HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Who Needs a Controversy O...

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 06:57 PM

Who Needs a Controversy Over the Inauguration?: Reince Priebus Opens Up About His Six Months of Ma

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Vanity Fair

“Who Needs a Controversy Over the Inauguration?”: Reince Priebus Opens Up About His Six Months of Magical Thinking

Months after his chaotic resignation as chief of staff, and with his successor on the hot seat, Priebus comes clean about everything: the inauguration crowd-size fiasco, the decision to fire Comey, the Mooch, the tweets, how he helped saved Jeff Sessions’s job, and his mercurial former boss. “I still love the guy,” he says.
----------

Priebus cannot say he wasn’t warned. Just a month before the inauguration, he had been invited to lunch by Barack Obama’s outgoing chief of staff, Denis McDonough. Following the example of a memorable breakfast hosted eight years earlier by George W. Bush’s chief Josh Bolten—when 12 former White House chiefs had come to give advice to Obama’s incoming chief, Rahm Emanuel—McDonough was joined by 10 chiefs, Republicans and Democrats, in his West Wing office. And as they gathered around a long table, none doubted the enormity of the challenge facing Priebus. “We wanted to help Reince in any way we could,” said Jack Watson, who served President Jimmy Carter. “But I don’t think there was a chief in the room that thought he was going to be able to do the job, given Trump as his president.” Most of the former chiefs believed Trump was intellectually and temperamentally unfit for office—and few thought Priebus could rein him in or tell him hard truths. “We were thinking, God bless him. Godspeed. Good luck,” said Watson. “But he doesn’t have a prayer.”

Priebus was hobbled by two other factors. A former Republican National Committee chairman from Kenosha, Wisconsin, he barely knew his new boss, and he was part of the establishment that Trump had vilified. Moreover, during the campaign, the two men had been known to feud. Trump had been especially resentful of Priebus’s reaction to the campaign’s existential crisis just a month before Election Day: the release of the tawdry Access Hollywood tape, in which Trump had made graphic misogynist comments that were caught by an open microphone.

The morning after the video surfaced, Trump’s candidacy had been pronounced all but dead in the media. In response, the beleaguered nominee’s top aides—campaign C.E.O. Stephen Bannon, former New York mayor Rudy Giu­liani, New Jersey governor Chris Christie, Jared Kushner, and Ivanka Trump—gathered at Trump Tower for a war council to advise the candidate on whether he should stay in the race or quit.

The nominee, sleep-deprived, surly, his jaw clenched, posed the crucial question: in light of the videotape, what were his chances of winning? Priebus went first: “If you decide to stay in, you will lose in the biggest landslide in American political history.” One by one, Trump’s other advisers danced around the question—until finally it was Bannon’s turn. “One hundred percent,” he declared. “One hundred percent you’re going to win this thing. Metaphysical.” (Priebus recalled things differently, saying no one was that emphatic.)

Read more: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/02/reince-priebus-opens-up-about-his-six-months-of-magical-thinking

14 replies, 1725 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who Needs a Controversy Over the Inauguration?: Reince Priebus Opens Up About His Six Months of Ma (Original post)
MelissaB Feb 2018 OP
oldtime dfl_er Feb 2018 #1
Canoe52 Feb 2018 #3
MelissaB Feb 2018 #4
Hermit-The-Prog Feb 2018 #13
BumRushDaShow Feb 2018 #2
MelissaB Feb 2018 #5
BumRushDaShow Feb 2018 #6
underpants Feb 2018 #8
BumRushDaShow Feb 2018 #9
underpants Feb 2018 #7
UpInArms Feb 2018 #10
Turbineguy Feb 2018 #11
Honeycombe8 Feb 2018 #12
DonViejo Feb 2018 #14

Response to MelissaB (Original post)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:00 PM

1. blech

Lost me at "I still love the guy"

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to oldtime dfl_er (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:09 PM

3. Same here, birds of a feather...

Response to oldtime dfl_er (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:15 PM

4. You need to keep reading. Trust me on this one.

Response to MelissaB (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 08:03 PM

13. you were right

It's worth the read.
They really are as clueless and incompetent as they appear to be.

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:04 PM

2. Make sure you post this in GD

because you know this will probably go bye bye here in LBN.

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:15 PM

5. Really?

I'll do that if it isn't there by now.

Response to MelissaB (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:18 PM

6. Yeah, they will probably consider it an "analysis" piece. nt

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:19 PM

8. I'd suggest in Editorials too. It tends to stay on the first page a lot longer there

This is a really good article.

Response to underpants (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:24 PM

9. There used to be a "Good Reads" group

or so I thought?

I noticed this at the bottom of the article -

Adapted from The Gatekeepers: How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every Presidency, by Chris Whipple, to be published in paperback on March 6, 2018, by Crown, an imprint of The Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC; © 2017, 2018 by the author.

So this is essentially from a book due out next month.

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:18 PM

7. That's a very good read.

I read it earlier. Very inclusive about the whole 6 months there.

A real shitstorm.

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:25 PM

10. Well, I feel dumber for having read all that.

Now, I need to go soak my head in bleach.

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:49 PM

11. If you love Donald Trump,

your brain's been sucked out.

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:59 PM

12. You lie down w/dogs, you get fleas. nt

Wed Feb 14, 2018, 08:14 PM

14. Locking....

The consensus of Forum Hosts agrees this is analysis, as well as being a book excerpt, not LBN. Please post this in the General Discussions Forum