HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » General McChrystal Told P...

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 12:37 PM

General McChrystal Told Pompeo To 'Muddle Along' In Afghanistan, Leaked Audio Reveals

Source: Task and Purpose

By PAUL SZOLDRA on December 6, 2018

Stanley McChrystal, the former commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, recently told Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that he did not know what to do in Afghanistan but offered his “best suggestion” was for a small number of troops to remain and “muddle along” in the country, the retired four-star Army general told a small group last month during his book tour.

Although McChrystal, 64, mostly kept to a prepared presentation analyzing different military leaders through history during an hour-long talk in New York City on Nov. 26, he offered the surprisingly candid admission in response to an audience member’s question on the path forward in Afghanistan, according to an audio recording of McChrystal’s talk obtained by Task & Purpose.

“I met with Secretary Pompeo this morning and he asked me the same question, and I said, ‘I don’t know.’ I wish I did. If I had a clever answer… if we pull out and people like al Qaeda go back, it’s unacceptable for any political administration in the U.S. It would just be disastrous, and it would be a pain for us,” McChrystal said of a potential drawdown for the war in Afghanistan, now in its 17th year.

“If we put more troops in there and we fight forever, that’s not a good outcome either. I’m not sure what [is] the right answer. My best suggestion is to keep a limited number of forces there and just kind of muddle along and see what we can do,” he said.

Read more: https://taskandpurpose.com/mcchrystal-afghanistan-muddle-pompeo/

15 replies, 1478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply General McChrystal Told Pompeo To 'Muddle Along' In Afghanistan, Leaked Audio Reveals (Original post)
DonViejo Thursday OP
3Hotdogs Thursday #1
lildDemz Thursday #3
roscoeroscoe Thursday #2
SpankMe Thursday #4
matt819 Thursday #7
JonLP24 Thursday #12
matt819 Thursday #14
JonLP24 Thursday #15
not fooled Thursday #13
JonLP24 Thursday #11
keithbvadu2 Thursday #5
beachbum bob Thursday #6
The_jackalope Thursday #8
SKKY Thursday #9
JonLP24 Thursday #10

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 12:55 PM

1. His answer was based on the best politics? FUCK THAT !

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 3Hotdogs (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:11 PM

3. Political?

His job is military--politics is the job of Congress. A military solution has been obviously absent.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:01 PM

2. There you go

Good luck and thanks for your service, Soldier!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:17 PM

4. McChrystal is essentially correct

There are no good answers for the US in Afghanistan. We stay, and guys die for nothing. We leave, and terrorists move back in bigger and badder than ever. We go all-in and force regime change, we don't know what we're going to get and we create a refugee crisis.

Muddling along for now seems to be the least inflammatory option.

Before we go slamming McChrystal we need to have an obviously better solution in mind.

Reply to this post

Response to SpankMe (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:51 PM

7. We fucked this up in 1990 -

And I'm talking about you, George HW Bush.

We waged the war with the Russians via the Mujahideen, and the Russians left, in part becuase their country fell apart, but also because we did a good enough job in supporting the Afghan rebels.

So far, so good.

But we lost the peace. We just walked away with no support, and washed out hands of the entire situation. Plus, we abdicated those responsibilities we claimed we would accept (thought some 30 years later I can't recall the details and I;m too lazy to look into it). In any case, the results of that failure became obvious on 9/11/01. So, there we were, back in Afghanistan. The rest, as they say, is history.

So, McChrystal may be right about muddling along. But Americans are being killed for good reason. So, my suggestion. Pull all American and coalition troops out. Close military bases and remove or destroy all military equipment. And then aggressively pursue multilateral diplomatic efforts to help fix what we have managed to destroy over the past 40 years.

Reply to this post

Response to matt819 (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:43 PM

12. The US should not have backed the Mujahideen

Nor should they have backed Saudi Arabia who.also backed the mujahideen.

Afghanistan has been in a civil war since the 70s.

The use wanted to use Afghanistan as a "bear trap" for the Soviet Union like Vietnam was for US.

Reply to this post

Response to JonLP24 (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 03:08 PM

14. Maybe

But this was when the Cold War was in full swing. The Russians invaded Afghanistan in 1979, and the US saw this as a threat to Pakistan, and so the decision was, in the context of the time, clear. Stop the Soviets. Of course, that set the US and Russia on a collision course at the crossroads of Empire, the latest players in The Great Game. Of course, the British learned that the hard way a century earlier. No one is going to vanquish the Afghans, and, for the most part, the Afghans can't agree on anything themselves. It's a shame, really, because Kabul, from what I understand, wasn't a half bad place to live in the mid-20th century. Nevertheless, there we were, for better or worse.

And, no, we will never learn. In fact, we're at war of one sort or another, usually under the banner of the war on terrorism in more places now than we have been in previous decades. There are active duty US military personnel in 150 countries, and bases in 80 of those countries.

But I digress.

My recommendation. Leave Afghanistan. And then set a 10-15 year plan to pull out of just about every other country in which US troops are engaged in military operations. Whether it's the war on terror or the war on drugs, our track record is appalling, and the American lives lost are in vain.

Reply to this post

Response to matt819 (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 03:23 PM

15. I'm just saying our Alliance with Saudi Arabia caused a lot of damage

Russia is more fierce than the Soviet Union nowadaways they have an asset in the White House most likely.

The British should have never backed the Saudis in order to breakup the Ottoman Empire who tried fighting these terrorists a long time ago.

Reply to this post

Response to matt819 (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:51 PM

13. This is

the only possible solution.

Too bad the GOPeePee and others in thrall to the MICC (Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex) will never get on board. raygun made sure of that by establishing defense contracting in every congressional district.

Reply to this post

Response to SpankMe (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:40 PM

11. We already had the regime change there

And the Taliban is still there. If Al Qaeda moves in it is just same shit different name.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:33 PM

5. It's good to have a plan.

It's good to have a plan.

(sarcasm thingie goes here)

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 01:35 PM

6. So how is this any different?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:26 PM

8. There has never been a good answer for invading armies in Afghanistan.

It's known as "the graveyard of empires" for a reason.

Afghanistan has been invaded but never conquered by (inter alia) Alexander the Great, the Mongols, the British, the Soviets, and since 2001 the United States. Not a bad record for a little country with lots of nothing.

Rudyard Kipling knew whereof he spoke:

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:32 PM

9. He will get eviscerated for this...

...but he's right.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:38 PM

10. The Taliban is already there

It is like we have different names for wahhabis.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread