HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump: U.S. expenditures ...

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:29 AM

Trump: U.S. expenditures in Middle East have been 'a mistake'

Source: The Washington Post

By Anne Gearan and Carol Morello February 12 at 9:31 PM

President Trump said Monday that U.S. aid expenditures in the Middle East were “a mistake,” both undercutting a round of complicated diplomacy in Arab capitals and underscoring his rising frustration at the dwindling chances of a Middle East peace deal.

The president also erroneously claimed that the United States has spent $7 trillion in the Middle East over the past 17 years — a return to a frequent theme for Trump that U.S. generosity be repaid with results or support.

“As of a couple of months ago, we have spent $7 trillion in the Middle East. Seven trillion dollars. What a mistake. But it is what it is,” Trump said at the White House as he introduced a domestic infrastructure spending plan.

“This will be a big week for Infrastructure,” Trump had tweeted earlier Monday. “After so stupidly spending $7 trillion in the Middle East, it is now time to start investing in OUR Country!”

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-us-expenditures-in-middle-east-have-been-a-mistake/2018/02/12/684e7592-1010-11e8-9065-e55346f6de81_story.html

10 replies, 1124 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump: U.S. expenditures in Middle East have been 'a mistake' (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2018 OP
bucolic_frolic Feb 2018 #1
yonder Feb 2018 #9
bronxiteforever Feb 2018 #2
leftynyc Feb 2018 #6
FailureToCommunicate Feb 2018 #3
TheyAreDeplorble Feb 2018 #4
bitterross Feb 2018 #5
UpInArms Feb 2018 #7
ProfessorGAC Feb 2018 #8
Sam McGee Feb 2018 #10

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:32 AM

1. We really must not get drawn into the drama

We get waves of stories, trump did or said this, then so-and-so is fighting trump.

Our time should be spent fighting, not listening. The time for listening was over a long time ago.

If you're not using your time or resources to increase Democratic turnout in November, you're wasting your time.
The media will play you all year long for ratings and advertising revenues.

Fight. Resist. Win. It's all that matters.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:59 AM

9. Good words bf, and thank you for this sobering reminder

Most days, I'm battling the mad gravity that sucks me in to the latest news cycle of the day. It is capital I don't have and that energy can be better spent doing as you suggest: "Fight. Resist. Win. It's all that matters".

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:35 AM

2. This today then

Tillerson also said Washington had decided to provide an additional $200 million of aid to stabilize liberated areas in Syria.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tillerson-mideast/countries-who-fought-islamic-state-must-help-rebuild-iraq-tillerson-idUSKBN1FX0RK

So Syria now. Trump speak with forked tongue!

Reply to this post

Response to bronxiteforever (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:36 AM

6. Huh?

Which are the "liberated" parts of Syria? Those controlled by the murderous isis or those controlled by the murderous al assad?

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:41 AM

3. Nothing about the human costs Mr Trump? Every vet should be fuming over crap

statements like this, not to mention all the rest of us!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:45 AM

4. He's just pissed because the Bush Crime Family took all that money and Trump, Inc. got shit.

Government expenditures are only worthwhile if they enrich Trump, Inc.

Reply to this post

Response to TheyAreDeplorble (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 AM

5. +10000

Yep, he's just mad the Cheney and his Haliberton friends figured out a way to do it that looked almost legit.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 AM

7. I wonder if this Republican candidate has heard this?

GOP Senate candidate's parents max out donations to primary campaign of Democrat he hopes to unseat

He continued, "I'm a conservative today not because I was born one, but because of the experience I earned as a Marine in combat, my experience as a husband and father, my choice to be a Christian, the schools I chose to attend and the decision to pursue the career that I have. Regardless of who may disagree with my life decisions, I would not trade these experiences for anything, and they will always guide my views as Wisconsin's next U.S. Senator."
Donna and Michael Nicholson did not return requests for comment.

Nicholson has previously faced questions about his political views as a younger man, when he was president of the College Democrats of America and spoke at the 2000 Democratic National Convention. Nicholson told Politico for a September story that his opinions permanently changed after his 2007 deployment to Iraq, when he became "livid" with Democrats' opposition to the war.

"I knew what we were doing there," he said. "We were stabilizing that country. We made incredible amounts of progress. And what I was hearing back home was a complete and absolute lie, as politicians were running around calling it a failure."

Reply to this post

Response to UpInArms (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:53 AM

8. Then Mikey Is A Moron

We DESTABILIZED Iraq. The one country with a strongman dictator (albeit a horrible person) who already knew the consequences of crossing the US and its western allies, is the one we took down for personal reasons. And, then there was al quaeda in Iraq and then ISIS, neither of which would have taken route while Hussein was in power.

This guy is an opportunist and a moron.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:03 AM

10. $7 TRILLION . . .

. . . and not a penny of it used to build a Trump Tower!!!!!

That's what REALLY pisses him off.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread