HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Spielberg, 25 Years After...

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 02:39 AM

Spielberg, 25 Years After 'Schindler's List,' Warns Against Collective Hate

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: NBC News

By Alexa Keyes, 9 hrs. ago.

In the wake of the mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue in October, acclaimed Hollywood director Steven Spielberg believes now, more than ever, is when people must confront the alarming rise in hateful ideologies.

Spielberg's Academy Award-winning film about the Holocaust, "Schindler's List," is returning to select theaters this week in honor of its 25th anniversary. It's a story that still resonates today, he said in an interview with "NBC Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt airing Wednesday. "I think there is more at stake today than even back then," Spielberg said, referring to when the film was released.

"When collective hate organizes and gets industrialized, then genocide follows," said Spielberg. "We have to take it more seriously today than I think we have had to take it in a generation," he said during a time of heightened identity politics and the massacre of 11 people at the Tree of Life synagogue in which the suspected shooter left a trail of anti-Semitic posts online.

"Schindler's List," released in 1993, tells the true story of Oskar Schindler, a German businessman whose efforts to employ Jews during the Holocaust saved 1,200 people. -MORE with VIDEO Interview...

Read more: http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/spielberg-25-years-after-schindlers-list-warns-against-collective-hate/ar-BBQxZzt?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*WATCH VIDEO of Interview In Link, Highly Recommend, A+.

The movie earned Spielberg his first Academy Award and unexpected commercial success, even though his previous films "Jaws," "ET" and "Jurassic Park" were highly popular and successful. "Schindler's List" also received 12 Academy Award nominations, and won 7 including best picture and best director. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schindler%27s_List

"I couldn't imagine based on the story that we told that an audience would tolerate just the amount of violence, human against human. Or inhuman against human," Spielberg, 71, said. "No one thought the film was going to make any money."

Liam Niesson as Oskar Schindler; Oskar Schindler, German businessman (1908-1974)

6 replies, 764 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Spielberg, 25 Years After 'Schindler's List,' Warns Against Collective Hate (Original post)
appalachiablue Thursday OP
grantcart Thursday #1
milestogo Thursday #2
FakeNoose Thursday #4
milestogo Thursday #5
Scurrilous Thursday #3
Omaha Steve Thursday #6

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 03:32 AM

1. K and R

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 03:48 AM

2. A great film, if you can get people to watch it.

Response to milestogo (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 10:00 AM

4. I have watched it at least 5 or 6 times

... and I've read Kennealley's book on which the movie is based. I have to say that I loved Liam Neeson's portrayal of Schindler, and I felt he was robbed of the Oscar for Best Actor. Ben Kingsley and Ralph Feinnes were also awesome.

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 10:58 AM

5. Neeson was awesome.

The only way to look at something so awful is to focus on something good happening in the midst of it. But even with that, some people can't watch. Its just too dark.

I used it in a class when I was teaching a college course about 20 years ago (my edited 2 hr version). I was really shocked to find out that a couple of college age students in the class had no idea what the holocaust was or of the brutality of WWII. I'm sure that is still true today.

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 07:03 AM

3. K&R

Thu Dec 6, 2018, 11:19 AM

6. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

Not important news of national interest.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.