HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama to deliver Mandela ...

Mon Apr 23, 2018, 11:26 AM

Obama to deliver Mandela event speech in latest contrast with Trump

Source: CNN

Updated 9:24 AM ET, Mon April 23, 2018

(CNN)Former President Barack Obama will deliver a high-profile address in July marking the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela's birth as he continues to shape his post-White House platform.

Like all of Obama's public appearances since leaving the White House, the lecture in Johannesburg isn't likely to raise his successor, President Donald Trump, by name. But the topic and setting will provide an implicit contrast to Trump and his view of US leadership around the globe.

Obama has traveled extensively abroad in his post-presidency, both for leisure and to deliver speeches. He appeared alongside German Chancellor Angela Merkel last summer and held a roundtable for young people in Singapore. He's also met with the leaders of France, China and Canada.

In events abroad and in the US, Obama has dutifully avoided direct criticism of Trump, even as the current President works to dismantle elements of his legacy. That has included key items of foreign policy like withdrawing from the Paris climate accord or the Trans-Pacific Partnership. ..................

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/politics/barack-obama-nelson-mandela-speech-donald-trump/index.html

Thank you Pres. Obama for representing America.

PS--Trumpy is not going to like this headline. too bad.

3 replies, 996 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama to deliver Mandela event speech in latest contrast with Trump (Original post)
riversedge Apr 2018 OP
ailsagirl Apr 2018 #1
pandr32 Apr 2018 #2
Hortensis Apr 2018 #3

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Mon Apr 23, 2018, 12:19 PM

1. Great to hear!!! I'll mark my calendar

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 23, 2018, 01:13 PM

2. I love Obama's speeches

...and listen intently.
Any time his successor talks I change the channel because he has nothing to say except to dog whistle, crow, lie, scapegoat, congratulate himself, or criticize Obama or Hillary Clinton.
I look forward to President Obama's speech in July.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 23, 2018, 01:59 PM

3. Obama reminds the world the real America that provided

stability to the Long Peace of international cooperation and continual advances in democracy and social and economic development still exists.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread