HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnel...

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:20 PM

MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell: 'Donald Trump Will Be, Must Be Impeached'

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: HUFF POST

12/08/2018 04:17 am ET
“Michael Cohen is facing substantial prison time for those same crimes. And Donald Trump is facing, what?”

MSNBC anchor Lawrence O’Donnell said Friday that President Donald Trump “will be, must be impeached because of the crimes prosecutors say he committed” in the case of his former personal attorney, Michael Cohen.

“The Last Word” host noted that “nothing in the Constitution” says a president cannot be indicted, charged with a crime or put on trial.

“And so the only conceivable reason why Donald Trump has not been indicted as a co-conspirator in the Cohen case is that he won the presidential election, that he conspired with Michael Cohen to illegally affect,” he explained.

“Will Donald Trump be the only president in history accused by federal prosecutors of committing federal crimes who does not then face impeachment for those crimes?” he added. .............................

Read more: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawrence-odonnell-donald-trump-impeached_us_5c0b74fee4b0ab8cf693807a

I think we need to wait until Mueller has finished his final report.

20 replies, 2046 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell: 'Donald Trump Will Be, Must Be Impeached' (Original post)
riversedge Dec 2018 OP
Rorey Dec 2018 #1
onetexan Dec 2018 #7
lark Dec 2018 #2
Me. Dec 2018 #6
Jedi Guy Dec 2018 #11
Ccarmona Dec 2018 #14
Me. Dec 2018 #17
Pluvious Dec 2018 #3
elmac Dec 2018 #15
Ford_Prefect Dec 2018 #4
dalton99a Dec 2018 #5
Wellstone ruled Dec 2018 #8
bullimiami Dec 2018 #9
hot2na Dec 2018 #10
KPN Dec 2018 #12
SCVDem Dec 2018 #13
Augiedog Dec 2018 #16
SansACause Dec 2018 #18
WA-03 Democrat Dec 2018 #19
Omaha Steve Dec 2018 #20

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:25 PM

1. While I agree that *we* need to wait for the final report

I'm fine with people like Lawrence O'Donnell saying things like this. It's a push back against the likes of Hannity and Individual 1.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Rorey (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:45 PM

7. agree, let O'donnell drum up the frenzy while we, and the new Congress, patiently wait for Mueller

to complete his report. Let the facts speak for themselves. Then they can hawl this criminal, and his enablers, out and ring them out to dry.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:27 PM

2. I think you are both right.

Lawrence is correct that drumpf must face consequences for breaking the law and to your point, we need to wait until all the information is out. So far we've had legal allegations that he committed campaign finance violations, felonies. But there's also redacted information about other criminal actions and allusions to other illegal activity involving Russia. Let's see what else Mueller has then file impeachment on all the applicable charges, including campaign financing felonies, and I'd bet there's a raft full of them.

Response to lark (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:36 PM

6. Right

Let's not jump the gun until we have all the ammo. We want to keep the House and retake the Senate so we need to be on firm ground.

Response to Me. (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:26 PM

11. Unless we have 67 seats in the Senate, it ain't happening.

The only way Trump will be impeached is if he becomes so toxic to the GOP that they throw him under the bus in an attempt to save themselves. Given that they've continued to support him despite how toxic he is, I don't think it's likely they'll turn on him. Some of the GOP Senators may cross the line, but I have a hard time believing enough of them will do so to hit the magic number.

If Mueller presents absolutely damning evidence against Trump, I can see the GOP turning on him to avoid being dragged down with him. If there's any wiggle room, they'll save him from impeachment. Hopefully this happens prior to the 2020 election, so the Democratic nominee is facing either a tarnished Pence (or a new Republican nominee) or a terminally damaged Trump. In either scenario, I think a Democratic President will take office in January 2021.

Response to Jedi Guy (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:42 PM

14. That's the Danger of Impeachment

If Individual-1 is acquitted by the Senate, him and his cult will be emboldened to the point of lawlessness. It would be much to the detriment of the Country’s majority.

Response to Jedi Guy (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 03:18 PM

17. They Will Also Turn If...

his approval falls through the floor or the economy turns south. The damning evidece will either be waiting or in the works/investigation.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:31 PM

3. I remember Whitewater

GOPers did already set the bar for impeachment,
for what it takes to be necessary to initiate it.

We should follow established conventions.

Response to Pluvious (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:48 PM

15. they set the bar for denying supreme court justices

yet that bar was ignored. We need a strong party that will stick together, no matter what. I don't think we are quite there yet.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:35 PM

4. It occurs to me that Mueller has considered this and arranged his cases accordingly.

He is nothing if not strategic in his thinking. I believe that the progression of trials and conviction will lead to the conclusion that Trump is a criminal who cannot continue as president. A convicted Felon cannot hold the post.

If a felony he's convicted of reveals that he indeed holds office due to that criminal activity then the legal conclusion must be ipso facto, he is not legally the president.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:36 PM

5. Kick

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:50 PM

8. O'Donnell is using his

bully pulpit knowing Trump will not touch him. Remember,Trump tried to Sue O'Donnell and lost his ass. Again,O'Donnell is held in high regards by Senate Staffers and he is working the Refs so to speak.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 01:51 PM

9. There is already enough evidence

to impeach and indict
and then
convict and jail him.
and it is just the tip
of the tip
of the tip
of his mountain of crimes.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:19 PM

10. Wait and then pounce.

Let the evidence that keeps coming out perhaps the Mueller report first. The only way to get the stupid republicans to do what is right is to make 2020 about impeachment. They will come aboard when it finally hits them that this will hurt them electorally.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:31 PM

12. O'Donnell's right about this. At some point, Trump must be impeached -- otherwise our system

of government has no credibility. If you think populism is out of control in this country already, just wait. That's the down side. On the upside, we are extremely close public opinion-wise to impeachment being a "no lose" situation for the Democratic Party. Didn't I see a poll last week that put those in favor of impeachment at like 46 or 48 percent? With or without the Mueller report, (that is, if it somehow gets buried within DOJ) we need to impeach for the good of the Party and the nation.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 02:36 PM

13. Lawrence is doing what we demanded

from the media!
Now some of us are waffling?
What the hell do you want? A media quiet and complicit or an excellent experienced journalist with eperience in politics calling strikes.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 03:10 PM

16. Run the impeachment...let the senate fail to convict shortly before the 2020 elections...watch the

Senate become a democratic strong hold for the next 20 years.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 03:35 PM

18. The Republicans have the Senate.

So what's the point?

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 03:36 PM

19. Sing it loud and proud!

Stand up for justice. We cannot look away and must deal with the issue head on. A rUSSRia mob asset is President. He committed crimes to get elected and continues committing crimes. The rule law demands it. There is no other remedy. I support due process but let’s start the process.

Sat Dec 8, 2018, 03:38 PM

20. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

The opinion of a TV talking head is not important news of national interest.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.