HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Democrats to halt Senate ...

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:14 PM

Democrats to halt Senate business in health care protest

Source: CNN

Washington (CNN) Senate Democrats will move to bring the chamber to a halt Monday night to protest the Republicans' closed-door process to gut Obamacare in the coming days, according to a senior Democratic aide.

Democrats plan to object to routine requests to let the chamber operate -- whether it's scheduling votes or allowing committees to meet for extended hearings -- in a move aimed at escalating the fight over health care.

The Democratic base has been pushing senators to take a tougher approach on health care, but doing so could eviscerate the bipartisan atmosphere that existed after last week's violent attacks against lawmakers at a Congressional Baseball Game practice.
Senate Republicans are trying to get cut a deal among their own members, and are expected to bring the measure directly to the floor as early as next week -- and avoid committee hearings and votes.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politics/health-care-democrats-reaction/index.html

I haven't seen this posted yet - everybody call your Democratic Senator and urge them to hold firm. Tell your Republican Senator that voters in your state do not approve of a healthcare bill crafted in secret and they will make their displeasure clear at the polls!

18 replies, 3588 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Democrats to halt Senate business in health care protest (Original post)
Mountain Mule Jun 2017 OP
Eliot Rosewater Jun 2017 #1
Mountain Mule Jun 2017 #3
ResistantAmerican17 Jun 2017 #2
Mountain Mule Jun 2017 #4
progree Jun 2017 #5
greymattermom Jun 2017 #6
Dustlawyer Jun 2017 #7
Mountain Mule Jun 2017 #11
maxrandb Jun 2017 #8
dalton99a Jun 2017 #10
turbinetree Jun 2017 #12
pangaia Jun 2017 #14
Lordquinton Jun 2017 #15
dalton99a Jun 2017 #9
DFW Jun 2017 #13
cynical_idealist Jun 2017 #17
BigmanPigman Jun 2017 #16
Mountain Mule Jun 2017 #18

Response to Mountain Mule (Original post)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:20 PM

1. Calling now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:22 PM

3. Thank You!

Everybody make those phone lines in DC glow blue!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:21 PM

2. Finally---Democrats Don't Fall the Lucy Football trick

now stick to your guns Dems. Run those hypocritical assholes to ground.

Reply to this post

Response to ResistantAmerican17 (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:41 PM

4. Absolutely!

How evil is that - republicans dismantling our health care in secret? They must be really scared of the people's reaction if they found out. Hold firm, Dems!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:48 PM

5. At last. At long last

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:53 PM

6. Why don't they just call health care the right to life

for the born.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:04 PM

7. By continueing to hide the ball Republicans demonstrate how shallow their new

bi-partisanship extends.

WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS HORRIBLE DEATH CARE BILL TO PASS!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Dustlawyer (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:26 PM

11. DEATH CARE - What a great name for what the repugs are trying to do!

Millions will lose their medicaid coverage including innocent little kids. I am so angry with the repugs right now. Every time I think I can't become more angry, I find that I was wrong.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:16 PM

8. WTF!??? I'm Really Starting to Hate this Fucking Country and our Media!!!

Just what the fuck is this sentence???

"but doing so could eviscerate the bipartisan atmosphere that existed after last week's violent attacks against lawmakers at a Congressional Baseball Game practice"

Really CNN????

You know what else "fucking" 'eviscerates' the fucking bi-"fucking" partisan atmosphere?

Oh, I don't know.

Maybe holding fucking secret meetings to write a fucking bill that impacts 1/6th of our fucking economy (not to mention the millions that could fucking die because of it) with zero debate, zero hearings, zero amendments AND NOT EVEN A FUCKING CHANCE TO READ THE GOD DAMN THING.

Maybe fucking blocking a fucking Supreme Court nominee for over a fucking year, and then fucking changing 200 years of fucking Senate rules to steal a fucking lifetime appointment to the fucking Supreme Court.

Maybe fucking winking and nodding while the fucking orange shit-gibbon conducted racist fucking birtherism attacks against President Obama for over 2 fucking years.

Maybe fucking inviting the fucking piece of shit who said he wanted to shove an "Uzi up Hillary Clinton's cunt and pull the trigger" to a warm reception at the fucking White House.

Anyone of those...and a hell of a lot more might just "eviscerate the bi-partisan atmosphere that existed after last weeks violent attacks against lawmakers at a Congressional Baseball Game practice"...

BTW - would it "eviscerate the bi-partisan atmosphere" if I were to point out that those that were shot, were those that have dedicated their fucking lives to making sure the shooter could get all the high-powered guns and military grade ammunition he wanted as easily as possible...AND that they were practicing so early in the morning so that they could be sure to make a 1000 AM vote on easing restrictions on silencers??

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #8)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:20 PM

10. However they define bipartisan, fuck it

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:28 PM

12. I second your motion

them CNN trying to explain some Kumbaya moment of lets get along, right, let's impeach Gorsuch and have a vote on Garland, then we can talk....................

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 04:06 PM

14. That was the sentence that stopped me in my tracks !! WTF!!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 04:10 PM

15. This

x1000

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:19 PM

9. Freeze it and shut it down

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 03:57 PM

13. WHAT bipartisan atmosphere?

If a Democrat had been shot, Republicans would be cheering, saying it was his own fault for not packing enough firepower to stand his ground.

There is NO bipartisan atmosphere in the Senate of the House. Citizens United made sure that any halfway sane Republican was primaried out of existence by well-financed extremists. There are a few fossils left like McCain, Collins and Murkowski, but if McTurtle says BOO! they cower in terror.

I'd tell the Democrats to go by Harry Turman's favorite quote from Tombstone: do yer damndest. Because if you don't, the Republicans will do it to the country. It is getting really depressing watching from afar as the Republicans put their own voters in front of proverbial firing squads, and it's the condemned who yell "FIRE!"

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #13)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 06:04 PM

17. thanks for that sentence

Citizens United made sure that any halfway sane Republican was primaried out of existence by well-financed extremists.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 04:14 PM

16. Call the 11 who are swing senators even if they aren't your rep or state.

I do it all the time since I live in a blue state. Use a fake address from Zillow. They NEVER check and it WORKS! Call the US Senate in Wash DC (202) 224-**** I will list the last 4 digits next to each senator's name and state:
Alexander, TN 4944
Capito, WV 6472
Cassidy, LA 5824
Collins, ME 2523
Cotton, AR 2353
Gardner, CO 5941
Corker, TN 3344
Graham, SC 5972
Heller, NV 6244
Murkowski, AK 6665
Portman, OH 3353
Heller said that he will vote "No" when I called. Tell them a personal story. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #16)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 07:15 PM

18. Great Info!

Folks can also call tomorrow. Gardner's (CO - R) aide hemmed and hawed when I called. That SOB was never going to get my vote, anyhow - that so-called "bipartisan" SOB. I'm doing everything I can in my own small way to make sure he is NOT re-elected in the coming midterms!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread