HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » FBI says man planned to b...

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 09:28 PM

FBI says man planned to bomb National Mall on Election Day

Source: Associated Press

Jim Mustian, Associated Press
Updated 8:02 pm CDT, Wednesday, October 10, 2018

NEW YORK (AP) — Federal authorities have charged a New York man with building a 200-pound (90-kilogram) bomb they say he planned to detonate on Election Day on the National Mall in Washington.

Paul Rosenfeld, 56, of Tappan, was charged Wednesday with unlawfully manufacturing a destructive device and interstate transportation and receipt of an explosive.

Prosecutors said he planned to use the bomb to kill himself and draw attention to a political system called sortition, in which public officials are chosen randomly rather than elected.

It was not immediately clear whether Rosenfeld had an attorney. A message left with the federal public defender's office in White Plains, which often represents newly arrested criminal defendants, wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/FBI-seizes-200-pound-bomb-from-NY-man-13297293.php

- click for image -

https://daily-voice-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/c_fill,dpr_auto,f_auto,q_auto:eco,w_640/Screen_Shot_2018-10-10_at_8.38.09_PM_zqbl8v

Paul Rosenfeld

3 hours ago
Tappan Man Arrested For Making 200-Pound Bomb, Planning To Detonate It
Joe Lombardi

A 56-year-old Rockland County man was apprehended during an FBI raid Wednesday after allegedly plotting to blow himself up with a 200-pound bomb on Election Day at the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Paul Rosenfeld of Tappan wanted to kill himself in order to bring attention to his “radical political beliefs,” authorities said.

“As alleged, Paul M. Rosenfeld concocted a twisted plan to draw attention to his political ideology by killing himself on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. risking harm to many others in the process,” said U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Geoffrey Berman. “Rosenfeld’s alleged plan for an Election Day detonation cut against our democratic principles.”

Rosenfeld sent letters and text messages to an individual in Pennsylvania, Berman said. The letters and text messages stated that he planned to build an explosive device and detonate it on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at the National Mall.

More:
https://orangetown.dailyvoice.com/news/tappan-man-arrested-for-making-200-pound-bomb-planning-to-detonate-it/743130/

7 replies, 1285 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply FBI says man planned to bomb National Mall on Election Day (Original post)
Judi Lynn Oct 10 OP
xor Oct 10 #1
IronLionZion Oct 10 #2
AnnieBW Oct 10 #3
Midnightwalk Oct 11 #4
ggmac0427 Oct 11 #5
7962 Oct 11 #6
MrScorpio Oct 11 #7

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 09:51 PM

1. "I have a really awesome idea I want us to adopt. So, I'm gonna blow stuff up to convince you"

Brilliant logic!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 10:00 PM

2. Good thing he's not a terrorist

despite using a threat of violence against civilians to pursue a political agenda, he's just too white. Everyone knows brown people should be racially profiled for terrorism, not whites. Maybe he has mental illness requiring thoughts and prayers.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 10:41 PM

3. Good Thing His Name Wasn't Mohammed

He'd have been thrown into Gitmo.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2018, 12:53 AM

4. Blame Trump

I guess the aluminum tariffs made tin hats too expensive. Good job the FBI got this guy.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2018, 04:55 AM

5. He was going to "carry" a 200-lb bomb? N/T

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2018, 06:18 AM

6. Never heard of this "group" he supposedly supports. Some whack job political belief.

From what I read I dont think it qualifies as either right or left, just stupid.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:37 AM

7. I'm sure that this psycho has been on someone's radar screen for a long time

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread