HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Judiciary chairman critic...

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:18 AM

Judiciary chairman criticizes fellow Democrat for treading in anti-Semitic 'hate'

Source: The Hill

BY BRETT SAMUELS - 02/11/19 11:03 AM EST

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerold Nadler (D-N.Y.) on Monday condemned fellow Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar (Minn.), calling her tweets a day earlier that suggested a pro-Israel lobbying group was buying off lawmakers "deeply disappointing and disturbing."

Nadler, who is Jewish and represents one of the most Jewish Congressional districts in the country, accused Omar of trafficking in "old anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money."

"Her words are deeply hurtful and offensive, particularly as they build on a previous comment she made about Jews 'hypnotizing' the world in support of Israel — another old trope born of hate-filled texts like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion," Nadler said in a statement.

“While of course our nation’s leaders are free to debate the relative influence of a particular organization on our country’s policy-making process, or the factors that make our system of governance imperfect, there is an expectation of leaders — particularly those with a demonstrated commitment to the cause of justice and equality — that they would be extremely careful not to tread into the waters of anti-Semitism or any other form of prejudice or hate," he continued. "Rep. Omar failed that test of leadership with these comments."

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/429401-judiciary-chairman-criticizes-fellow-democrat-for-treading-in-anti-semitic

56 replies, 2240 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 56 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judiciary chairman criticizes fellow Democrat for treading in anti-Semitic 'hate' (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 11 OP
sandensea Feb 11 #1
watoos Feb 11 #2
sandensea Feb 11 #3
leftynyc Feb 11 #5
wellst0nev0ter Feb 11 #13
leftynyc Feb 11 #19
wellst0nev0ter Feb 11 #20
leftynyc Feb 11 #21
wellst0nev0ter Feb 11 #22
leftynyc Feb 11 #24
Power 2 the People Feb 11 #25
saidsimplesimon Feb 11 #52
wellst0nev0ter Feb 11 #55
still_one Feb 11 #33
leftynyc Feb 11 #34
sinkingfeeling Feb 11 #18
getagrip_already Feb 11 #4
tritsofme Feb 11 #6
leftynyc Feb 11 #7
tritsofme Feb 11 #10
leftynyc Feb 11 #11
RelativelyJones Feb 11 #30
lancelyons Feb 11 #31
RVN VET71 Feb 11 #8
George II Feb 11 #12
GeorgeGist Feb 11 #9
George II Feb 11 #14
DallasNE Feb 11 #15
matt819 Feb 11 #16
BeyondGeography Feb 11 #29
watoos Feb 11 #17
madville Feb 11 #23
RelativelyJones Feb 11 #26
lancelyons Feb 11 #27
lancelyons Feb 11 #28
leftynyc Feb 11 #36
lancelyons Feb 11 #42
lancelyons Feb 11 #43
leftynyc Feb 11 #44
lancelyons Feb 11 #45
leftynyc Feb 11 #46
lancelyons Feb 11 #47
leftynyc Feb 11 #49
lancelyons Feb 11 #50
leftynyc Feb 11 #53
lancelyons Feb 11 #54
leftynyc Feb 11 #56
lancelyons Feb 11 #48
OnDoutside Feb 11 #32
old guy Feb 11 #35
leftynyc Feb 11 #37
OnDoutside Feb 11 #39
lancelyons Feb 11 #51
eissa Feb 11 #38
OnDoutside Feb 11 #40
ck4829 Feb 11 #41

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:26 AM

1. She's right. And whether it's pro-Israel, pro-Saudi, or pro-Niue doesn't matter in the least.

The fact is that foreign (and industry) lobbying groups are and have been buying off lawmakers like pigs in a county fair.

That's just a simple fact.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sandensea (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:29 AM

2. I agree,

there is a big difference between backing Israel in general and backing Bibi and his far right people.

Reply to this post

Response to watoos (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:31 AM

3. +1

Love Israel. Detest the far-right genocidacs that have hijacked it.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:42 AM

5. No, she's not

And the implication that people only support Israel because they're being paid to is disgusting. And AIPAC is NOT a foreign lobby group, they're American.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:03 PM

13. AIPAC clearly represents a foreign interest

even if they are registered as a U.S. lobbying group.

You can engage in semantics gymnastics all you want, but it doesn't help to dissemble about what AIPAC's mission really is.

Reply to this post

Response to wellst0nev0ter (Reply #13)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:01 PM

19. There is a HUGE difference

in foreigners giving money to American politicians and Americans giving money to American politicians. That's not semantics, that's the LAW.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #19)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:14 PM

20. So you *are* going to engage in semantics football

It's like you're incapable of arguing in good faith.

Reply to this post

Response to wellst0nev0ter (Reply #20)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:16 PM

21. Hey, if you consider the LAW

as semantics, knock yourself out. One is against the law and the other one isn't. Seems pretty simple.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #21)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:22 PM

22. And nobody was talking about illegal activities

Simple, right? And in good faith.

Reply to this post

Response to wellst0nev0ter (Reply #22)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:36 PM

24. Those calling AIPAC a

foreign lobby group are simply LYING. What's good faith about THAT?

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:41 PM

25. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:46 PM

52. AIPAC has a priority

Israel first, America second? There is no reason that both goals should create conflict. imo, silly me

Reply to this post

Response to saidsimplesimon (Reply #52)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 05:34 PM

55. Actually America and Israel first

Palestinians, dead last.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:17 PM

33. She is questioning the loyalty of Congressional Jews, and some seem to have blinders on to that

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #33)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:22 PM

34. VERY disturbing

that people on the left are ignoring the obvious implication. Is this going to become like Great Britain where I would have no political home?

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:55 PM

18. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

4. Israel is well known to try to interefere in our elections, and regularly conducts espionage against

To the point where close Israeli contacts are enough to cause security clearance problems.

There is nothing anti-Semitic in opposing foreign government interference or attempts to influence.

He sounds wrong on this issue. It's not just the russians that need to be watched.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:42 AM

6. Thank you Rep. Nadler! You speak for me, and many Democrats!

Omar should be condemned in the strongest possible terms. I look forward to a primary challenge.

Reply to this post

Response to tritsofme (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:45 AM

7. Same here

And so many posters here are trying to make it about something its not. HER implication is that politicians only support Israel because they're getting paid for it which is what "It's all about the benjamins" means and everyone with a brain knows it. Now they're just trying to defend her by deflection, just the way degenerate donnie and his crew does.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:54 AM

10. Yes, and it is absolutely disgusting.

The casual dropping, in multiple instances, of classic anti-Semitic tropes and canards is deeply disturbing, those defending it, even more so.

Reply to this post

Response to tritsofme (Reply #10)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:59 AM

11. You've been here almost as long

as I have so this isn't new to you either. If anyone had made a claim like "it's all about the terrorism' or "all about the subjugation of women" in reference to Muslims, this place would have gone up in flames. Only Islam gets a pass.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:04 PM

30. Same here

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:07 PM

31. THAT IS STUPID.

Calling out a Pro Israel group is not anti semitic.

Soon any criticism of Israle will be called anti semitic. THATS SO STUPID.

Anti Semitic is when you insult jewish people.

If I called out the actions of Netanyahu, doesnt mean I am anti semitic.

PLEASE STOP WIHT THE CRAZY.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:47 AM

8. Has she ever uttered, posted, or written anything anti-semitic?

I'm not asking to be snarky. I just haven't seen anything attributed to her that can be considered anti-semitic. Anti-Israel, yes. But anti-semitic? I haven't seen proof . . .not yet, anyway.

And Nadler, whom I otherwise respect and admire, is either speaking of something I haven't seen yet or is way off base accusing her of using "old anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money." Her tweet, "It's all about the Benjamins" was a simple and obvious reference to McCarthy's Party's willingness to trade its political support for donations of money -- and no-one can deny AIPAC's influence on his and Republican as well as Democratic support of Israel. The tweet is intended to remind the objective reader that our politicians are, for the most part, whored out to big money donors in general.

Reply to this post

Response to RVN VET71 (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:00 PM

12. She's only been in the national public eye for about a month.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:53 AM

9. Rubbish.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:06 PM

14. If anyone could recognize anti-Semitism it is Jerrold Nadler.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:19 PM

15. Nadler Uses Too Broad Of A Brush Here

The context of the statement is the corrosive affect money has on our politics and it is fair to point this out. The test is would he say the same thing if she had called out the NRA for giving large sums to lawmakers. I don't think so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:24 PM

16. What an idiot

Jewish politicians have a hard time separating Jewishness from Israel. I'm about ten years younger than Nadler, and I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood and went to Hebrew school (both not far from Nadler's). It was simply a given that Jewish = Israel and vice versa. When the various Jewish organizations knocked on our door to solicit donations, my parents gave money (not a lot - I think my father's salary at the time was around a whopping $10,000) and happily put the "I gave to the (fill in the blank)" sticker on the door. We celebrated Israel's National Day. That's just the way it was.

I suspect many Jews my age have left the fold - I left many, many years ago and count on my religious sibling to remind me of the holidays and to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat - though I'm sure many have stayed, and I'm doubly sure than any Jewish politician must - repeat, must - adhere to the equations noted above in their interactions with the Jewish community.

So, I understand where Nadler and other Jewish congresspeople are coming from, even the ones not from New York.

The "What an Idiot" in the title applies to the fact that they and Omar (and Ellison) are in the same party. It's not as if they will never meet or that they will never serve on the same committee. It is highly likely that their votes will overlap more than they will differ. It's not as if Omar, Ellison, and the other handful or non-Jewish and non-Christian members of Congress are from vastly different educational or social backgrounds. They are all well educated, professionals, and all were freely and fairly elected to Congress.

What I'm saying is, skip the public attacks. Talk to each other. I'm not suggesting a kumbaya moment, just talk and listen. It's not as if the Muslims and Buddhists and Hindus in the Democratic party are going to somehow stage a coup or form an anti-Jewish or anti-Christian coalition or caucus. Sure, they'll find that they disagree, but it may just stop the ad hominem attacks.

Yes, Nadler is a long-term politician and powerful in his own right as a result. Again, I'm not suggesting that all Democrats should or are going to agree on everything, but differences such as those highlighted by Nadler's comments, are perfect wedge opportunities for Republicans and, dare I say it, Russians. Someone - Pelosi? - needs to step in and sort this out before it gets out of hand.

Reply to this post

Response to matt819 (Reply #16)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:56 PM

29. Agreed on the public arm-twisting

It’s an obvious political loser.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:32 PM

17. Israel's far right interests,

aren't always the best interests of the United States. Does my saying that make me anti- Semitic?

Bibi has aligned himself with the radicals in Saudi Arabia, Trump has aligned himself with the radicals in Saudi Arabia. The interests of Saudi Arabia are not always the best interests of the United States.

Trump is beholding to Saudi Arabia and he formulates our foreign policy in their best interests.

Not everyone in Israel wanted Trump to withdraw the U.S. from the nuclear peace deal, only the radical right wing of Israel wanted the U.S. to withdraw. Only the far right wing of Iran wanted the U.S. to withdraw from the Iran peace plan. Trump listened to Bibi and SA when he withdrew us from the peace plan which was a big mistake.

We better be careful. John Bolton is in a position of power, he and Bibi want us to invade Iran. I'm thinking that's not in the best interests of the U.S.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:36 PM

23. Quite the public smackdown

It looks like the old guard is already tiring of the Freshmen antics.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:52 PM

26. Thanks Rep. Nadler. Call out these anti-Semitic tropes wherever they come from.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:53 PM

27. Leave it to DEMS to undermine their own good fortune. Unbelievable.

This is why the GOP says the DEMS will find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

This is crazy.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:55 PM

28. Calling out a pro israel group is NOT anti semitic. That is crazy.

Now if you want to say anything bad about israel its anti semitic.

This is NUTS.

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #28)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:26 PM

36. Implying that people support Israsel

because they're being PAID to do it (which is EXACTLY what "it's all about the benjamins implies) is most certainly anti-semitic. I wouldn't presume to tell an African American what they should find bigoted and I expect the same courtesy from anyone who thinks they know what's anti-semitic but aren't Jewish.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #36)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:54 PM

42. thats BULL CRAP. You can call out a lobbying group for paying off congress and its not anti semitic

I bet you think anybody saying anything bad about Israel is Anti Semtic.

the definition of antisemitism is

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is hostility to, prejudice, or discrimination against Jews.

calling out a Pro Israel American lobbying group is not hostility or descrimination against Jews.

STOP PLEASE.

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #42)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:56 PM

43. The Israel Leader Benjamin Nentayahu is TERRIBLE... He has very bad ideas.

Does this mean I am anti semitic? NO

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #42)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:06 PM

44. Bet all you want

But I've posted DOZENS OF TIMES that I loathe bibi and the religious freaks in Israel. Implying Jews doing something as a result of getting paid is disgusting and I'm glad Speaker Pelosi sees that better than so many right here. The people in power see it for what it is and for that I'm grateful.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #44)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:33 PM

45. She did not say Jews doing something as a result of getting paid. She said congress was doing thing

She did not say Jews doing something as a result of getting paid. She implied congress was doing things as a result of getting paid by AIPAC who lobbies for pro Israel policy.

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee is a lobbying group that advocates pro-Israel policies to the Congress and Executive Branch of the United States. The current President of AIPAC is Lillian Pinkus

If we NAACP was called out for lobbying and paying congressman, that would not be racism.

if that was the case, you could NEVER call out anything the NAACP did or it would be racist.

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #45)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 03:44 PM

46. She's wrong about that also

AIPAC isn't even in the top 50 of organizations giving money to congress. She's just trashing them because they're pro-Israel. If you don't see where accusing Jews of being money grubbing is a problem, I really don't know what to tell you.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #46)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:25 PM

47. BS its a lobbying firm and they spend alot to lobby the US Congress.

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #47)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:30 PM

49. 3.7 million is PEANUTS

compared to other lobbyists. You really need to study this issue more if you think AIPAC is a big problem. Start with the NRA.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #49)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:35 PM

50. You seem to be defending AIPIC quite well.

All of these firms spending large chunks of money on congress is something DEMS do not like or agree with. what gives with your defense?

Since I am calling out AIPIC am I exhibiting antisemitism?

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #50)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:50 PM

53. No, you're not an anti semite

(I don't think, certainly not for disliking AIPAC but I have zero idea what's in your heart). Money in politics is a decades long problem. I don't like one of the very few that support Israel getting all the heat, that's all.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #53)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 05:05 PM

54. That is my point. Im not sure from Omar's tweets that somebody can say they are anti semitic.

All she did was slam the AIPCI and lobbying and money that corrupts congress.. We have all agreed that big money lobbying happens and should stop.

Reply to this post

Response to lancelyons (Reply #54)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 07:29 PM

56. You can't understand

It's a bit like the n word. Big difference when it comes from whites. I'll try and come up with a better comparison but that one isn't bad.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #46)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:26 PM

48. I dont see it and you are connecting DOTS that I dont believe she said.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:11 PM

32. It's so unusual to see so many Democrats rushing to the defence of

the Republican House minority leader. It reminds me of the many times McCarthy rushed to Obama's defence....oh, wait a minute....

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #32)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:25 PM

35. Glad someone else noticed that.

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #32)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:27 PM

37. How about supporting OUR leadership

https://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-pelosi-top-democrats-condemn-anti-semitic-comments-from-rep-ilhan-omar/

You seem to think it's only those on the right that are pissed about that tweet.

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #37)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:40 PM

39. Where did I say that ?

Reply to this post

Response to leftynyc (Reply #37)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:37 PM

51. Leftynyc is definitely defending AIPIC alot here.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:31 PM

38. If she's going to paint herself as the anti-Israel Muslim politician

she's going to have a short career.

Reply to this post

Response to eissa (Reply #38)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:43 PM

40. The bigger issue is her frequently retweeting Glenn Greenwald tweets.

He's no friend of the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Response to eissa (Reply #38)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 02:46 PM

41. Now on the other hand, if she made up conspiracy theories about George Soros...

She could probably be elected Senator and the Republicans would cheer her on.

Weird how that works.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread