game over already...the die is cast and there is no reset button...

If you still think this can be turned around, stop and think for a minute about how many times you have been told or heard in the last 30 year about the need to change X to prevent the worst effects of climate change/global warming.

Now think about how many times you've read something in the last 5 years stating that the original projections were too conservative and did not project accurately the worst cases (for fear of people actually, you know, giving a damn and demanding change)?

The math on this was NEVER in doubt or "unclear"....the wishful thinking - the finding a way to burn fossil fuels AND stop climate change fantasies - was ALWAYS off. The end result? We are well and truly fucked and there is not a damn thing anyone can do to reverse it now short of turning off global power.

I am nearly 50...not quite old enough to be sure I will die before the bottom falls out, but still young enough to know my children are utterly fucked and will see hell on Earth in ways that might make Thunderdome and Mad Max seem quaint. As the population centers of the globe are forced to head inland and away from the coasts around the globe, all hell is going to break loose, everywhere.

Rising sea levels and invasive species and crop failures and wild fluctuating weather (like being -9 one week and 60 the next, just days later; or wild fires that consume towns in minutes; or hurricanes that power up from Cat 2 to Cat 5 in the final day's push to landfall) are only the tip of the iceberg. We are looking at a mass extinction event already underway. The seas are dying. The forests are dying. The swamps and marshes are dying. Everywhere you look outside of the cold neon lights of metroplexes, the world is dying.

If we had stayed the course Carter tried to start in 1977, if we had capped emissions and worked towards a transformative economy for the last 40 years instead of an extractive one based on the principles of the 1880's and beyond industrial revolution, if we had just stopped marketing and started thinking....things MIGHT have turned out differently. As it is, it will not. Humanity is as doomed as every other living thing bigger than a toaster oven (and MOST of the things smaller than that).

Life won't completely end, but civilization will and humanity with it. Maybe in another 500 million years a new alpha species will arise....maybe they will learn of our folly and avoid it completely....maybe. That's pretty much all we are left with though...a future maybe and a certain extinction level crisis being treated like a mistake on a high school exam with a do-over...

Response to Moostache (Reply #10)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:15 PM

12. I wish you weren't right.

But there’s a growing part of me that fears you are.

Response to Moostache (Reply #10)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:13 PM

25. Ditto on calimary's post. I made a point to see coral reefs back in 202 believing they will not

be there in 2050 no matter what course corrections we make. One possibility may be global climate engineering. Regardless we need a worldwide Manhattan project to resolve our energy and climate crisis.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:13 PM

11. Plant Native Plants

Get a read Doug Tallamy's, "Bringing Nature Home.

Response to Botany (Reply #11)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:35 PM

19. I'll second that, Botany. Reading "Bringing Nature Home" had a huge impact on how I think about

what we should be planting. Even birds that live on seeds or nectar rely on insects to feed their young. Without insects, there will be no birds. Without native plants, there are no native insects.

Response to Nitram (Reply #19)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:56 PM

24. Insects are the 1st trophic layer in the ecosystem and when they eat a leaf they are harvesting ....

... solar energy which is then passed on along the food web and helps to support the
ecosystem's dynamics.

I have planted smooth sumac and grey twig dogwood and I have been astounded by
the # of different critters they support. Red milkweed is a good one too.

Love nature kill your burning bush, privet, pear tree, and ground cover.

Doug has a new book too. The living landscape and Attracting Native Pollinators by the
Xerxes Society is good one too.

Response to Botany (Reply #11)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:50 PM

28. I moved back to the city about 8 years ago and have been plantings

Trees and native shrubs and flowers. Especially ones particularly good for wildlife. And no poisons, of course.

Response to BlancheSplanchnik (Reply #28)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 05:14 PM

29. Funny but I am a big user of poisons ... herbicides .... to control non native invasive plants

I wish I did not have to but the problem is so big and we are really fighting to save
our world I can deal with it. Insecticides I try to never use.

If you ever have a question about natives let me know.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:21 PM

16. I am constantly finding dead bees in my back yard.

I don't use pesticides, but I guess everyone else does.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:28 PM

17. I assume that the fleas, ticks and mosquitoes will be the only ones left.

I guess it is as it should be.

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #17)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:45 PM

22. I have mosquito's in my apt NOW

and they are not deterred by cold weather. San Diego is having a colder winter than normal yet these vampires bite me year round now.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:33 PM

18. Ya know? I used to see

fireflies in my back yard...just don't see them any more here.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:44 PM

21. Could it be GMOs crops and pesticides?

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:49 PM

23. Wow, the insect damage that I get on my organic produce continually increases every year.

I find work arounds but I've been farming or gardening for most of my life and the insect problems have only gotten worse. You would think with fewer bugs there would be less damage. As a kid, I never had insect problems and my parents never used insect controls yet we had great vegetables with very little damage. Now a days, I would never plan a garden without having a plan to address the insect populations it will likely attract.

I suspect that the good bugs and nematodes that use to keep the flea and Japanese beetles, stink bugs, moths, aphids and wire worms down to a low roar have been the first casualties. Thank god for chickens.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:30 PM

27. I'm always reminded of this scene from The Newsroom:

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 06:20 PM

31. Locking...duplicate