HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pressure mounts on Facebo...

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 06:56 PM

Pressure mounts on Facebook to release campaign ads bought by Russia

Source: Yahoo News

WASHINGTON — A campaign finance reform group, accusing Facebook of being used as an “accomplice” in a Russian influence scheme, is calling on company chairman Mark Zuckerberg to reverse his position and publicly release “secretly-sponsored” Russian political ads that ran on its platform during last year’s presidential election.

“Facebook was secretly paid to host illegal political ads as part of an illegal foreign influence effort,” said the letter to Zuckerberg from Trevor Potter, president of the Campaign Legal Center and a former chairman of the Federal Election Commission.

“We are not aware of any federal law that would prohibit Facebook from making these ads public,” the letter to Zuckerberg continued. “By hosting these secretly-sponsored Russian political ads, Facebook appears to have been used as an accomplice in a foreign government’s effort to undermine democratic self-governance in the United States. Therefore, we ask you, as the head of a company that has used its platform to promote democratic engagement, to be transparent about how foreign actors used that same platform to undermine our democracy.”

Asked for comment, a Facebook spokesman said late Tuesday: “Federal law and ongoing investigations limit what we can share publicly.”

Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/pressure-mounts-facebook-release-campaign-ads-bought-russia-182538389.html

More confirmation that Facebook is caught up in Mueller's investigation of Russian influence on the election.

Also, the Campaign Legal Center says that internet providers are not exempt from laws that required paid political ads to state the names of their sponsors.

16 replies, 2694 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pressure mounts on Facebook to release campaign ads bought by Russia (Original post)
pnwmom Sep 12 OP
Biggity Sep 12 #1
pnwmom Sep 12 #2
Biggity Sep 12 #4
pnwmom Sep 12 #5
Biggity Sep 12 #8
Kleveland Sep 12 #6
Cadfael Sep 12 #3
Biggity Sep 12 #9
Judi Lynn Sep 12 #11
Ford_Prefect Sep 12 #7
BBG Sep 12 #10
FailureToCommunicate Sep 12 #12
pnwmom Sep 13 #13
FakeNoose Sep 13 #15
FailureToCommunicate Sep 13 #16
DeminPennswoods Sep 13 #14

Response to pnwmom (Original post)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:02 PM

1. Mueller's gonna GET 'im!

Good! If FB (I'll reserve my opinion on 'social media' for another time/thread) is in ANY way able to lend a hand in the righteous demise of the orange beast, they NEED to fork over that info!

Also: Hello. Hi. Hi there. Didn't see an introductions thread. (?)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Biggity (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:10 PM

2. Welcome to DU, Biggity!

I don't think we have a special introductions thread. Starting anywhere is fine.

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #2)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:12 PM

4. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome.

A couple questions: Why have I got to enter a "reply title" in a given topic/thread? Unfamiliar with this setup. Seems redundant.
Also, I've got to use an existing image from the site for my avatar? Not able to insert one of my own?

Reply to this post

Response to Biggity (Reply #4)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:22 PM

5. If you're just writing something short, you can say the whole thing in the reply title box.

And it you follow it with n/t, that tells people there's no message to follow.

So the "reply title" is usually only used for longer posts . . . or if you want to break up the post, deliberately. In that case you start the post in the "reply title" box, and end it in the "message text" box.

But no one really cares as long as you can't stand the orange creep.

I don't know the answer to your avatar question, but next time you see someone with an avatar, you should ask!

Reply to this post

Response to pnwmom (Reply #5)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:30 PM

8. Ohhhh....

....I see. Thanks so much! I've not seen a forum with this particular format/viewing method ("viewing method", ugh...what a friggin Luddite) so it's a bit odd for me.

"Orange creep", eh? Meh, a 'creep' could easily describe Benny Hill, John Waters, and my Aunt Gloria - all folks that I personally admire.
The drumpf is much more of a slimebag. A monstrous, salacious, repugnant, incestuous slimebag. I'm a native NYer; we've been hip to his brand of filth for decades. He sure fooled heaps of red state racists and their grimy ilk, though.

Reply to this post

Response to Biggity (Reply #4)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:23 PM

6. Star membership allows custom Avatars

Reply to this post

Response to Biggity (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:11 PM

3. Welcome!

Reply to this post

Response to Cadfael (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:38 PM

9. ..

[link:|

Hey, I figured out the pic/gif thing! I'm very accustomed to doing the 'save image' followed by plucking it from my folder. Huh, no shit.

Reply to this post

Response to Biggity (Reply #9)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:38 PM

11. Glad you saved that turtle cutie to share! Never saw one from that angle. Welcome to D.U.!

So much finer looking than the giant human turtle, Mitch McConnell!

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 07:30 PM

7. Kinda makes you wonder what they may have done to enable Brexit, no?

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #7)

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:20 PM

10. Brexit?

Why hasn't there been more about that possibility? Or was their vote in line with expectations?

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 12, 2017, 09:50 PM

12. Not just the ads...news now of (Russian) fake accounts promoting anti-immigrant rallies.

Just like Russia did across Europe.

Reply to this post

Response to FailureToCommunicate (Reply #12)

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 04:35 AM

13. It's mind boggling. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to FailureToCommunicate (Reply #12)

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 01:08 PM

15. Russians are anti-immigrant

...so why do they keep coming here to the US?

Why do they keep trying to buy US real estate? They come here and have anchor babies so their kids get US citizenship.
Then they turn around and start all this anti-immigration BS like it's something that benefits THEM.

Doesn't make sense. What's their angle? If we really do kick out the immigrants, Russians should be the FIRST to go.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #15)

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 04:17 PM

16. Well, Russian citizens may want to come here, but Putin's government destabilized Europe with

a massive refugee crisis coming out of various war-torn regions especially Syria. This added to a backlash of regional nationalism and the beginnings of breakup of the once powerful Nato/Western Europe alliances. Look at Brexit. A weakened West makes Russia more powerful, and the quiet coup installing Trump is just the most recent chapter.

Allowing Russian oligarchs to launder millions thru real estate here just helps Putin and his pals.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 13, 2017, 05:17 AM

14. I predict an upstart challenger to Facebook

to emerge sooner rather than later.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread