HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » The GOP doesnt care if yo...

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:03 AM

The GOP doesnt care if you like their tax plan. Heres why

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Conversation

Congressional Republicansí collective sigh of relief after passing tax legislation may seem confusing. Wonít voters hold them accountable in 2018 for passing such an historically unpopular bill? The answer is ďno,Ē for several reasons.

First, the billís unpopularity may be somewhat overstated. A lot of the disapproval expressed in surveys is more about the billís sponsors than about the bill itself. In these polarized times, almost anything carrying the presidentís endorsement is going to be a non-starter for more than half the population. If Trump were to designate ice cream the official White House dessert tonight, at least a third of us would stop ďscreaming for itĒ tomorrow.

This is not to say that this legislation should be more popular. But letís face it, efforts to win over Blue America with fewer corporate tax cuts, fewer cuts for wealthy individuals, or fewer changes to popular tax breaks would have probably fallen on deaf ears in this environment.

PLACATING THE BASE

More importantly, as University of Glasgow political scientist Christopher Jan Carman and I have found, Republicans in Congress simply donít care as much about public opinion as Democrats do. The ideological convergence between voters and legislators is more than three times greater among Democratic legislators than among Republicans.

Read more: https://theconversation.com/the-gop-doesnt-care-if-you-like-their-tax-plan-heres-why-88467

Oy.

13 replies, 3323 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to jayschool2013 (Original post)

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:06 AM

1. deplorables will believe all the lies on fox and now sinclair. It will all be Obama's fault.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:08 AM

2. When they lose their healthcare Medicaids and social security is cut those dumb fucks will care

Response to onecaliberal (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:24 AM

12. no they will blame big government liberals

and see it as proof that social programs won't help and aren't worth funding with tax dollars

it's a strange mindset. GOP lies have convinced them they would benefit more from tax cuts

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:09 AM

3. Problem with articles ignores racial attitudes

contributing to Republican wins in1980s .

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:10 AM

4. They don't have to care about public opinion...

They've spent years putting in place the system we have now through gerrymandering, tax breaks for only the most wealthy and huge corporations.

This is not news.

Response to llmart (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:14 AM

6. We're a Republic government. Once elected they can push their 'bill' a thousand times if they want.

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:10 AM

5. This bill is a mighty weapon

Certainly as designed for rich against poor but moreso,
we the people will club Republicans with their heinous
plan at every opportunity. With ever line item.
With every self-serving measure.
And when the majority of this country realizes
that their taxes are going up and the National
Debt has plunged into the toilet, Republicans
will be toast. Inform. Speak out. Boycott. Vote.

Response to C_U_L8R (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:16 AM

7. I just completed a rash of Tweets to the Twitter accounts of most of those who voted "yes".

It means nothing to them but it raised my spirits. Just a release for the sadness I feel for our country. We are divided beyond any healing. Even a war won't do it because the wealthy will be able to sit out as they use the children of the working men and women for fodder.

Somewhere out there, I can't help feeling that there is a woman who once was a victim of Trump's sexual assaults who may hold the reigns of his tenure. Something that has not been revealed yet.

Response to C_U_L8R (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:20 AM

9. Republicans handed out the 4 inch thick "bill" 20 minutes before their 'vote' last night.

I hope our Free Press asks and REPORTS answers- Ask each of them how they can even 'vote' on something they have never read and has hand written changes on many of the 4,000 pages.

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:17 AM

8. I believe blue state republicans

Will have blowback.
11 months.

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:23 AM

10. Many people believe the lies.... my repub Senator just sent an email touting their "achievement"

He's just spouting all the trickle-down smoke and mirrors bullshit right wingers have spouted for years - corporate tax cuts will equal higher wages for workers..... BULLSHIT. Corporate tax cuts will yield higher CEO bonuses and bigger payouts to large investors.

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:24 AM

11. We Shall See...

Part of the reason that Trumpís core numbers havenít moved much is because the GOP has been so ineffective in rolling out their agenda. Now that they have managed a reverse robin hood tax restructuring, thrown 13 million off health insurance, and raised health insurance costs by 10% in one bill - we shall see what people think.

Once people start feeling the pinch they may not be so enthusiastic about the GOP. Add to that the looming government shutdown Trump is so anxious for - and we may very well have a great big club to use on the GOP in 2018 and 2020.

Sat Dec 2, 2017, 10:40 AM

13. Locking - the hosts feel this is analysis, rather than a breaking news story

Please repost in General Discussion. Thanks.