HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump takes aim at blue s...

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:38 AM

Trump takes aim at blue states in infrastructure plan

Source: Politico

Some major transit projects are left fighting for scraps.

By DANA RUBINSTEIN and RYAN HUTCHINS

02/12/2018 06:46 PM EST.......................

......................The Trump administration wants to rely on local governments and private operators to do the heavy lifting, even as those same local governments particularly in high-tax blue states are grappling with the budgetary implications of Trump's tax code changes that took effect last month.

"The Republican tax bill was specifically designed to extract wealth from places that vote Democratic and shift it to places that vote Republican, and so that makes it extremely difficult for us to self-tax to make up for the cuts that are coming from the federal government," said Gabriel Metcalf, president and CEO of SPUR, a San Francisco Bay area-based urban policy think tank.

Trump's plan plays to his base in rural and small-town America, where nearly two thirds of voters chose him in 2016 over Democrat Hillary Clinton. He campaigned on promises of improving job prospects for the parts of the country where they have been dim.

"It looks to me like the Cato Institute or somebody opened the file drawer and took all of their hackneyed old ideas out and rolled them into one proposal," said a Democratic official with a significant transportation experience. "They're half-baked. At the end of the day, they don't serve the economic interests of the country." .......................................

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/trump-infrastructure-blue-states-transit-405993

10 replies, 2879 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump takes aim at blue states in infrastructure plan (Original post)
riversedge Feb 2018 OP
Hermit-The-Prog Feb 2018 #1
C Moon Feb 2018 #2
Matthew28 Feb 2018 #3
modrepub Feb 2018 #5
modrepub Feb 2018 #4
joshdawg Feb 2018 #6
wishstar Feb 2018 #7
bettyellen Feb 2018 #9
IronLionZion Feb 2018 #8
Weed Man Feb 2018 #10

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:45 AM

2. Shocking. :/

That freak needs to be removed.
He is NOT interested in the well-being of the United States.
I fucking hate the GOP more and more everyday, for letting this freak carrying on like this.
History will not be kind to the GOP.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:05 AM

3. Looking at kansas

and other places the gop control...Well, it is either going to be toll roads or corporations controlling all the infrastructure and the little guy is going to be royally screwed.

I hate the GOP.

Reply to this post

Response to Matthew28 (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:35 AM

5. Nah

There's no private money going to invest in rural areas when they can go to a city and extract a hell of a lot more money. Again, the toll roads and other "public" improvements will be concentrated in the blue areas where there is the most potential for someone to pay back private investment with a nice rate of return.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 05:32 AM

4. Keep Taxes Revenues Local

Up the federal match and make sure more tax revenues stay local where they are collected. Tax money should be reinvested in areas that are generating them. The suburbs and cities are where tax revenue is generated, not the hinterlands. In my state we sit on the outdated Schuylkill Expressway that was built in the 50s while we spend millions extending I-99 that connects no major metropolitan areas. Time to fight back.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 06:39 AM

6. "At the end of the day, they don't serve the economic interests of the country."

Nothing the republicans do serve the economic interests of the country.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 07:17 AM

7. Under Bush I remember how a flood of Homeland Security money went to low- risk Repub rural areas

instead of concentrating on the populated Democratic urban areas that needed better security and were were more likely to be terrorism targets.

Reply to this post

Response to wishstar (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 03:57 PM

9. Yep, NYC largely has to fund their own efforts.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:03 AM

8. "he invited them to prove their worthiness and suggested some would struggle to do so."

This is all just a reality tv show that will severely weaken America's economy permanently

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 04:02 PM

10. His infrastructure plan will be widely ignored.

The budget doesn't work at all.

Here's my budget:

10% of the GDP goes to DoD, not 50%.

The rest goes equally on other services.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread