HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Rising star Alexandria Oc...

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 11:05 PM

Rising star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wins primary in district she is not running in

Source: ABC News

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who scored a major political upset last month when she unseated powerful Democratic Rep. Joe Crowley in the Democratic primary for a New York City congressional seat, has also won the Reform Party primary as a write-in candidate in a different Bronx-based district over the incumbent Democratic, Rep. Jose Serrano.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-wins-primary-district-running/story?id=56499055

The wave is coming!

11 replies, 1709 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Tarc (Original post)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 11:49 PM

1. "Of the 22 people who received write-in votes, Ocasio-Cortez got the most with nine.", fwiw.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 03:01 AM

2. Now that she'll be on the ballot, in the unlikely event she

would win, could she legally represent 2 districts? I don't know NY law, but I don't think you have to live in a CD to represent it.

Reply to this post

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 07:03 AM

3. Do not think she can

New York state law prevents candidates from running for two different offices simultaneously.
And that is what she'd be doing in November

Reply to this post

Response to rpannier (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 09:43 AM

4. They aren't different offices, though - both are Representative in Congress

In Pennsylvania you can run for two different offices at the same time. If you don't get "promoted" by the voters, you can keep your current job. IIRC, Allyson Schwartz did this when she ran for Senate while still running for re-election in the House.

It would be an interesting to know if it is possible for 1 person to be elected in 2 different districts and serve both.

Reply to this post

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:37 AM

11. IN New York they are considered two different offices as they are not the same seat

So, she cannot

Reply to this post

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:30 AM

5. That would be very bad precedent

You’d wind up with these ultra-Republican states sending one loudmouth to cast 15 voted.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:40 AM

6. they vote the same anyway. Just wouldn't have to listen to all of them. I am for it.

Reply to this post

Response to NOMOGOP (Reply #6)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 02:22 PM

7. I'm just curious about this as a legal matter

nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 06:12 PM

8. Who in fuck's name writes in a candidate they know can't serve in that district?

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 08:16 PM

10. I think it was a political stunt. The primary was for the Reform Party, so fewer than 10

people made all this happen.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 07:47 PM

9. To be honest, she's overrated

She's got great progressive views, and I'd have voted for her in her district but her background is quite thin, she's not going to be a national party leader. Alexandria would get eaten alive by tough questions.

Abdul El-Sayed is a much better candidate to project nationally and he is equally progressive. If you are unfamiliar he's running in the MI Gov primary, currently 2nd or 3rd. Rhodes scholar, physician trained at Colombia, and as progressive as it gets.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread