HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Virginia Gov. Ralph North...

Fri Feb 8, 2019, 04:59 PM

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam Plans To Survive By Changing His Agenda To Focus On Race

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: BuzzFeed

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, still facing calls to resign as governor a week after the revelation that his page in a medical school yearbook features a racist photograph, is now tightly focused on coming up with plans to survive.

His office has begun to explore how it might recalibrate Northamís legislative agenda to focus closely on race and equity, sources close to the governor tell BuzzFeed News. The move would mark a brazen attempt to hang onto his office by shifting the conversation away from Northamís admission of having once worn blackface and his denials that he is featured in the racist yearbook photo, either as the person in blackface or the person in a Klan outfit. Northamís policy team is looking at crafting a set of proposals based on the premise that the governorís mistakes have rendered him keenly aware of inequity and the lack of justice faced by black Virginians 400 years after the first African people arrived in the Commonwealth, at Point Comfort, in 1619.

The centerpiece proposal is not complete in its scope or in terms of what it will seek to accomplish. But there are many possibilities being considered for a broad platform: increasing resources for affordable housing; setting new, more equitable standards in small business procurement; implementing programs that expand economic opportunity for entrepreneurs; pumping money into public services like education and transportation.

ďNow that he knows better he is going to do better,Ē a Northam adviser said.

Read more: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/virginia-gov-ralph-northam-survival-plan

6 replies, 887 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam Plans To Survive By Changing His Agenda To Focus On Race (Original post)
brooklynite Feb 8 OP
TheCowsCameHome Feb 8 #1
msongs Feb 8 #2
shanny Feb 8 #3
lanlady Feb 9 #5
Trenzalore Feb 9 #4
DonViejo Feb 9 #6

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2019, 05:05 PM

1. Who ever would have thought this might be the best possible ending?

That is a total mess down there.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 8, 2019, 05:22 PM

2. nice analysis piece nt

Fri Feb 8, 2019, 06:46 PM

3. I think that is his only possible option for survival:

MAKE IT UP TO US. I am not speaking about myself in terms of race, so my comment may be out of bounds. But it does seem to me that a person can atone for stupid bigoted insensitivity (as opposed to criminal activity), not by apologizing (big whoop) but by working to make a difference.

Response to shanny (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 9, 2019, 08:23 AM

5. I agree, shanny

It's the smartest thing for him to do under the circumstances and possibly the only way to salvage the situation in our state. That, and working hard to elect more young people (who don't have all this racist garbage in their pasts) to state office! We do NOT want the bonkers VA GOP, the party of Corey Stewart and George "Macaca" Allen, to be in charge again.

If Northram is smart, he'll use this terrible moment in his career to promote the transformation of Virginia from a place with a racist, Confederate past to a state that welcomes people of all races and backgrounds. I don't believe for a moment that the dumb-ass thing he did when he was a young man defines who he is today.

Sat Feb 9, 2019, 01:20 AM

4. I think with Fairfax facing rape Allegations and the Attorney General admitting to blackface

He has room he wouldn't have if that were not the case.

At this point we need to ask ourselves if turning a state over to republicans is the best option over something someone did 30 years ago. Cold hard political reality.

Sat Feb 9, 2019, 10:10 AM

6. Locking...

The consensus of Forum Hosts agrees this is opinion and analysis about what may/may not be down the road for the Governor