HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Seth Rich Family's Lawsui...

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 02:51 PM

Seth Rich Family's Lawsuit Against Fox News Dismissed

Source: Variety

federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought against Fox News by the parents of slain Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, finding that the suit did not meet the legal requirements to proceed.

Joel and Mary Rich sued the network in March, accusing it of fabricating a story that accused their son of conspiring with WikiLeaks. The suit alleged intentional infliction of emotional distress, interference with a contract, and negligent supervision.

In his ruling Thursday, Judge George Daniels found that the complaint failed to satisfy the elements required under federal law.

“It is understandable that Plaintiffs might feel that their grief and personal loss were taken advantage of, and that the tragic death of their son was exploited for political purposes,” Daniels wrote. “However, a general allegation that Defendants had an ‘agreement to collaborate against’ Plaintiffs cannot form the basis of an IIED claim. … Plaintiffs’ complaint is dismissed in its entirety.”

Read more: https://variety-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/variety.com/2018/tv/news/seth-rich-fox-news-lawsuit-dismissed-1202893525/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2018%2Ftv%2Fnews%2Fseth-rich-fox-news-lawsuit-dismissed-1202893525%2F

8 replies, 1806 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Seth Rich Family's Lawsuit Against Fox News Dismissed (Original post)
Jose Garcia Aug 2018 OP
The Wielding Truth Aug 2018 #1
exboyfil Aug 2018 #3
The Wielding Truth Aug 2018 #7
Stallion Aug 2018 #2
LenaBaby61 Aug 2018 #4
AZ8theist Aug 2018 #5
SkyDaddy7 Aug 2018 #6
mountain grammy Aug 2018 #8

Response to Jose Garcia (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 02:58 PM

1. They should go a different route. it was an unconscionable act and did harm the family.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Wielding Truth (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 03:15 PM

3. I am not sure there really is another legal path

I would think economic damages to the estate of Rich, but I am not seeing it. An internet search didn't show any examples. Here is an article.

It seems the law should allow it. If I was to say that Robin Williams was a rapist, then that could damage his movie residuals paid to the estate. Such a law would stop some of the tell all crap books that are currently in print.

http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2011/01/can-you-be-sued-for-libeling-dead-john.html

Reply to this post

Response to exboyfil (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 05:31 PM

7. What about the use of political propaganda to threaten and harm our democracy?

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 03:08 PM

2. Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress claim is very difficult to prove

things that would "shock the conscience" of the average person don't meet the standard at least from my experience in Texas which admittedly has a very conservative judiciary

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 03:30 PM

4. So, I'm guessing ...

That Faux Noose and other right-wingers can go back to spreading those same or more dispicible lies about Hillary Clinton having Seth Rich AGAIN, because Faux Noose knows that they won't be facing any liability behind their lies. Hell, Alex Jones, or the guy known as Q may as well spew lies about those children @ Sandy hook being crises actors, or say that a certain Dem representative is in NAMBLA and for "someone" to murder that Dem representative, because they won't face ANY consequences. SOME news anchor over at CNN is going to get hurt, possibly killed, and their family members more than likely won't be able to get any relief via the court system.

Dems are in for a LONG, LONG painful and possibly violent road because this is becoming the norm, and the injured party WILL have NO way to extract damages due to the Alex Jonses of the world egging on someone's murder who they feel is in the Deep State.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 04:38 PM

5. The coming Civil War

Left vs Right.

Just what Putin ordered.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 05:21 PM

6. It really is SICK...

What Conservative Media’s Propaganda for Profit has done to our nation!

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #6)

Thu Aug 2, 2018, 05:58 PM

8. Yes it is..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread