HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Barcelona On Alert After ...

Mon Dec 24, 2018, 03:12 PM

Barcelona On Alert After US Warns Of Possible Christmas Attack

Source: AFP

By Daniel Bosque, 1 hr. ago. Barcelona was on alert on Monday after the US State Department warned of the risk of a terrorist attack in Spain's second-largest city during the Christmas holidays.

Several police vehicles were parked on both ends of Barcelona's central Las Ramblas boulevard, which was targeted last year by a deadly van attack claimed by Islamic State militants. Some 30 police officers patrolled the boulevard, which is popular with locals and tourists, as well as a Christmas market in the nearby Plaza Cataluna, the city's main square.

"Exercise heightened caution around areas of vehicle movement, including buses, in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona during Christmas and New Year's," the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs said in a tweet on Sunday. "Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public areas." "We take seriously all threats, all of them are investigated," he said, without giving further details.

Top-selling Spanish newspaper El Pais, citing anonymous police sources, said authorities were looking for a Moroccan man with a licence to drive buses. Catalan daily El Periodico said Catalan regional police had circulated an internal note that the man, who was born in Casablanca, could try to drive a bus or other large vehicle into crowds in Barcelona. -MORE...

Read more: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/barcelona-on-alert-after-us-warns-of-possible-christmas-attack/ar-BBRoutO?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

7 replies, 1191 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Barcelona On Alert After US Warns Of Possible Christmas Attack (Original post)
appalachiablue Dec 24 OP
at140 Dec 24 #1
appalachiablue Dec 24 #2
a la izquierda Dec 25 #6
Liberty Belle Dec 24 #3
Adsos Letter Dec 24 #4
a la izquierda Dec 25 #5
at140 Dec 25 #7

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2018, 03:23 PM

1. Must visit Temple of Gaudi in Barcelona..

During last terror attack in Barcelona, my daughter was staying in a B&B only a few blocks from the attack. Me and my wife were nervous wrecks. She was travelling with a group of her friends who had all just graduated from law school.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to at140 (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2018, 03:36 PM

2. How awful I'd be a wreck too. Dangerous times these days.

Reply to this post

Response to at140 (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 25, 2018, 08:37 AM

6. My mom is like that with me when I go to London.

No idea why London, considering most of my work is in Mexico. But whenever I'm in London, she wants me to check in daily.
I'm 41. But I kind of love it.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2018, 03:37 PM

3. Stay safe, Barcelonans.

My husband and I are going there next spring -- it seems no place is safe anymore from the dark stain of terror.

Peace on earth is gone across most of the world, alas.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberty Belle (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 24, 2018, 08:29 PM

4. You're going to love it.

We were there in October. There is a real security forces presence around, but the city is beautiful, and the people we met were wonderful.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2018, 08:36 AM

5. It's amazing.

Be sure to pack an extra stomach . You'll need it. Everything I ate was a wonderful experience for the tastebuds.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2018, 11:32 AM

7. Think of it, most terrorist actions are based on religion!

Religion should bring peace, not killing others.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread