HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Greensboro, North Carolin...

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 01:31 PM

Greensboro, North Carolina, under state of emergency after apparent tornado hits city

Source: CBS News

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Authorities declared a local state of emergency in Greensboro, North Carolina, after an apparent tornado caused damage in several locations around that city. Greensboro police said in a tweet Sunday that there also has been one storm-related fatality in Greensboro, but they gave no immediate details of that death.

They did not elaborate on the damages. But earlier media reports said high winds damaged at least seven homes, destroyed one mobile classroom at an elementary school and toppled trees and power lines.

The statement says emergency crews are conducting emergency checks in the areas affected and urged anyone needing immediate shelter to head to a local high school. Separately the city of Greensboro tweeted that damage was "prominent" but that a tornado had not been immediately confirmed by the National Weather Service.

The storm system dumped 2 feet of snow on parts of the Upper Midwest and coated roads with ice before plowing toward the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greensboro-north-carolina-tornado-damage/

6 replies, 1433 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Greensboro, North Carolina, under state of emergency after apparent tornado hits city (Original post)
groundloop Apr 2018 OP
vkkv Apr 2018 #1
neohippie Apr 2018 #2
mwooldri Apr 2018 #3
masmdu Apr 2018 #4
Justice Apr 2018 #6
appal_jack Apr 2018 #5

Response to groundloop (Original post)

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:21 PM

1. "It's just weather".. Anthropomorphic climate change is a hoax by the 'Libral' Elite! ......nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:28 PM

2. Death was person driving car hit by felled tree

Here is a local story about the storm damage.

A lot of the damage is just blocks from our office.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/suspected-tornado-kills-in-greensboro-damage-extensive-on-city-s/article_3fa1e99a-5bed-57d8-8f2f-010f944a75ec.html

There's a lot of damage mostly on the East side of town, but lots of homes, hit by trees, downed telephone and power poles I heard 23,000 without power. Many roads still had debris blocking routes. Many stoplights without power and of course nobody is treating them like a four way stop as they should.

Also may people driving in the damaged areas causing headaches for emergency response and repair crews.

Reply to this post

Response to neohippie (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:41 PM

3. City, County crews doing the best they can.

I live out that way, but we were lucky. I saw city crews rigging up the traffic lights on major intersections with a generator. There's plenty of debris, that's for sure.

Three schools are having to relocate for the rest of the school year, according to WFMY. http://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/relocation-plan-for-guilford-county-students-staff-affected-by-tornado/83-540183753

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 04:35 PM

4. I teach at one of the schools hit by the tornado

All three of our mobile classrooms were destroyed...looks like a bomb went of. The roof was torn off our main building and we will relocate to finish out the year as the building is unusable.

I walked the neighborhood this morning to check on some of my students. Shaken but OK for the most part. One boy asked when power will be back on so he can play Xbox 😀. Many homes in the area were crushed, picked up and flung around, or otherwise made unlivable.

Spent midmorning to afternoon passing out prepared lunches to kids in the area. Will do the same tomorrow. Lots of clean up to do.

Reply to this post

Response to masmdu (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 17, 2018, 12:09 AM

6. I am so sorry

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 16, 2018, 07:32 PM

5. K&R

The photos I have seen on Facebook are breathtakingly awful.

-app

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread