HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump official called Tru...

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:06 PM

Trump official called Trudeau 'that little punk kid running Canada,' the U.S. president's economic

Source: Toronto Star

Trump official called Trudeau ‘that little punk kid running Canada,’ the U.S. president’s economic adviser says

An official in the Trump administration privately referred to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as “that little punk kid running Canada,” another Trump official said at an event on Wednesday.

Larry Kudlow, Trump’s chief economic adviser, recounted the story at an invitation-only dinner hosted by the American Spectator, a conservative magazine.

According to the Washington Examiner, which was in attendance, Kudlow said that one of his friends in the White House, “who will go unnamed,” said they were pleased they had managed to come to a trade agreement with Canada — despite Trudeau.

“ ‘We didn’t walk away. We didn’t end it. We made a deal. Alright? ’Spite that little punk kid running Canada, we still made it,’ ” Kudlow said, the Examiner reported. “And I’ve had some wonderful run-ins with him.”

-snip-

Read more: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/10/18/trump-official-called-trudeau-that-little-punk-kid-running-canada-the-us-presidents-economic-adviser-says.html

FWIW, Kudlow's wording there, as quoted, leaves open the possibility that it was Trump himself who called Trudeau "that little punk kid."

30 replies, 2589 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump official called Trudeau 'that little punk kid running Canada,' the U.S. president's economic (Original post)
highplainsdem Oct 2018 OP
George II Oct 2018 #1
WePurrsevere Oct 2018 #6
George II Oct 2018 #8
WePurrsevere Oct 2018 #12
George II Oct 2018 #20
WePurrsevere Oct 2018 #21
Haggis for Breakfast Oct 2018 #13
murielm99 Oct 2018 #11
WePurrsevere Oct 2018 #23
OAITW r.2.0 Oct 2018 #26
WePurrsevere Oct 2018 #29
OAITW r.2.0 Oct 2018 #30
paleotn Oct 2018 #22
jmowreader Oct 2018 #2
badhair77 Oct 2018 #3
mahannah Oct 2018 #4
BobTheSubgenius Oct 2018 #5
Bernardo de La Paz Oct 2018 #7
George II Oct 2018 #9
SWBTATTReg Oct 2018 #10
Haggis for Breakfast Oct 2018 #15
Guy Whitey Corngood Oct 2018 #14
Haggis for Breakfast Oct 2018 #16
Dave Starsky Oct 2018 #18
Haggis for Breakfast Oct 2018 #25
njhoneybadger Oct 2018 #27
Fullduplexxx Oct 2018 #17
raccoon Oct 2018 #19
Cha Oct 2018 #24
njhoneybadger Oct 2018 #28

Response to highplainsdem (Original post)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:11 PM

1. I'm speechless. Just when they go low, they find out a way to go even lower.

When I go up there (three times since Orange Don took office) I find myself apologizing to my relatives and acquaintances.

The good thing, though, is that Canadians do NOT hate Americans, they only hate trump. And boy, DO they hate him!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to George II (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:26 PM

6. Unfortunately not all Canadians hate him. I've discovered that...

some, not all thank goodness, of my recently reunited with Canadian family members think he's great. They're also the same type that recently voted Doug Ford, a Trump admirer, in as Premier of Ontario.

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:56 PM

8. Yes, you're correct. There are "trumpians" even up in Canada, but I don't think PC voters....

....are quite as bad as American conservatives/tea partiers (who are a dying breed thankfully)

I was shocked that after experiencing the debacle of Rob Ford, they were stupid enough to elect his brother. I thought Kathleen Wynne was pretty popular in Ontario.

BTW, I was up there in September when they were debating Ford's decision to reduce the Toronto City Council (using an ancient law!). I see the reduction is going forward. Hopefully next week Torontonians will be sensible and elect a Liberal majority.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #8)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:26 PM

12. You're way ahead of me in knowing current politics...

I've always kept a bit of an eye on Canadian politics, a bit more since we moved up to northern NY in '99 but having found and been welcomed back by most of my paternal Canadian biological family this year has given me new impetus to learn more so in can avoid sounding like a total fool when they're discussing politics there and/or comparing them to here. ATM I'm in the 'I don't want to get into a political (or religion) discussion with you because I'd really prefer we continue to like each other' mode. lol Thankfully what I have discovered is most Canadians I've met so far are much nicer about backing down and don't seem to get as obnoxious about it.

Ford caught my attention by spouting Trumpy bull and otherwise emulating him. What a huge jerk he is. Gads!

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #12)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 02:39 PM

20. I never really paid too much attention until about ten years ago when I happened to be up there....

...a week or so before a Toronto municipal election. I was struck with how few commercials were run on the radio, and how civil the candidates were. Even those who called in to talk shows stuck to the issues rather than personal attacks and negativism.

Then the Rob Ford cocaine scandal broke a few years later. I don't really spend too much time on it, certainly not as much as I do our politics, but I find it interesting.

BTW, if you have a Canadian parent and you were born after 1947, you technically are a Canadian citizen. You can get a document (certificate of citizenship?) from the government by completing a form, sending in proof of your Canadian lineage, and a fee (think it's about $100) I only found out about this a few years ago, and since I'm 70 I'm not going to bother. But, had I known about this 30 years ago or so, I would have seriously considered relocating up there.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #20)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 03:04 PM

21. Oh? Thank you! My father was Canadian...

my mother an American and I was born in the US in 1960. So far I have DNA matches to 3 first cousins and a few 1c1rs whose parents/grandparents were siblings to my father and they were all definitely Canadian born. I'm very sure at least one of them would help me if that would work.

I have 3 paternal (half) brothers too but since their mother is pretending I don't exist ATM they are too (although I wasn't a product of cheating but rather young love before she even knew him so I don't get why). Hopefully they'll get over things soon like my maternal (half) sibs have.

Although I'm not sure I'd relocate yet since I have a hubby, small farm and furkids, to consider, I'd absolutely love to claim my Canadian citizenship so I 'could' if an opportunity or necessity arose. I'll have to see if I can find info on this. So far I'm only finding regular 'how to become' and 'do you qualify'.

Thanks again! I truly appreciate the info.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #8)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:39 PM

13. Well, dontcha know George II

that our second most famous elected white supremacist, Steve King (R-IA), just endorsed Faith Goldy for mayor of Toronto ??

Like Steve has any business sticking his alcoholic bulbous nose in Canadian politics . . .

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:16 PM

11. My daughter agrees.

She lives in Toronto. I was stunned when they voted for Doug Ford. She says they have their share of bigots racists and misogynists there.

They are still doing better than us. They have Trudeau. We have Tiny.

Reply to this post

Response to murielm99 (Reply #11)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 06:10 PM

23. While I don't always agree with Trudeau...

I will say this... I like his politics and personality overall MUCH better than Trump's and he has the bonus of being very easy on the eyes especially vs any of the adult male Trumps... who are most definitely NOT.

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #23)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 10:31 PM

26. Could you flesh out your disgreements with Trudeau?

It would be interesting to understand where Canada is on the Liberal/conservative fault ine.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to OAITW r.2.0 (Reply #26)

Sat Oct 20, 2018, 07:25 AM

29. I'm left of him on some things like...

The pipeline, selling weapons to the Philippines & Saudi Arabis, war in the Middle East, etc but overall I really like him and think he's a very good leader for Canada. Goodness knows he's certainly much much better than a Trump type conservative like Doug Ford.

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #29)

Sat Oct 20, 2018, 11:27 PM

30. OK, thanks for the clarification.

I think we need to be a lot more like Canada in their politics.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 03:18 PM

22. Does the agreement need

Canadian parliament approval? I wonder if folks are counting chickens befor they’re hatched. The dairy agreement might be a tough sell

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:11 PM

2. I guess that's to be expected...

...when you give Trump a framed photo of his grandpa’s cathouse as a gift.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:17 PM

3. It's normalized now. I don't like it, but the insults don't surprise me anymore.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:18 PM

4. Diplomacy.

Reply to this post

Response to mahannah (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:23 PM

5. Just what I was going to say.

The beautiful, eloquent language of diplomacy.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:38 PM

7. Generally Canadians feel Trudeau did well on NAFTA 2 despite tRump's bullying & obstinacy, I think

Plus America could have had 12 months ago the agreement that they got only just now. It's basically what Trudeau's team put on the table 12 months ago and said "take it or leave it". tRump got a few crumbs around the edges.

David Frum tweet:  ‏ "Regular reminder that Donald Trump’s core competency is not dealmaking with powerful counter-parties. It is duping gullible victims."

Canadians are pretty sharp and tRump is the punk with size issues.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #7)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:58 PM

9. "trump is the punk with size issues" - poor widdle "toadstool"!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:13 PM

10. I wouldn't laugh. This 'little punk kid' is doing by far a better job of governing then rump and...

cronies are doing by far. No comparison. Kudlow needs to shut the crap up and maybe breath once in a while, and listen to others too. He's just a loudmouth and still is, like when he was on TV.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #10)

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:41 PM

15. Kudlow hasn't been right about ANYTHING in the last 25 years, FFS.

He should shut up totally.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:40 PM

14. In his defense. Cocaine's a hell of

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:47 PM

16. THAT is a quote from trump.

Right after the NAFTA meet and greet, this is exactly what Spanky Mushroomdick said. C'mon, you know it sounds just like him. And I have no doubt that he would say that about Justin. He thinks anyone who doesn't lick his ass is beneath him. And I believe he's jealous. Trudeau is young, handsome, well-educated, learned politics at his father's knee (So he knows what he's doing, unlike Cadet McBonespurs.), gracious, and is, in general, well-respected by his nation - everything that turd weasel snizzwad is not.

Reply to this post

Response to Haggis for Breakfast (Reply #16)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 08:13 AM

18. And let's not forgot how Princess was eye-fucking him...

During his entire visit to the White House.

I can't believe that Daddy was too pleased about that.

Reply to this post

Response to Dave Starsky (Reply #18)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 10:16 PM

25. Could she have possibly been MORE obvious ?

Reply to this post

Response to Dave Starsky (Reply #18)

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 11:01 PM

27. tRump is sooooooo jealous of him

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 05:45 AM

17. The ratings on his rantings are falling so now he's trying to be really outrageous

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 08:34 AM

19. The "little punk kid" is 46 years old. Undoubtedly, whoever said this

The “little punk kid” is 46 years old. Undoubtedly, whoever said this Is a dotard.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 07:16 PM

24. All of trump's doormat Assholes are fucking Morons.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 19, 2018, 11:09 PM

28. A little punk kid is someone who burns through 400 million of daddy's money

Then has to hook up with Russian mobsters for financing eventually selling out his country to Vladimir Putin

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread