HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » California Democrats read...

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:12 AM

California Democrats ready new assault on Donald Trump

Source: Politico

Legislature aims to rebuff the White House on immigration, health care, the environment and even the president’s tax returns.

By JEREMY B. WHITE 12/05/2018 05:09 AM EST

Triumphant California Democrats returned to the state capitol in Sacramento this week with a mandate and a mission: defying President Donald Trump, whose enduring toxicity in the state helped power historic gains in the legislature and Congress.

Two years into a presidency whose policies are anathema to California’s dominant party, Democrats are picking up where they left off: challenging the Trump administration in policy and in rhetoric as they seek to make America’s most populous state apart a counterexample to the dysfunction in DC.

“Trump has poured more gasoline on the fire,” Assemblyman Rob Bonta said at a press conference denouncing a Trump administration move targeting immigrants. “This is wrong. It is fueled by racism,” and it constitutes “an attack on California’s health and well-being.”

Newly introduced bills seek to rebuff the Trump administration on immigration and the environment while again working to pry loose his tax returns. Ambitious healthcare proposals seem guaranteed to energize state’s liberal base, offering Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom an early opportunity to advance his oft-stated goal of making the state a shining alternative to Trumpism.

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/05/california-democrats-trump-1044648

2 replies, 1118 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply California Democrats ready new assault on Donald Trump (Original post)
DonViejo Wednesday OP
ROB-ROX Wednesday #1
BigmanPigman Wednesday #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 02:14 PM

1. I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT

I voted for Gavin and have voted democratic for over 48 years. I hope we increase wages, work benefits, health insurance, etc. I know the "R" will not have a word with anything proposed because they have become a silenced minority. If the benefits of a democratic government progress we will be a shining example to the other states of what good things can happen........HOPEFULLY??

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 03:54 PM

2. If we can't get this accomplished with the big blue wins

from the midterms, we never will.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread