HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » U.S. private sector adds ...

Wed Aug 2, 2017, 08:37 AM

U.S. private sector adds 178,000 jobs in July: ADP

Last edited Wed Aug 2, 2017, 08:14 PM - Edit history (2)

Source: Reuters

August 2, 2017 / 8:37 AM / 12 hours ago

U.S. private sector adds 178,000 jobs in July: ADP

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. private employers added 178,000 jobs in July, below economists' expectations, a report by a payrolls processor showed on Wednesday.

Economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast the ADP National Employment Report would show a gain of 185,000 jobs, with estimates ranging from 151,000 to 225,000 jobs added.

Private payroll gains in the month earlier were revised up to 191,000 from an originally reported 158,000 increase.

The report is jointly developed with Moody's Analytics.

The ADP figures come ahead of the U.S. Labor Department's more comprehensive non-farm payrolls report on Friday, which includes both public and private-sector employment.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-adp-idUSKBN1AI1LI

Edited to use a more informative link. I was at home this morning, and my link to the internet is way too slow to load much more than text. The original link was to ADP itself.

ADP National Employment Report: Private Sector Employment Increased by 178,000 Jobs in July
https://www.adpemploymentreport.com/2017/July/NER/NER-July-2017.aspx

Earlier this morning I had said that this month's number was "more than June, less than May, just about like April." The June number, though, was revised up, a lot, from 158,000 to 191,000.

4 replies, 2326 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.S. private sector adds 178,000 jobs in July: ADP (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Aug 2017 OP
politicat Aug 2017 #1
Skittles Aug 2017 #2
Midnight Writer Aug 2017 #3
JI7 Aug 2017 #4

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Wed Aug 2, 2017, 12:25 PM

1. So... I recall from the 2009-10 years that we must add 145K jobs just to maintain.

That number was the baseline, and when we were missing that by a little or barely exceeding it, CNBC and Faux would get wound up. (Despite the steady improvement and the depths of the crash.)

Numbers like that would have gotten their "anemic" rating then. (Not that I have a problem; I know that there's no such thing as perpetual growth without dire consequences. I'd rather we aim for homeostasis and sustainability than explosive growth.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 2, 2017, 02:09 PM

2. dismal

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 2, 2017, 04:46 PM

3. Don't worry. These are early "fake" numbers. Revised "fake" numbers will be out in a couple of weeks

Meanwhile, my GOP Encyclopedia of Alternate Facts calls this the greatest fake jobs report numbers of any Presidency, with the possible exception of Lincoln's.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 2, 2017, 07:24 PM

4. How many were coal jobs ?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread