HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » What Will They Do Now? Oc...

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:14 AM

What Will They Do Now? Ocare Repeal Bill Gives Moderates Nowhere To Hide

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Talking Points Memo

By ALICE OLLSTEIN Published JULY 17, 2017 6:00 AM

Just one week ago, Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) came out swinging against the Senate bill to repeal the Affordable Care Actsaying its deep cuts to Medicaid would devastate her low-income constituents, emphasizing that more funding for opioid addiction alone would not be enough to win her over, and vowing to stick her neck out to be the vote that kills the bill if necessary.

I only see it through the lens of a vulnerable population who needs help, who I care about very deeply, said Capito, whose states uninsured rate would spike more than any other if the bill becomes law. That gives me strength. If I have to be that one person, I will be it.

A few days later, a revised bill hit her desk. It included an extra $45 billion dedicated to treating the opioid epidemic that has wracked her state and many others, but the hundreds of billions in Medicaid cuts that so concerned her remained unchanged.

Yet Capito, and a handful of other moderate Republican lawmakers who quite recently cited the Medicaid cuts as a deal-breaker, were oddly tight-lipped last week after the updated bills release, and went out of their way to avoid speaking to reporters.

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-moderates-mcconnell-obamacare-medicaid

I wish I had a fish emoji or a pair of flip flops, because this right wing hypocrite really has no business being in the senate, you either stand for your principles or you don't, and getting bribe money from a slush fund, is just like standing on a street corner, or in some parking garage

People get sick Capito, and always have, don't you think that with all of the billions that can be thrown around for defense, or your pay check, that medicare for all would be cheaper in the long run.....................you really have no scruples, medicare for all is the best and cheaper health care provider

2 replies, 1166 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply What Will They Do Now? Ocare Repeal Bill Gives Moderates Nowhere To Hide (Original post)
turbinetree Jul 17 OP
no_hypocrisy Jul 17 #1
muriel_volestrangler Jul 17 #2

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:21 AM

1. My guess that the republican senators who will intend to vote against Trumpcare

will remain silent about their intentions until time to vote. I also guess that McConnell will want a firm commitment before the vote.

The challenge is if a republican senator says one thing to McConnell and votes another way, the RNC will primary that senator in revenge. OTOH side-stepping by not revealing a vote might avoid future retribution and unwanted solicitation to get that vote.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:54 AM

2. Locking - the hosts feel this is analysis and opinion, rather than a breaking news story

It says these lawmakers have stayed quiet, and analyses what their positions and actions might be.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink