HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » GOP Senate candidate's co...

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 08:10 AM

GOP Senate candidate's comments raise questions about potential campaign finance violations

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: cnn

CNN Digital Expansion 2017

By David Wright and Dan Merica, CNN

Updated 9:25 PM ET, Thu September 13, 2018

(CNN)A Republican Senate candidate in Montana is facing questions over comments he made suggesting he knew of the National Rifle Association's plans to be involved in his race -- a move that experts say could violate campaign finance laws meant to prohibit campaigns from coordinating with outside groups................................................

The Tester-Rosendale race is one of the most closely watched Senate contests in the country, with Rosendale looking to capitalize on Donald Trump's popularity in a state the President won by 20 percentage points in 2016.

"Outside groups are spending on your behalf?" an unidentified questioner asks Rosendale in the audio.

"Yes," Rosendale answers. "So the Club for Growth has already started. There's another group that has already started. I can't even remember the name of it now. They just started recently. So outside groups already started to come in. And I fully expect that the US Chamber's going to come in, and I fully expect the NRA is going to come in. I think both of them will be coming in, probably, right here in August sometime."...............................

At issue: The NRA-ILA, which is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, is prohibited from coordinating independent expenditures -- like the ads against Tester -- with a federal campaign such as Rosendale's....................................

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics/matt-rosendale-nra-spending-campaign-finance/index.html?utm_term=image&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNNp&utm_content=2018-09-14T12%3A48%3A05

Trump rallying up the crowd on his visit to Montana last week. He is still angry at Tester:

1 replies, 429 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Senate candidate's comments raise questions about potential campaign finance violations (Original post)
riversedge Sep 14 OP
DonViejo Sep 14 #1

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 08:44 AM

1. Locking...

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink