HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Mark Penn, a former advis...

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:35 AM

Mark Penn, a former adviser to the Clintons, believes Hillary Clinton will make another run for pres

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Hill

Mark Penn, a former adviser to the Clintons, believes Hillary Clinton will make another run for president in 2020.

Penn, a frequent contributor to The Hill, co-wrote a Sunday op-ed for The Wall Street Journal with Andrew Stein, a former Democratic Manhattan borough president and president of the New York City Council.

“True to her name, Mrs. Clinton will fight this out until the last dog dies,” the pair wrote. “She won’t let a little thing like two stunning defeats stand in the way of her claim to the White House.”

They said Clinton will not allow her “humiliating loss” to President Trump during the 2016 presidential election end her political career.

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/416164-ex-clinton-aide-hillary-will-run-again-in-2020

25 replies, 1822 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mark Penn, a former adviser to the Clintons, believes Hillary Clinton will make another run for pres (Original post)
Julian Englis Nov 2018 OP
pnwmom Nov 2018 #1
Julian Englis Nov 2018 #4
pnwmom Nov 2018 #5
MBS Nov 2018 #20
Initech Nov 2018 #2
Midnight Writer Nov 2018 #6
Midnight Writer Nov 2018 #3
dalton99a Nov 2018 #7
pnwmom Nov 2018 #8
pnwmom Nov 2018 #9
Thekaspervote Nov 2018 #10
TDale313 Nov 2018 #13
karynnj Nov 2018 #21
JI7 Nov 2018 #11
TDale313 Nov 2018 #12
pnwmom Nov 2018 #14
Adenoid_Hynkel Nov 2018 #18
srobertss Nov 2018 #15
Raine Nov 2018 #16
Adenoid_Hynkel Nov 2018 #17
joshcryer Nov 2018 #19
HopeAgain Nov 2018 #22
Bengus81 Nov 2018 #23
still_one Nov 2018 #24
Omaha Steve Nov 2018 #25

Response to Julian Englis (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:47 AM

1. He's a FORMER adviser, and there's ZERO reason to believe him.

He's a Trump guy now. I bet Trump wants Penn to drum up excitement about Hillary running.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/31/mark-penn-clinton-strategist-mueller-investigation-donald-trump-219622

WHY MARK PENN IS SOUNDING TRUMPY

Penn has now become a regular face on Fox News — CNN and MSNBC won’t book him — and a contributor to The Hill’s right-leaning editorial pages. There, he has repeatedly bashed the Mueller investigation as a “partisan, open-ended inquisition that, by its precedent, is a threat to all those who ever want to participate in a national campaign or an administration again” — followed up by more TV hits on Fox.

And despite the photos that decorate his office walls, he has willingly torched the Clintons, saying the Justice Department “broke their own rules” by ending an investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, and noting that “Clinton Foundation operatives” urged the FBI to investigate Trump.

Penn makes no distinction between Trump’s frequent fulminations against the Mueller investigation — which has raised questions about whether the president is obstructing justice — and the Clintons’ handling of the Starr probe. “The Clintons didn’t put their emotions on Twitter, but trust me, they had them, and they weren’t particularly different from Trump’s,” he says.

The article below was published ONE WEEK AGO.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/clinton-adviser-mark-penn-loves-trump.html

Why Old Clinton Sleazeball Mark Penn Loves Trump

Penn, the former adviser to President Clinton and campaign manager for Hillary Clinton in 2008, has very few philosophical reasons to admire Trump. Penn has spent his career urging Democrats to endorse the socially liberal, pro-free trade, pro-immigration, fiscally conservative policy mix favored by upscale, college-educated elites. Trump’s political brand is the precise opposite. But Penn has careerist and personal reasons, having been denied a similar appointment with Clinton after his disastrous 2008 performance. What’s more, Penn is also overtly unethical, and this seems to have overridden any ideological qualms he may be harboring. In Trump he recognizes a kindred soul, or lack of soul, and has churned out a series of relentless propaganda on his behalf.

Penn’s latest paean to the greatness of Trump offers a disturbing window into the vacuous mind of one of the worst people to work in Democratic politics in the last generation. (The only political advisers worse than Penn are Penn’s former partners, Dick Morris and Doug Schoen.) Penn’s thesis is that, despite the predicted wave election he faces Tuesday, Trump has brilliantly outmaneuvered all his enemies. “His political survival after two years in office,” gushes Penn, “is a modern-day miracle.”

SNIP

Whether Penn is trying to get himself a job in the Trump administration or merely to curry favor with clients who have business with Trump, is not clear. Either way, the changes Trump has wrought on American politics have favored a certain kind of amoral hack. Mark Penn has never been more at home.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pnwmom (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:52 AM

4. Thanks for posting this n/t

Response to Julian Englis (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:54 AM

5. You're welcome. Mark Penn has this in common with Trump: he's a sleezeball and only cares

about himself.

Response to pnwmom (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 08:21 AM

20. Both articles are spot on.

Thanks.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:48 AM

2. And guarantee another 4 years of Trump? Fuck that shit!

They destroyed her once, they'll destroy her again. Another Hillary campaign would guarantee another 4 years of this madness. No. We *NEED* somebody new.

Response to Initech (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:54 AM

6. Another Hillary campaign would fall like a tree in a forest. It wouldn't pass the primaries.

I love Hillary, but I am afraid the right wing smear campaign against her and her family have worked. Even liberal Democrats I talk to are convinced she is crooked, but they can never point out specifics. That, folks, is why they call it a "smear" campaign.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:48 AM

3. Mark Penn is the guy FoxNews calls when they want an opinion from somebody with a D after their name

They bill him as "a Democrat Party strategist and Clinton pollster" Mark Penn. Then he regurgitates the usual right wing talking points.

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 02:58 AM

7. Exactly.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:23 AM

8. The co-author, Andrew Stein, is ALSO a Trump guy. This is a Trump scheme of some sort.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/09/trump-endorsed-by-democrat-money-launderer-andrew-stein.html

Trump Endorsed by Populist Democrat, Money Launderer Andrew Stein

In a Wall Street Journal op-ed today, Stein explains that while he is a lifelong Democrat, “I believe my party has become the party of the elites and moneyed class and has deserted its historic mission as the party of the working class and disadvantaged.” Therefore, he argues, “I believe Donald Trump will make a great president and I ask my fellow Democrats to vote for him.”

SNIP

Possibly relevant to Stein’s endorsement of Trump’s tax and regulatory policies, but unmentioned in the op-ed, is Stein’s own conviction for tax evasion as part of a money-laundering scheme.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:32 AM

9. This is about a previous piece written by Mark Penn and Andrew Stein. These men are NOT our allies.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2017/07/mark-penn-and-andrew-stein-slam-transgender-rights-in-asinine-new-york-times-op-ed.html

On Thursday, failed campaign strategist Mark Penn and money-laundering Trump supporter Andrew Stein declared in a New York Times op-ed that the Democratic Party must “move to the center and reject the siren calls of the left.” Penn and Stein’s ornery manifesto urges Democrats to imprison more opioid addicts, champion “tough anti-crime measures,” end sanctuary cities, and crack down on undocumented immigrants. The whole op-ed is really just an endorsement of centrist white nationalism filled with catastrophically asinine proposals that, if adopted, would enrage most Democratic voters. (Why, after all, should the diverse and progressive Democratic base cater to the prejudices of white ethno-nationalists who are already fleeing the party?) Yet the silliest line in the whole affair involves not race but gender: Penn and Stein exhort Democrats to abandon “transgender bathroom issues” for their own good.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:35 AM

10. Hillary wants only what's best for the country, she knows she wouldn't win and won't go there

Yes, she was quoted saying she would like to be President. Showing her honest feelings isn’t the same as launching another campaign. She was also quoted as saying that America is not ready for a female president, unfortunately!! Nuf said

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:53 AM

13. Hope and think you're right.

She can do far more for her legacy by not doing it.

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 08:32 AM

21. Add that the response was to the direct question of would she like to be president after she said

Saying she was not interested in a run.

In all honesty, almost everyone who seriously ran would admit that, of course, they would like to be president. For the party's nominee, they spent at least a year, probably more, thinking of themselves as president. For most, this included serious thought on what they could do for the US and the world.

If by magic, she ( or Kerry or Biden, for instance) could become president, of course they would accept it and would be 100s of times better than Trump. Deciding to make the sacrifices they, their family, and their close allies would have to make AND making the calculation they could win the nomination and the Presidency is a very different question.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:35 AM

11. is Mark Penn the new Dick Morris ?

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 03:51 AM

12. Seriously, no.

This is literally the last thing we need. FWIW, don’t really want Biden or Sanders, either. They all have every right to try, of course, but I think we need fresh blood. It would be really bad for the party and country and likely end with the same result in the general to refight the last primary.

Response to TDale313 (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 04:23 AM

14. The men who wrote this piece are both Trumpers now. They're his mouthpiece. n/t

Response to pnwmom (Reply #14)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 04:57 AM

18. Exactly - Penn panders to the GOP now

He goes wherever the money is.

This is just rightwing fanfiction.

Response to TDale313 (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 04:31 AM

15. I agree

I’m still stuck on the role Biden played in the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill debacle. And I haven’t seen clear remorse from him for that. Maybe I missed it. I would love Bernie to run again because I think he injects a note of authenticity that very few politicians have managed to put over. But I really am wary of his age. I wish Alexandria Ocasio Cortez we’re old enough to run. Because again, I think it’s the note of authenticity that is compelling. I wish Beto O’Rourke had that for me, but I found myself turning him off when he spoke. And I’m also very interested in what Laurence Lessig had to say in his recent column in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/11/beto-orourke-billie-sutton-democrat-strategy-midterms
He feels the message of draining the swamp should be borrowed from Trump because it cuts across both tribes without demanding that anyone change sides.

But I found myself riveted by the Fox News hosts who lauded Oprah Winfrey when she spoke in support of Stacey Abrams. They said, “She makes us feel so included!” (Or something to that effect.) At that point I found myself saying, “Maybe Oprah should be the next candidate.”

In short, I want anyone who can beat Trump, and I don’t think it’s Hillary. Hopefully someone who genuinely cares about income inequality and climate change. But I can let that go, as long as they can beat Trump.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 04:45 AM

16. NO not again

NEVER again..

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 04:56 AM

17. 100% horseshit from a rightwing columnist

That's what Penn does now. He's a political mercenary.
He hasnt worked for her in 10 years and has zero insight into this. He's just giving his Trumpy readers a chance to freak out about their favorite boogeyman.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 07:57 AM

19. I hope she does.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 08:56 AM

22. Sounds like Republicans who don't want to lose a scapegoat

They have invested a lot of money time and effort in Hillary hate.

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 08:56 AM

23. No thanks Hillary..........

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 09:32 AM

24. Bullshit. She made it clear she won't, but leave it to the rag THe Hill to push this

Mon Nov 12, 2018, 09:36 AM

25. Locking...opinion

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.