HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Honolulu fire: three dead...

Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:01 AM

Honolulu fire: three dead after blaze breaks out in high-rise building

Source: Guardian

Honolulu fire: three dead after blaze breaks out in high-rise building

Around 100 firefighters tackle the incident at Marco Polo apartments, which did not have sprinklers, in the Hawaiian capital

At least three people have been killed after a fire broke out in a high-rise apartment building in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Thick black smoke and flames could be seen coming from the Marco Polo building near Waikiki after the fire started on the 26th floor on Friday afternoon.

The blaze quickly spread two floors higher, sending debris, including window frames, onto the street below.
Living in the shadow of Grenfell: 'It’s like looking into an open coffin'
Read more

“We have a very tragic situation with three confirmed fatalities,” said the city’s mayor, Kirk Caldwell.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/15/honolulu-fire-more-than-60-firefighters-tackle-blaze-at-high-rise-building

2 replies, 1576 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Honolulu fire: three dead after blaze breaks out in high-rise building (Original post)
canetoad Jul 15 OP
applegrove Jul 15 #1
Sen. Walter Sobchak Jul 15 #2

Response to canetoad (Original post)

Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:10 AM

1. Why are not sprinklers retrofitted into all high rise buildings. They did

that to my parents place.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to applegrove (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 15, 2017, 04:21 AM

2. Probably because some geezers started shaking their fists and rambling about having fixed incomes

Last edited Sat Jul 15, 2017, 05:33 AM - Edit history (1)

I will just about guarantee that is the answer to this and most deficiencies in old condo towers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread