HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Richard Spencer's [White ...

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 12:39 AM

Richard Spencer's [White Supremacist] appearance at Texas A&M draws protests

Source: CNN

The room felt like a tinder box, ready to devolve any given moment into conflict, only to be calmed diffused by security.

Richard Spencer, the white nationalist who helped found the so-called alt-right movement, embraced the conflict as he spoke at Texas A&M Tuesday night.

For roughly two hours, Spencer delivered his message of white supremacy to a room of 400 people, the vast majority of whom were there in protest. "At the end of the day, America belongs to white men," Spencer said.

As the speech continued, followed by a tense Q&A, Spencer continued to provoke the crowd as he called for white people to "have a goddamn identity." "Race is the foundation of identity," he said. "The word racist is a fake word. No one identifies with the word racist."

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/politics/richard-spencer-texas-am/

While the MSM pushes the meme that Democrats need to get away from "identity" politics, the elephant in the room is that Trump won the election by catering to white men as a racial identity group, and white nationalist groups embraced that.

Also, the use of the term "identity politics" implies a false equivalency between groups like NOW, the NAACP or La Raza that are fighting for voting rights, equality under the law and equal opportunity versus groups like the Ku Klux Klan that are fighting for racial supremacy and the exclusion of non-white people from the U.S.

8 replies, 1477 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Richard Spencer's [White Supremacist] appearance at Texas A&M draws protests (Original post)
TomCADem Dec 2016 OP
Judi Lynn Dec 2016 #1
TeamPooka Dec 2016 #2
TexasTowelie Dec 2016 #3
TomCADem Dec 2016 #4
TexasTowelie Dec 2016 #5
IronLionZion Dec 2016 #6
roamer65 Dec 2016 #7
brooklynite Dec 2016 #8

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 12:47 AM

1. If they have no goodness, no intelligence, they can always be proud they are so white.

[center]

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 12:48 AM

2. alt-right neo-Nazi. say it mainstream press! Fucking say it!

This is the DU member formerly known as TeamPooka.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 02:00 AM

4. "Alt-Right" Is Just Another Way To Obscure The Fact That They Are Racists...

...it is sort of like the use of the word "neo-liberal," which literally means new liberal, but some on this board used to mean closet conservative. I think the creation and use of these various terms of heart really obscure and impair the dialogue, since alt-right almost sounds like grass roots right or anti-establishment right, which does not sound all that bad. Yet, when the word alt-right is used, it almost always refers to a xenophobic or racist Trump follower.

Reply to this post

Response to TomCADem (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 02:56 AM

5. I believe that everyone recognizes that the term is an euphemism.

People are allowed to pick whatever terms they wish to describe themselves and the media usually conforms to the selected vocabulary. It wasn't that long ago that the term "illegal alien" was acceptable to see in print, but now that has changed to "undocumented immigrant." In a similar vein, the word "queer" was thought of as derogatory in the LGBT community, but it has been embraced more recently.

I doubt that any newspaper is going to alienate a substantial portion of their readership by using offensive terminology. When they do so, then the comment sections are quick to point out the mistake. People will choose words to obscure their motives, but it is almost impossible to obscure what is in their hearts.

I'm old enough that I don't get offended very easily because I have bigger issues that I have to deal with. The only exception was recently when my brother put a friend of his on the phone to talk with me, then after I helped to explain something to the libertarian jerk he turned around and tried to blame things on liberals when it was a GOP asshole that screwed the jerk in the first place. It was the fourth or fifth time that I tried to help the guy out and instead of being grateful the jerk decided to be an antagonist instead.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 08:02 AM

6. alt-right is ashamed to be called nazis

Where do they think the word comes from? They proudly claim to be white nationalist. nazi is short for national

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 07:46 PM

7. I hope the fucker gets run over by a bus.

A nice death of natural causes.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 9, 2016, 01:58 PM

8. Sounds like a good arrangement...

He got to speek; others got to protest.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread