HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Fears of metal-tainted me...

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:49 PM

Fears of metal-tainted meat prompt recall of 28,000 pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage nationwide

Source: W Post

By Alex Horton

More than 28,000 pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage has been recalled over metal tainting fears in meat distributed to 21 states, the company said Tuesday, in a move to protect consumers from products that pose the greatest health risk under the Agriculture Department’s recall regulations.

Five consumer complaints of metal-infused sausage led the agency’s food safety office to trigger the alert, the USDA said, after the sausage left a Tennessee-based facility and was distributed across the country. No health impacts have been reported as of Tuesday, the agency said.

CTI Foods, the product distributor, began the recall of Jimmy Dean ready-to-eat sausage links made from turkey and pork. The company did not return a request for comment.

The USDA assigned the recall a Class I, the most serious classification spectrum. Products recalled under that designation are health hazards that pose a “reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2018/12/11/fears-metal-tainted-meat-prompt-recall-pounds-jimmy-dean-sausage-nationwide/?utm_term=.d7458d10359f

9 replies, 1035 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fears of metal-tainted meat prompt recall of 28,000 pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage nationwide (Original post)
Omaha Steve Dec 11 OP
sakabatou Dec 11 #1
ginnyinWI Dec 11 #2
Saviolo Dec 11 #3
C Moon Dec 11 #4
GulfCoast66 Dec 11 #5
pansypoo53219 Dec 11 #6
keithbvadu2 Dec 11 #7
a la izquierda Dec 12 #8
KY_EnviroGuy Dec 12 #9

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 06:05 PM

1. And yet I keep seeing Jimmy Dean commercials on Youtube

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 06:15 PM

2. So glad I'm a vegetarian.

Every time these beef/pork/chicken recalls come up.

Bad enough we have to worry about the lettuce.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 06:25 PM

3. One of the biggest pitfalls of centralized food production.

So long as most of our food comes to us from relatively few companies with large, centralized production facilities, this is a problem that will occur again and again. If there is contamination at a centralized facility, it can affect far more people than if we get our food from smaller, local producers. Instead of a bunch of giant corporate farms shipping their lettuce to a centralized processing facility, then shipping it back out tainted, you could be getting lettuce from smaller producers, and then an e-coli breakout in Iowa won't affect lettuce in Tennessee.

Very few corporations own most of the companies that provide food to many people:

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 06:30 PM

4. Jimmy Dean Headbanger Sausages

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:08 PM

5. I buy my sausage from a local butcher. A little more expensive

But high quality.

If I don’t make it myself. The meat grinder attachment on a kitchen aid makes it a 20 minute chore and the result is the best sausage you will ever eat.

Reply to this post

Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:33 PM

6. yes. all local butcher meat or sausage. or local small brand. USINGER sausage baby!

best part of living in krautland WI.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 11:26 PM

7. Jimmy Dean - Steel Men

&list=PLDC1D4ACB73BC084F

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2018, 07:54 AM

8. If this guy ever went back to eating Jimmy Dean, he's going to be kinda pissed.

Warning: language is probably not safe for work

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2018, 10:29 AM

9. I'm shocked that tRump's USDA didn't say....

"We've determined that Jimmy Dean Sausage now qualifies as an FDA-approved iron supplement for your diet" and,

"we highly recommend this product because of the many jobs it supports".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread