HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 60 Pro-Bradley Manning Pr...

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:25 PM

60 Pro-Bradley Manning Protestors Disrupt Obama's Oakland Headquarters

Source: US News

... At least 60 protesters showed up on the doorstep of the Barack Obama campaign headquarters in Oakland Thursday night, where they demanded the freedom of Bradley Manning, the Army private accused of leaking government secrets to WikiLeaks ...

Within minutes, a scuffle broke out between the volunteers and protesters, though it was unclear how it started ...

According to the Oakland Tribune, seven protesters eventually successfully planted themselves inside the campaign office, where they linked arms and told police they would not leave.

After several hours of negotiations with officers, one of the protesters left the office and the remaining six were arrested for trespassing ...

Read more: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/08/17/bradley-manning-protesters-disuprt-obama-oakland-headquarters

19 replies, 4392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply 60 Pro-Bradley Manning Protestors Disrupt Obama's Oakland Headquarters (Original post)
struggle4progress Aug 2012 OP
struggle4progress Aug 2012 #1
struggle4progress Aug 2012 #2
Robb Aug 2012 #3
DJ13 Aug 2012 #4
struggle4progress Aug 2012 #6
geek tragedy Aug 2012 #5
Smarmie Doofus Aug 2012 #7
struggle4progress Aug 2012 #8
wildbilln864 Aug 2012 #10
snot Aug 2012 #15
Ben_Caxton Aug 2012 #16
Smarmie Doofus Aug 2012 #17
Ben_Caxton Aug 2012 #18
Ben_Caxton Aug 2012 #19
Pharaoh Aug 2012 #9
struggle4progress Aug 2012 #11
AtomicKitten Aug 2012 #12
proud patriot Aug 2012 #13
Jamaal510 Aug 2012 #14

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:26 PM

1. ... Barely one week after the Obama campaign office on Telegraph Avenue in downtown Oakland

had one of its window panes shattered by Occupy protesters, at least 100 protesters calling for the release of jailed U.S. Army soldier Private First Class Bradley Manning invaded the campaign offices Thursday, occupying them for at least three hours and bringing business to a standstill before police forced them out ...

Bradley Manning protesters occupy Obama campaign office in Oakland
http://blog.sfgate.com/inoakland/2012/08/17/bradley-manning-protesters-occupy-obama-campaign-office-in-oakland/

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:27 PM

2. Protesters arrested for sit-in at Obama campaign office

... Police said that initial reports were that three protesters had entered the building, followed by reports that 60 protesters were inside. By 6:30 p.m., seven protesters were seated just beyond the front doors and refused to leave.

Several of the protesters sitting inside were wearing t-shirts reading "Iraq Veterans Against the War," including Scott Olsen, an Iraq War veteran seriously injured by a police projectile during an Occupy Oakland protest on Oct. 25.

Police later closed the doors to the building, leaving the larger crowd of protesters outside. Officers negotiated with the seven for several hours, and eventually arrested six of them for trespassing at the request for building management, according to police.

Olsen left voluntarily shortly before the arrests ...

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=8777075

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:39 PM

3. Agents provocateur, surely.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:42 PM

4. Good

Reply to this post

Response to DJ13 (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 08:51 PM

6. Nothing like getting in the face of campaign volunteers, eh?

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 07:53 PM

5. Meh. Occupy _____ is so 2011. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 09:20 PM

7. Can someone explain to me why we are still reading about Assange and Manning.....

... while, to date, there has been no satisfactory explanation of the "helicopter murder video" ( which was suppressed; then exposed by the aforementioned Assange and Manning -- *allegedly* ) ?

Every subsequent event in this torturous tale follows from the helicopter "killings".

In other words: 1. were the apparently murdered civilians, in fact, murdered? 2. Did US military personnel... as is suggested by the video... in fact, murder them? 3. Who *exactly* was/is responsible for the suppression of the video that Manning and Assange are accused of...... ummmm...... unearthing?

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 09:32 PM

8. Do you mean Collateral Murder? The event did occur in 2007, and two Reuters

employees were killed. It got substantial coverage at the time it happened, and Reuters had made unsuccessful efforts to obtain information such as the video for an extended period. It's the sort of nasty fuck-up that always happens with use of military force, as jaded soldiers kill people without consequence. There's no question that a lot of this goes on, and it's been increasingly isolated from the nightly news in the last thirty years: since the Reagan era, the military has had more and more control of reporting from "war zones" -- which is one reason public opposition to the Iraq war was so slow to develop

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 09:49 PM

10. "Can someone explain to me why we are still reading about Assange and Manning....." yes!

and the answers is what you stated! "....to date, there has been no satisfactory explanation of the "helicopter murder video" ( which was suppressed; then exposed by the aforementioned Assange and Manning -- *allegedly* ) ?"

Reply to this post

Response to wildbilln864 (Reply #10)

Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:59 AM

15. And weren't an Iraqi father and his kids also murdered, not just the reporters?

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 20, 2012, 06:59 AM

16. Have you read the 15-6 Investigation?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2010/04/6-2nd-brigade-combat-team-15-6-investigation.pdf

In any case it is a bad idea to wander the streets of Iraq with guys carrying RPGs. Bad things can and do happen...

Reply to this post

Response to Ben_Caxton (Reply #16)

Mon Aug 20, 2012, 08:55 AM

17. Gosh . A US Army Report that clears the army and blames the victims.

What a shock.

Tell me: why didn't the "terrorists" ... who were allegedly carrying rpgs and allegedly looking for Americans to kill, look up at the helicopter before it opened fire?

Didn't they know the USA had helicopters that could see them and shoot them from the air.

Those are some pretty slooooooowwwwww bandaleros.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #17)

Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:13 AM

18. Easy to say...

I'd encourage you to actually read it and point out discrepancies so you can speak intelligently about it.

It's got pictures and everything...

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #17)

Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:51 PM

19. As a side note...

A nice animated .gif as well...

edit: hmm... looks like there's an edit button. Second post unnecessary.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 09:41 PM

9. S4P

I'm not clear, are you pro Bradley Manning or do you think he should be sent to Gitmo?

Reply to this post

Response to Pharaoh (Reply #9)

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:06 PM

11. I have no final opinion on his guilt or innocence: he's entitled to plead but hasn't yet

My impression, if the charges are correct, will be that he is a confused young man, who thought he could fit into hacker culture by coordinating a huge leak of information to which he had access in result of his military position

Nothing I know about the proceedings so far suggests that Manning will claim to have acted as a whistle-blower: I think his attorney will try to argue he was disturbed and that the military shouldn't have given him so much access, but that he really didn't do very much damage. IMO he'd have trouble arguing any whistle-blower-like necessity anyway, given the indiscriminate volume of his release: he simply couldn't have reviewed that volume of material and made conscientious choices about it

I'm an anti-militarist: US spending on "defense" is criminal in scale, and most US military actions that I can remember are inexcusable. Moreover, the restrictions on press coverage of US military actions, that first began to be imposed in the Reagan and Bush years, are inexcusable and still need to be fought

But Manning isn't a hero to me, I'm afraid. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 PM

12. Because campaign volunteers are obviously bastards on policy.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2012, 10:57 PM

13. Welcome to the SF Bay Area

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 18, 2012, 11:52 AM

14. This is embarrassing.

And those protesters weren't even going after the right people. They were protesting at a place where campaign volunteers were, not actual government officials.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread