HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Exclusive: After discoura...

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:14 AM

Exclusive: After discouraging year, U.S. officials expect review of Afghan strategy

Source: Reuters

JULY 10, 2018 / 4:57 PM / UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO

Idrees Ali, Jonathan Landay

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is preparing to undertake a review of its strategy in Afghanistan, U.S. officials told Reuters, a year after President Donald Trump begrudgingly agreed to extend America’s involvement in the 17-year-old war.

Officials said Trump has shown signs of frustration over the lack of progress since he unveiled a strategy last August that committed to an open-ended deployment of U.S. military advisers, trainers and special forces and increased air support for Afghan security forces. The goal was to force the Taliban militants to open peace talks with the Kabul government.

Trump was opposed to remaining in America’s longest war, but was convinced by his advisers to give it more time. He authorized last year the deployment an additional 3,000 U.S. troops, bringing the total to around 15,000.

Nearly a year later, the current situation is in a stalemate in which Afghan civilians are paying a heavy toll, the Taliban are expanding in rural areas but are unable to capture major urban centers and the capability of Afghan security forces remains in doubt.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-afghanistan-exclusive/exclusive-after-discouraging-year-u-s-officials-expect-review-of-afghan-strategy-idUSKBN1K02TN

Frustrated Trump may reconsider Afghanistan strategy

https://www.axios.com/nato-defense-spending-by-country-two-percent-0ec4aab3-7727-453a-bdad-dfefc34eef3c.html

5 replies, 391 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Exclusive: After discouraging year, U.S. officials expect review of Afghan strategy (Original post)
DonViejo Wednesday OP
turbinetree Wednesday #1
hibbing Wednesday #2
Guy Whitey Corngood Wednesday #3
McKim Wednesday #4
Javaman Wednesday #5

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:18 AM

1. Maybe just maybe the sexual predator and the traitor should read Directorate S

but I doubt it very much.......................

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:20 AM

2. 17 years..ugh

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:23 AM

3. Hold up! I thought "bombing the shit out of them" would fix this whole thing..... Whah

happen(ed)?

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 12:24 PM

4. More Profit for Defense Industry

Well, this is more profits for the “defense” industry, what’s not to like? Always money for war, eh?
They will keep it going as long as they can. Keep those busy fighting in the economic draft so they won’t go home and cause trouble for their betters.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 02:38 PM

5. I thought the orange asshole said something about getting us out of there...

I know, I know, blah blah blah, bullshit bullshit bullshit, lies lies lies...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread