HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Offutt lab's ID brings tw...

Sat Oct 20, 2018, 06:58 AM

Offutt lab's ID brings two more WWII "unknowns" home to families

Source: Omaha World Herald

By Steve Liewer

Fireman 2nd Class George C. Ford died at Pearl Harbor inside the pulverized battleship USS Oklahoma, on America’s first day fighting World War II. Pfc. Fred Ashley died in the last days of the war, murdered by German soldiers on patrol in Czechoslovakia.

Both spent decades buried in the wrong place, far from home, mourned by loved ones who could only guess at their fates.

Saturday, more than 70 years after their deaths, both men are being laid to rest with military honors, mourned mostly by family members too young to ever have known them.

Ford will be buried next to his siblings in Glidden, Iowa. His bones had been buried in graves marked “Unknown” at the National Military Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu, mixed with those of his shipmates.

FULL story at link below.

Read more: https://www.omaha.com/news/military/offutt-lab-s-id-brings-two-more-wwii-unknowns-home/article_bc52ec33-4876-55c2-af31-be457ce1a0b0.html

2 replies, 715 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Offutt lab's ID brings two more WWII "unknowns" home to families (Original post)
Omaha Steve Oct 20 OP
Kittycow Oct 20 #1
appalachiablue Oct 20 #2

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sat Oct 20, 2018, 08:18 AM

1. I like that the boys are finally being brought home.

I hope their sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Sat Oct 20, 2018, 10:52 PM

2. K & R. Rest in peace now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread