HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » White House scrambles to ...

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:44 AM

White House scrambles to deal with shutdown's consequences

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

Food stamps for 38 million low-income Americans would face severe reductions and more than $140 billion in tax refunds are at risk of being frozen or delayed if the government shutdown stretches into February, widespread disruptions that threaten to hurt the economy.

The Trump administration, which had not anticipated a long-term shutdown, recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact, several senior administration officials said. The officials said they were focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.

Thousands of federal programs are affected by the shutdown, but few intersect with the public as much as the tax system and the Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the current version of food stamps.

The partial shutdown has cut off new funding to the Treasury Department and the USDA, leaving them largely unstaffed and crippling both departments’ ability to fulfill core functions.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/millions-face-delayed-tax-refunds-cuts-to-food-stamps-as-white-house-scrambles-to-deal-with-shutdown%E2%80%99s-consequences/ar-BBROykA?srcref=rss

Given that the Trump administration is prepared to hold out for months until Democrats give him his all, you would think that the Trump administration would be more prepared. Is it incompetence or are they purposely trying to make things as bad as possible in an effort to improve their leverage? I bet watching Fox and Friends all day has Trump thinking that he is winning so much that he can start adding additional demands.

38 replies, 2300 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House scrambles to deal with shutdown's consequences (Original post)
TomCADem Jan 5 OP
Pachamama Jan 5 #1
FredsterKathy Jan 5 #30
elleng Jan 5 #2
sprinkleeninow Jan 5 #4
elleng Jan 5 #5
Bilegurken Jan 5 #22
sprinkleeninow Jan 5 #3
dalton99a Jan 5 #6
RockRaven Jan 5 #7
Grasswire2 Jan 5 #8
littlemissmartypants Jan 5 #12
Eyeball_Kid Jan 5 #28
GusBob Jan 5 #26
Auggie Jan 5 #27
underpants Jan 5 #29
SergeStorms Jan 5 #9
Lock him up. Jan 5 #14
SergeStorms Jan 5 #15
Lock him up. Jan 5 #16
heliarc Jan 5 #24
paleotn Jan 5 #36
SunSeeker Jan 5 #10
truthisfreedom Jan 5 #11
akraven Jan 5 #13
Wrz Jan 5 #17
BumRushDaShow Jan 5 #20
Achilleaze Jan 5 #18
Solly Mack Jan 5 #19
beachbum bob Jan 5 #21
JustABozoOnThisBus Jan 5 #23
underpants Jan 5 #31
Sherman A1 Jan 5 #25
Sunlei Jan 5 #32
Major Nikon Jan 5 #33
paleotn Jan 5 #35
paleotn Jan 5 #34
MissMillie Jan 5 #37
DonViejo Jan 5 #38

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:47 AM

1. Expect soon to see a "Trumpville" being set up near the White House....

The consequences of this Trump Shutdown are just beginning....

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Pachamama (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 09:07 AM

30. Ransom is what it is...

When terrorists or other criminal sorts demand payment of some sort in exchange for whatever it is that they are holding from someone, that is called ransom or extortion. It is time that the Dems start screaming that Trump is a terrorist of the highest order for what he is doing with the shutdown. Demanding $5 million+ which is only the beginning of his demand is worthy of criminal charges, which is highly unlikely.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:50 AM

2. trump said he was prepared to hold out;

the 'administration,' such as it is, is in no way prepared, had no idea he would suggest holding out for months.

25th AMENDMENT time!

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:54 AM

4. It's SOMETHING time already!

Response to sprinkleeninow (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:57 AM

5. Yes. Tell the 'cabinet,'

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Response to elleng (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 06:12 AM

22. Cabinet is full of

obsequious bootlickers who worship him and fawn over him with North Korean, "dear leader" praise. I also don't think most of his cabinet has the authority to do this, since most of them are 'acting'

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 01:52 AM

3. "...determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene." 🤔

That's rich! 😂

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 02:05 AM

6. Impeach the Motherfucker.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 02:25 AM

7. Everyone read that goddamned 2nd paragraph again. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

In just about every meaning of the phrase. They literally are unaware of what they are doing. They do not know or understand what happens when they push that button or pull this lever.

The GOP Senate is complicit in this abomination.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 02:37 AM

8. this was the intention all along

I'm getting a little fatigued writing this over and over here and there. Time to understand that this is not due to Trump incompetency or irrationality. This has been the plan from the getgo: Shutter government, break down the structures of the administration, replace competent career appointees with stooges and "acting" and incompetent people or empty out the agencies and leave them vacant. Ruin the economy with tariffs and taxes, cut the safety nets and pensions, furlough massive numbers of government employees. See a pattern? He's not on our side. Neither is McConnell. They are working for someone and something else other than the welfare of the citizenry and the protections of the Constitution.

Response to Grasswire2 (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 03:43 AM

12. I have to say I agree with you and add this from a post I made earlier...

He's a sociopath. It's way beyond petulant.
The more harm and chaos they create, the happier they are. It's the sociopath creed. To love is to hurt, causing harm equals happiness. I keep telling folks this fact but people just keep getting amazed at his bad behavior. It is their modus operandi. It takes a truly twisted mind to be able to wrap your head around the thought processes that exist in such an aberrant universe, but that's the long and short of it. The sociopath lives to do harm. The gaul comes from their belief that they exist above the law and outside of consequences. The more chaos they create, the better and that's just them being their form of normal. It's twisted and sickening. There are no limits to the lengths they will go to, to create their form of happiness, which is pain and chaos. I can't repeat this enough

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=11415987

Response to littlemissmartypants (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 08:50 AM

28. Em... You're... em... Correct.

Sociopaths have no reason to make decisions based upon a common good. The part in the Preamble about promoting the welfare of the nation doesn't exist for sociopaths. Trumpy maintains the center stage if he creates one crisis after another. So as we hurtle toward systemic disaster, Trumpy is eating bacon and boasting to his "friends." He's truly nuts. But that's not all. He's purposefully destructive while he's the most powerful person in the nation. He has the power to destroy. He will. And he is in his wheelhouse. Right now.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 07:57 AM

26. I hear you

I’ve seen you post this before. It’s true

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 08:45 AM

27. Just what Putin wants too -- chaos among liberal western democracies

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 09:02 AM

29. Who would want and clearly made efforts to disrupt the system?

We both know.

I'm with you Grasswire2 on reposting about core elements of this. I believe your macro assessment of the governance/functionality aspect is correct. I don't think they thought this out. That has a lot to do with the quantity and quality of the staffing around him as well as his overbearing asshole style of flippant decisions.

From a political side I have posted the following several times with varying levels of reposnse.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211627197
The bottom line politically is that they think - no wall in this fight right now means no re-election.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 03:07 AM

9. It's going to start hurting his "base".

When it starts hurting the people who worship him they will, after a while, start to sour on their cult leader. When that happens Trump is finished. I imagine there are many who are on food stamps. You know, the Trump supporters whose jobs were "stolen by those illegal Mexicans," and are waiting for all of those corporations to return from India, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam etc. that Trump said would be running back to the U.S. because of his "stable genius" economic policies. And you know the Trumptards are itching to get their tax returns back so they can buy more semi-automatic assault rifles before Nancy Pelosi comes to their houses and confiscates them. Then there's all of the 2019 Trump merchandise (made in China) on sale now, and they have to stock up on those things to wear to the countless Trump rallies! A proper cult member wouldn't be caught dead in 2018 MAGAwear.

Trump serves 35% of Americans, and the other 65% can go to hell as far as he's concerned. If his stubbornness and ego start turning away some of his cult members he's royally fucked. So is the Republican party (you could argue that they already are). That this never occurred to the orange anal fissure before he so gleefully shut down the government, is a testament to his complete lack of understanding about anything regarding the government, and how it works. Once again, Trump's ego and false bravado is making him look like a complete moron, except to those who've pledged their undying fealty to one of the most ignorant men on the planet. As long as it's "pissing those libruls off" they're completely on board with the orange idiot's thoughtless undertakings.

Stupid is as stupid does, and there's some stupefying stupidity coming from the Oval Office.

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 04:01 AM

14. He'll say it's the Democrats' fault and they will believe him.

Because that's what Fox and Friend$ will repeat.

Response to Lock him up. (Reply #14)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 04:15 AM

15. You're probably correct.

As long as FOX, the big GOP propaganda Wurlitzer, is in business these people will never know what's really going on in this country and around the world.

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #15)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 04:45 AM

16. But these people are a minority.

And they're not growing in numbers.

Response to Lock him up. (Reply #16)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 07:17 AM

24. Unfortunately...

While they might not be growing in numbers... they are by far the most heavily armed.

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:25 AM

36. Good. Squeeeeeze them.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 03:12 AM

10. Fucking idiots. They didn't know the consequences. Nor care.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 03:27 AM

11. Ignoramus.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 04:01 AM

13. 25 45 nt

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 04:55 AM

17. I wonder if EBT cards will still work

I am a SNAP recipient but because I shop very frugally I always have funds leftover at the end of each month that rolls over and it's accumulated to the point where I have enough for 2-3 months of groceries even without subsequent deposits due to the shutdown. I suppose as long as EBT cards will still work. I don't know how the point-of-sale systems in supermarkets work as to how they draw funds from SNAP accounts.

Response to Wrz (Reply #17)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 05:45 AM

20. I expect the cards will continue to work

with the assumption that nothing "technical" involving glitches or failures of the computer systems, don't happen, as getting that fixed might involve a longer delay than normal. There are usually protocols and contingencies for stores to carry out to handle that. I recall being in a supermarket during an EBT outage and the cashiers had signs up at the registers alerting to it. Per this (at least when that article was written during the 2013 shutdown), Xerox was the vendor maintaining the system (under government contract) and they continued to operate. That article also gives an idea of some of the issues that might occur should there be a system outage during a shutdown, where even with a manual protocol, federal staff who could verify to stores what the recipients balances are, might not be available due to the furloughs.

However the bigger issue might be that once funds run out, the deposits into accounts might cease.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 05:24 AM

18. republicans are toxic for America

republicans are toxic for America

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 05:45 AM

19. They don't care who gets harmed. They don't care if people die.

They simply do not care.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 06:09 AM

21. the largest percentage of SNAP program reciepients are trump supporters in the South

I guess they will be loving the delays.

Karma is a bitch

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 07:11 AM

23. Bannon and Miller are loving this

The more misery they can cause, the happier they are.

Susan Sarandon is preparing for the revolution.

Response to JustABozoOnThisBus (Reply #23)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 09:10 AM

31. I was thinking about Bannon just yesterday

We haven't heard much about him still advising Trump but this fits perfectly into his chaotic nihilistic view of creating change through disruption.

As I've posted elsewhere, even in the thread, someone is advising Trump that no wall means no re-election whichnis one part practical assessment and one part stinks of Bannon pushing Trump into a situation that literally tears down the system from the top. That's got Bannon written all over it.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211627197

The reason he crossed my mind is that the family plans today may include an antique/rare bookstore that Bannon once got confronted at and the person in his face was asked to leave the store.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 07:51 AM

25. This will naturally be very bad for those in need of the benefits

It will also have an impact on grocery stores and such places as Walmart who count on those sales. I suspect that a few of them will be contacting the folks in DC to push for a remedy for their benefit.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 09:16 AM

32. Congress will pass a bill to keep food stamps in February. Pres travel should be shutdown.

shutdown Presidents travel and any services he gets in the white house. let him pay out of his own pocket for meals and wash his own clothes.

Response to Sunlei (Reply #32)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:05 AM

33. May not be an option soon anyway

DOT is affected by the shutdown and I'm pretty sure the FAA still falls under DOT. Just wait until the blue flu hits the air traffic control system. Nobody, including Trump is going to be going anywhere.

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #33)

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:23 AM

35. And the pressure continues to build.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:22 AM

34. Shitler is really of no consequence anymore...

Senate Rethugs are. With every passing hour the pressure builds forcing them to govern or, for many of them, run the distinct risk of losing their positions in 2020. The Senate map for the next cycle is brutal for the Rethugs. Cory Gardner knows this too well, as do others. If we can damn near beat Cruz in TX, Gardner, Collins and a whole host of others are dead Senators walking.

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:26 AM

37. "incompetence or purposely trying to make things as bad as possible"

Ummmmm……

YES

Sat Jan 5, 2019, 10:30 AM

38. Locking...

The consensus of Forum Hosts feel this is opinion and analysis in a feature story about the impact if the government remains shut down