HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Federal court approves $2...

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:44 PM

Federal court approves $25 million Trump University settlement

Source: NBC

A federal court approved a $25 million settlement on Tuesday with students who said they were duped by Donald Trump and his now-defunct Trump University, which promised to teach them the "secrets of success" in the real estate industry.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco finalized the settlement after it was first approved by a judge last March following an appeal by Sherri Simpson, a Florida woman who said she spent roughly $19,000 on Trump University workshops. Simpson had wanted to opt out of a class action suit in order to pursue a separate suit against Trump, but the court rejected that.

Students had alleged that Trump University, which was open from 2005 to 2010, used false advertising and high-pressure sales techniques to lure them to free investor workshops at which they were sold expensive seminars and told they would be mentored by real estate gurus, leading to the loss of thousands of dollars in tuition.

A "one-year apprenticeship" at the educational institute cost $1,495; a "membership" over $10,000; and "Gold Elite" classes ran $35,000.

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/federal-court-approves-25-million-trump-university-settlement-n845181

6 replies, 999 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Federal court approves $25 million Trump University settlement (Original post)
UpInArms Feb 2018 OP
SHRED Feb 2018 #1
Grassy Knoll Feb 2018 #2
Archae Feb 2018 #3
justhanginon Feb 2018 #4
turbinetree Feb 2018 #5
Bayard Feb 2018 #6

Response to UpInArms (Original post)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 10:59 PM

1. Dump will get his Russian 💲 to pay this

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 11:05 PM

2. To Be Fair, Obama Got Sued For A Lot More..

...Said No One Ever...

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 11:50 PM

3. Is this how much the "students" lost?

And will Trump actually pay the award?

Or as always, will he use either campaign funds or "charity" money to pay it?

I have no dout it'll be the latter.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 07:42 AM

4. So the president of the United States has to pay out 25 mil for

what amounts to defrauding his fellow citizens. Because of trump the degradation of the office of the presidency continues unabated. I hope the people who voted for this slimy so-called businessman are taking note with some degree of embarassment. I won't hold my breath.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 09:38 AM

5. SO now that this dickhead is president, who pays, the RNC, and that fund, after all they are paying

attorney fees in a treasonous money laundering, blackmail investigation, just add this scam to the list

And now that he wants a parade, I (think someone should file a lawsuit), just to piss him off

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 11:23 AM

6. If a president can settle a lawsuit while in office

Why can't he be indicted? They're both court matters. And both certainly show a lack of ethics.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread