HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Saudi woman detained in B...

Mon Jan 7, 2019, 08:29 AM

Saudi woman detained in Bangkok airport not facing immediate deportation, meets U.N. officials

Source: Washington Post

HONG KONG — A young Saudi woman detained in a Thailand airport after fleeing her family in fear for her life will not be forcibly deported, Thailand immigration authorities said, citing concerns for her safety.

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun, 18, was on holiday with her family in Kuwait when she fled to Bangkok, hoping to make it onward to Australia to seek asylum. Thai authorities have detained her at an airport hotel in Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport and had initially planned to send her back to Kuwait on a flight departing at 11:15 a.m. local time.

Alqunun, however, barricaded herself in her room and demanded to meet with the United Nations’ refu­gee agency, missing the flight.

Surachate Hakparn, head of Thailand’s immigration bureau, said Monday afternoon that Thailand will not send her back immediately and will coordinate with the U.N. refugee agency.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/saudi-woman-seeking-asylum-barricades-herself-in-thailand-airport-hotel-room-demands-refugee-protections/2019/01/07/114ce658-122f-11e9-a896-f104373c7ffd_story.html

2 replies, 669 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Saudi woman detained in Bangkok airport not facing immediate deportation, meets U.N. officials (Original post)
brooklynite Jan 7 OP
uppityperson Jan 7 #1
uppityperson Jan 7 #2

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2019, 10:21 AM

1. UNHCR has met with her, she has her passport back. Great news, great use of twitter

Hey I'm Rahaf. My father just arrived as I heard witch worried and scared me a lot and I want to go to another country that I seek asylum in
But at least I feel save now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back🙏🏻❤️

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread