HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Don't vote for Trump,' s...

Thu Sep 29, 2016, 10:41 PM

'Don't vote for Trump,' says USA Today in first presidential endorsement in its history

Source: Los Angeles Times

USA Today broke its 34-year tradition of not endorsing in a presidential race, publishing a scathing argument against voting for Donald Trump.

The editorial board unanimously found Trump "unfit for the presidency" and the editorial, published Thursday, goes on to list the reasons why, among them: his "erratic" behavior and his "checkered" business past.

The anti-Trump sentiment does not translate into an enthusiastic Clinton endorsement. The piece notes that although some editorial board members admire her record, others have "serious reservations about Clinton’s sense of entitlement, her lack of candor and her extreme carelessness in handling classified information."

The editorial urges readers to follow their convictions, whether that means voting for Clinton, a third-party candidate, a write-in or by focusing on down-ticket races.

The piece ends on an unequivocal note.

"Whatever you do, however, resist the siren song of a dangerous demagogue. By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump."

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-live-updates-trailguide-don-t-vote-for-trump-says-usa-today-1475192834-htmlstory.html

5 replies, 2106 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Don't vote for Trump,' says USA Today in first presidential endorsement in its history (Original post)
EricMaundry Sep 2016 OP
rusty quoin Sep 2016 #1
Missn-Hitch Sep 2016 #3
Thinkingabout Sep 2016 #2
Snellius Sep 2016 #4
shenmue Sep 2016 #5

Response to EricMaundry (Original post)

Thu Sep 29, 2016, 11:05 PM

1. That's big. I've had conservative friends who used it as their go to paper.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rusty quoin (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 30, 2016, 01:45 AM

3. Same here. The Reader's Digest of newspapers, isn't it? I haven't picked one up in years.

My brother is a "vote the platform" conservative (deep down I suspect theocratic fascist). I grinned thinking about him reading this.

Cheers.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 29, 2016, 11:25 PM

2. I love the picture, he makes so many frowns. Good to

It is good to see USA Today asking people to vote for Hillary, they are seeing some of the same problems we seeing, Trump is a disaster.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 30, 2016, 12:22 PM

4. This is a very big deal.

I go across the country fairly often. USA Today is the only national paper anyone really looks at between the Mississippi and the Rockies and it really tends to be reliably middle of the road leaning Midwest conservative, trying to not offend any side. I check it out all the time to get a gauge of the middle American mood. For them to denounce Trump so definitely, even passionately, in the middle of Trump country is a very big deal. Trump is right that it will probably lose readership but the editorial board deserves a huge congratulation for standing up for what is right.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 30, 2016, 03:25 PM

5. Yes

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread