HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Chicago Teachers Union, s...

Tue Oct 11, 2016, 09:20 AM

Chicago Teachers Union, school board reach tentative contract agreement

Source: Chicago Tribune

By Juan Perez Jr. and Nereida Moreno

The Chicago Teachers Union announced a tentative contract agreement with the school board minutes before a midnight strike deadline, meaning classrooms in the city will be open Tuesday.

The two sides narrowly averted what would have been the second strike of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s tenure after nearly 12 hours of talks Monday. The four year deal agreed to by union leaders still needs to be ratified by the CTU’s House of Delegates and voted on by full membership.

“What I will tell you is that it wasn't easy, as you all know,” Lewis told reporters late Monday, flanked by CPS Chief Education Officer Janice Jackson and members of the union's Big Bargaining Team.

“Clearly, we had some issues and there's some things we're going to still be working on. But what we found is that what we ended up with is something that's good for kids, is good for clinicians, is good for paraprofessionals, for teachers, for the community and we're very pleased that we were able to come to this tentative agreement,” Lewis said.

FULL story and video: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-teachers-contract-talks-20161010-story.html

Read more: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-teachers-contract-talks-20161010-story.html

1 replies, 638 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chicago Teachers Union, school board reach tentative contract agreement (Original post)
Omaha Steve Oct 2016 OP
TexasBushwhacker Oct 2016 #1

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Oct 11, 2016, 10:50 AM

1. I'm glad to hear this

Teacher strikes, no matter how valid they are, always bring out the anti-teacher backlash. That shit needs to stop.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread