HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Smoke a Joint, Save the S...

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:06 AM

Smoke a Joint, Save the Subway?

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

As the list of states that have legalized marijuana continues to grow, New York could have a new reason to embrace cannabis: It could help save the subway.

Some state and city leaders have started to discuss the idea of making recreational marijuana legal and using the revenue to pay for badly-needed and expensive subway upgrades. The proposal could face improved odds in Albany now that Democrats have taken full control of the State Legislature for the first time in a decade.

“The biggest issue we hear about as elected officials is the state of the subway system,” Corey Johnson, the City Council speaker, said in an interview. “To be able to tie these things together is something that could be highly impactful and potentially transformative.”

The idea is still very much theoretical, but it has some prominent supporters and is being considered by a high-profile panel tasked with coming up with ways to pay for a subway overhaul. Any push to legalize marijuana in New York would have to be approved by state lawmakers and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/nyregion/marijuana-legalized-nyc-subway.html

19 replies, 1957 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:15 AM

1. A new idea? Never seen this before,,A new way to improve the NY Subway System...

Smoke a Joint....? When you think you have seen every idea imaginable, then, there is a new one....My hat is off to whoever came up with this one....for whatever reason........

Also...and just as important..A very quick committee meeting was held about a minute ago, and you win....
.........."A New One Award" ...................................for coming up with a new one.. On November 27 this committee held its first meeting ever....and appointed Stuart G committee chairman and investigator on "new ones" and he is now able to give out awards to qualified individuals...Yes, it does sound ridiculous, but then during this era of "total ridiculous"...we need every chance to smile and laugh that we can get......

DFW won the first award ever given for coming up with a new word..."Seenager." and posting that word in the lounge on November 27. .......Now of course you think I made this up..well that is ok..whatever makes you smile... .............but here is a link to see the very first award given..

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1018&pid=1150745

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:16 AM

2. I don't drink, but....

I'd drink to this idea.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:19 AM

3. And FOX still repeating the same old lies: gateway drug, addicting, ruining lives.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:23 AM

4. Just came off the #6

and I LOVE this idea. Need to make this happen.

Response to leftynyc (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:37 AM

6. I love this idea too! Why the hell NOT?

Response to leftynyc (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:38 AM

8. What is ....the #6? can I ask? I don't mean to be disrespectful. I would like to know.

Thank You for any response ...

Response to Stuart G (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:43 AM

9. Our subway lines

are either numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) or letters (A,C,D,E,F,G,L,M,N,Z) - I think that's all of them but may be wrong. The #6 is the local Lexington Avenue line.

P.S. also the train that was "kidnapped" in the movie The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3

Response to leftynyc (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:51 AM

10. Thank You for your reply..I haven't been to NYC in 30 years..I recall the "local Lexington liine."

but, ... I don't recall the numbers of the lines.

And I recall riding the trains. I really like "trains" and am a train buff. Also, I saw, "Taking of Pelham 1,2,3," when it came out..and enjoyed it.

Response to Stuart G (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 08:20 AM

12. They didn't always have numbers

Used to be referred to as the BMT and IRT or Lexington Ave line and 7th Avenue line but that changed. Still the very best way to get around the city, especially this time of year when the streets are so crowded with tourists and shoppers.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:36 AM

5. Give people something to vote for

Washington legalized Cannabis in 2012 and by golly not only are we still here but the state made 319 million dollars last year.

I'm not going to really make any predictions about how much money you folks will be making but "a lot" seems to describe the sum.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:37 AM

7. perfect! New Amsterdam!

This would be great revenue and tourist dollars; as well as a convenient location for the patients in need of medical marijuana.
You cannot beat this city concerning ease of transportation, and to be able to upgrade the main commuter arteries would be a win-win all around.
Hope this idea flourishes.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:52 AM

11. We've been saying this for years

How nice for these right wingers to finally evolve a bit

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 08:38 AM

13. Do tokers in Buffalo care about a subway system? What's in it for them?

The revenues should go toward better snowplows!

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 08:44 AM

14. Wisconsin has the Richard I. Bong bridge, but they just finished improvements.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 09:31 AM

15. We have something like that here in Marble Falls: I smoke a joint and I eat at Subways.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 09:40 AM

16. If I had a dollar for every idea that pot taxes could fund...

Here's another one: Reparations to pot smokers for a century of persecution, funded by alcohol, tobacco, and Big Pharma.

Response to bluedigger (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 09:56 AM

18. Oh, and here's another idea:

How about a lottery and the money will go to education!

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 09:46 AM

17. Great freaking idea, good job NY!!

I love it when people come up with synergistic ideas which benefit many people. Win for the state law enforcement, far less jail and cop resources needed to prosecute smokers, win - more younger people (especially minorities) stay out of jail, win - cops not seen as negatively, win - more people stay employed and employable increasing tax revenues and decreasing cost of social help, win - very needed upgrade for subway. I think this would be roughly equal in impact to CO closing jails and giving their citizens rebates on taxes due to the greatly lowered cost of law enforcement.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 10:58 AM

19. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

Analysis

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.