HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hurricane Florence: First...

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:16 PM

Hurricane Florence: First 2 deaths reported as 'powerful, slow and relentless' storm pummels North C

Source: Washington Post

Police in Wilmington, N.C., on Friday afternoon said that a woman and an infant were killed in that city when a tree fell on their home. The police department also said in a statement online that a third person the father was injured and taken to a hospital.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/09/14/hurricane-florence-sweeps-across-carolinas-bringing-life-threatening-rainfall/?utm_term=.4983cecf91bd

This is very sad.

5 replies, 1116 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hurricane Florence: First 2 deaths reported as 'powerful, slow and relentless' storm pummels North C (Original post)
mnhtnbb Sep 14 OP
Watchfoxheadexplodes Sep 14 #1
mnhtnbb Sep 14 #3
Watchfoxheadexplodes Sep 14 #5
unc70 Sep 14 #2
mnhtnbb Sep 14 #4

Response to mnhtnbb (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:18 PM

1. Very sad

One thing im worried about is trees in this sandy Columbia SC soil

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Watchfoxheadexplodes (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:31 PM

3. So many trees in North and South Carolina.

One of the reasons there is so much power outage during storms because so many power lines are above ground and when the trees snap or limbs come down, you're out of luck.

I used to live in Chapel Hill and we had power outages all the time. Just a thunderstorm would take a big tree or limb down and there went the power.

Now I live downtown Raleigh and all the power is underground. So far, even with 40+ mph wind gusts, no problem last night or today.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #3)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:36 PM

5. Our power company did trimming

During flood of 2015 they found a lot of power loss was as simple as branches banging on them in wind.

Now im either safer from flooding living on a huge hill or not as safe the wind whipping around.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:22 PM

2. Now four

Expect it to be 15-30

Reply to this post

Response to unc70 (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 02:35 PM

4. I just checked the other two.

One woman had a heart attack and couldn't be reached by emergency personnel due to delays caused by blocked roads from tree debris. Another person died while plugging in a generator.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread