HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Kavanaugh Argued A Long L...

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:23 PM

Kavanaugh Argued A Long List Of Impeachable Offenses For Clinton

Last edited Tue Jul 10, 2018, 11:46 PM - Edit history (1)

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Talking Points Memo

By Matt Shuham | July 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Much has been made of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s argument, years ago, that Congress ought to pass a law protecting presidents from criminal investigations and prosecutions, as well as civil suits, during their time in office.

But, years before he made that argument, Kavanaugh played a key role in one of the most consequential investigations of a president in the 20th century: The judge has been identified as “a lead author” and “one of the primary authors” of independent counsel Ken Starr’s report to Congress on impeachable offenses committed by then-President Bill Clinton.

Whatever Kavanaugh’s thoughts on presidential probes today — they will surely be examined in his confirmation hearings — the Starr report, of which he was a co-author, argued that there was a large number of offenses for which a president could be impeached.

Here they are, as summarized from the report itself:

AS Naomi Klein stays in her Book "No is not Enough"

I am not looking, to overthrow the government .....................the corporate state already has ......................

--------------John Trudell-------------Santee Dakota Sioux activis, artist and poet ( 1946--2015)

Read more: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/kavanaugh-argued-a-long-list-of-impeachable-offenses-for-clinton

And now he says that a person in the office of the president should not have to be tasked with upholding the rule of law and should not be put under investigation...................the haves against the have not's, is that what your saying Kavanaugh......................

November 2018 cannot get here fast enough...................vote

AS Naomi Klein stays in her Book "No is not Enough"

I am not looking, to overthrow the government .....................the corporate state already has ......................

--------------John Trudell-------------Santee Dakota Sioux activis, artist and poet ( 1946--2015)

12 replies, 1382 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:28 PM

1. Voila. The Big Flip-Flopper

Thanks to you and TPM.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ancianita (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:32 PM

2. Your welcome...................now we are getting from the talking heads in the senate ............

to have a "open mind" .....................to hell with that.....................I am pissed off................that's not how it's suppose to work...............we have over thirty years of the Federalist Society attacking "We the People"............

Response to turbinetree (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:43 PM

11. Yeah. Fuck the guilt trips and appeals to accomodation! No platform! No appeasement!

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:34 PM

3. Kavanaugh is supposedly highly partisan.

I haven’t read any of his writing, but a news person recently said that he even uses extremist language, as from the anti-abortion crowd, in his legal arguments. Perhaps he found so many impeachable offenses for Clinton because he is a Democrat. No Republican at the time called for an end to the never-ending Starr investigations, many of which truly were a witch hunt, unlike today when they’re actively trying to kill the Mueller investigation. Now that we have a Republican president, Kavanaugh thinks it’s okay for him to commit any crime with impunity. I hope someone asks him what he thinks the remedy is when a president commits multiple crimes but has a Congress that colludes with him to keep him in power and refuses to impeach even in the face of blatant illegalities.

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:55 PM

8. I'm curious where he was on the whole torture issue

I started doing some research to see how in cahoots he was with Yoo and Addington and all the rest earlier, maybe I'll get back on it.

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:35 PM

4. At first I thought that his arguing for impeachment was a good sign....

but then I became aware that he was probably just anti-Clinton. Makes more sense that Trump would pick someone who hates the Clintons. And that Kavanaugh is very much a Presidential all-encompassing power believer (except the Clintons, apparently).

He even said that lying to the public would be an impeachable offense. I'm sure he doesn't believe that, really. Especially NOW. It was just that he believed that as to Bill Clinton only.

They can give him a rough time at the hearings. But it's just show. He seems to be a shoe-in for confirmation. Some pundits have said some Dem conservatives would have trouble not confirming him. I hope they're wrong.

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:42 PM

6. He should have never been put on the bench in the first place...................

this person will go right after the fourteenth amendment................mark my words..............

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:42 PM

5. What's good for the goose is nt right for the gander

Prosecute Clinton. Defend Bush.

Forget the aborton stuff, Trump picked him to defend Trump

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:49 PM

7. When it comes to the orange one and impeachment

you can be assured that you will hear nothing but crickets from kavanaugh.

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:00 PM

9. IOKIYAAR

yup

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:36 PM

10. So, is this enough to impeach him. That he is obviously judging for political purposes?

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 08:20 AM

12. Locking...

The Forum Hosts feel this is opinion and analysis, not LBN. Please post this in the General Discussions Forum.