HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Abuse of Faith. 20 years,...

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 02:51 AM

Abuse of Faith. 20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist refor

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Houston Chronicle

In the decade since Vasquez's appeal for help, more than 250 people who worked or volunteered in Southern Baptist churches have been charged with sex crimes, an investigation by the Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News reveals.

It's not just a recent problem: In all, since 1998, roughly 380 Southern Baptist church leaders and volunteers have faced allegations of sexual misconduct, the newspapers found. That includes those who were convicted, credibly accused and successfully sued, and those who confessed or resigned. More of them worked in Texas than in any other state.

They left behind more than 700 victims, many of them shunned by their churches, left to themselves to rebuild their lives. Some were urged to forgive their abusers or to get abortions.

About 220 offenders have been convicted or took plea deals, and dozens of cases are pending. They were pastors. Ministers. Youth pastors. Sunday school teachers. Deacons. Church volunteers.

Read more: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Southern-Baptist-sexual-abuse-spreads-as-leaders-13588038.php?fbclid=IwAR2Luei8aBLIRiv-YwI3vzCL6yWKumagWQ2YudpYQbR743Yy-Ooowlkfcbo

20 replies, 1656 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Abuse of Faith. 20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist refor (Original post)
pnwmom Sunday OP
StarryNite Sunday #1
keithbvadu2 Sunday #2
3Hotdogs Sunday #8
bobbieinok Sunday #3
meadowlander Sunday #4
trusty elf Sunday #5
SWBTATTReg Sunday #17
Submariner Sunday #6
atreides1 Sunday #19
allgood33 Sunday #7
DirtEdonE Sunday #9
paleotn Sunday #10
efhmc Sunday #11
packman Sunday #12
dalton99a Sunday #13
efhmc Sunday #14
dalton99a Sunday #15
efhmc Sunday #16
kimbutgar Sunday #18
DonViejo Sunday #20

Response to pnwmom (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 02:58 AM

1. Sickening.

How many more victims are still out there?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 03:23 AM

2. "...or to get abortions" - Funny how that works, eh?

"...or to get abortions"
- Funny how that works, eh?

The entire article is well worth reading. Eye opening.

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 08:24 AM

8. Abortion is not good for you and me. Not so much for church leaders.

I refer to the recent news about Pope Francis and abuse of R.C. nuns. Some were taken for abortions.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 03:24 AM

3. Thanks for excepting this very important investigative report!

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 03:39 AM

4. I couldn't be more shocked if I found out one of the Duggars was a child molester.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 05:13 AM

5. "It's a perfect profession for a con artist...

because all he has to do is talk a good talk and convince people that he's been called by God, and bingo, he gets to be a Southern Baptist minister."

That there are still people who haven't figured this out amazes me.

Response to trusty elf (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 11:49 AM

17. Absolutely! I hear of people like this time and time again over the years. Disgusting ...

And they are the ones who fling their accusations and point their finger at others without evidence and scream their ridiculous claims and false conclusions, while attempting to make their claims sound 'godly' that that it was 'god' that told them so, etc.

History is full of such people who, in using their gift of voice and charm, perform their scam(s) on people all while claiming it was for god's benefit (and thus theirs too by extension). It all sounds so legitimate and legal-like too, and they point to passages in the bible that seem to confirm their conclusions (IMO, lots of passages in the bible can be interpreted in a thousand ways).

Lots of people have gone down due to transgressions in the past, and more too, in the future. Jim and Tammy Bakker of the PTL club, Jimmy Swaggart, Kent Hovind, Robert Tilton, Billy James Hargis, Peter Popoff, George Alan Rekers (another Southern Baptist preacher), and so forth. From what I recall, these same people claim that god has a special place for those that intentionally misled others away from their faith...aren't these people doing this now (I'm being rhetorical here, no response or answer expected here).

Don't the congregations vest these people? Or are they charmed out of their wits by the snake tongue utterings of these preachers?

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 05:44 AM

6. Parents of raped children should be allowed to shoot

the rapist priest or minister dead without prosecution. Since the rape enabling clergy leaders wont fix the problem, the aggrieved parents should be given a lot latitude to exact a painful revenge.

If I was a juror the parent of the raped child would be set free. These fucked up Jesus freaks need to be six feet under, not standing on the alter with their disgusting hands down the pants of little boys and girls.

Response to Submariner (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 12:25 PM

19. I would agree

But how many parents ignored what their children tried to tell them? How many parents told little Johnny or Suzy that they were lying about what Pastor Smith was doing to them, because mom and dad refused to believe that such a "god fearing" man would do such a thing?

Those parents that denied it, looked the other way, or even punished their children for making the claims, in my view they should be shot as well! Not killed, just in the knee caps and elbows...

But that's just my opinion!!!

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 05:55 AM

7. One of the most segregated congregations in the world.

You just never know...

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 09:02 AM

9. I'll take my chances with the sinners

(And we're all sinners obviously.)

I mean I'll take my chances with the sinners who don't try to preach some holier than thou BS at me while they're sinning just like everyone else.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 09:31 AM

10. Thanks for sharing this...

It's funny how their leadership falls back on the "we're just a collection of autonomous state organizations and local congregations and can't mandate anything" dodge when it comes to abuse. Yet, when they dragged the church to the political, psycho right back in the 80's, they had plenty of control of local congregations and state conventions. Many churches ended their affiliation with what's for all practical purposes a political organization masquerading as a church. Wake Forest, Furman, Belmont and other baptist colleges and universities gave the SBC the middle finger in recent years, refusing to become indoctrination centers in the Liberty model.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 AM

11. When you push a philosophy that degrades and demeans women this is to be expected. BTW

Same reply I wrote about nuns being sexually abused.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:38 AM

12. I remember a HUGE sign at a well-travelled intersection

back in 2016 - "SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCH SUPPORTS TRUMP". Now I know why, it's as morally corrupt as he is.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:45 AM

13. An outstanding series.

Response to dalton99a (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 11:13 AM

14. Is there a link to this chart?

I tried goggling but can't find. Thanks.

Response to efhmc (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 11:19 AM

15. It is in the article

Response to dalton99a (Reply #15)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 11:36 AM

16. Thank you. I didn't go far enough into the article. I get so disgusted reading these things,

that it is hard for me to do. I have never understood how anyone can be a part of a church that treats women as less than men. But I plan to share this with others. Thanks again.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 12:17 PM

18. My mother hated church because her Grandmothers boyfriend was a minister who tried to molest

Her and this was in the 1930s. She sent my sister and I to catholic school but never made us go to church or be involved. She told me when I was in college about bring molestered and how she hated religious people.

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 12:41 PM

20. Locking...

The consensus of Forum Hosts agrees this is analysis and opinion in a sad feature expose' being reported in this first part of a three-part story. Please post this in the General Discussions Forum and/or the Editorials and Other Articles Forum